Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It took a bit of research but here are the weights of stock and after market wheels for the Supersport , note some rears are 6" instead of 5.5 .

The specs are from vendors pages, can't vouch if they are completely accurate, this is just to give folks a general Idea.

For every ounce in static weight reduction on the rim, the equivalence dynamically (while in motion) is significant (about 12.5 lbs of weight at 50mph, 24 lbs at 100mph and 36 lbs at 150mph)

Marchesini : M10 Spoke magnesium 5.6 kg/set (12.4 lbs) $3,791
M7r Genesi forged alu 7.1KG/set (15.47 lbs) $2711 gold anondized
OZ Cattiva (5.6 kg/set (12.4 lbs) Magnesium Front : 5.9 lbs 6" 6.5lbs $3670 set
OZ GASS RS Alu (6.81 Kg set (15 lbs) with 6" rear Weight: front Weight: set $2,371.65
BST Mamba TEK 7 Spoke Carbon Fiber(5.77kg/12.7lbs set) 6" Rear $3540 set

Attachments

Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Registered
There is no Superleggera version of ours so... :))) One more thing to consider would be the rear sprocket I think.
Akrapovic, light wheels, lighter sprocket - suddenly 110 HP is not little :) Just a nice thought play.

Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've considered the 14 tooth front , or upping the rear ..I'll wait until I ride it. While I like the Akro the $ is ridiculous for such a small gain in power (with labor $1000 per) . Lighter wheels make a difference for sure. The stock ones are chinese. My other bike is a Triumph Thruxton TFC cafe racer ( limited carbon bodied run of 750) , and it is about the same power, brakes , suspension specs.

Attachments

Registered
Small addition - with 14 tooth front, the revs will be higher in around 60-70 miles. For me 6-6,5 k rpm with OEM in that legal range is ideal [symmetry on the dashboard is a bonus :)] and I ride more longer trips. I read this on forum some time ago and convinced me to leave stock.

Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I talked with the sales guy at the dealer who like me is in his 60's and a former racer , he said leave it alone. I'm inclined to do so. Wheels on the other hand , are much more likely . Love the OZ and M7r's in gold , and carbon is under consideration as I'll never do track days . At 66 , with 31 broken bones, torn up knees,shoulders and wrists ..my fun is just enjoying the twisties at a brisk pace.

Registered
You left out the OZ Gass wheels. They're just like the Cattiva but made of aluminum instead of magnesium. I have a series of OZ wheels on bunch of my bikes and the Gass is probably the best combination of weight, durability, and price.

I guess applicable to this: I have two Desmosedicis. For those that don't know, they came stock with 16" rear wheels. The tire choices are non existent and the Bridgestones that are stock are quite crappy. To get real tires, you need to go to 17" wheels. Marchesini makes a version the magnesium M7r Genesi (the stock wheel) in 17" specifically for D16RR owners to upgrade the rear to 17". I ordered one and have it on but it is really expensive. For my second D16RR, I went with a complete set of OZ Gass wheels. I could have done the Cattiva but I don't think that the lightweight magnesium Cattivas are as durable for road use. Even though the D16RR Genesi is magnesium, it is quite heavy for magnesium (in fact the OZ Gass is lighter). Obviously this is for durability.

Just my $.02 but hopefully it helps.

Reactions: Ed K and Duluthian

Registered
Thanks! I think the OZ's are gorgeous, they don't list it as compatible for the SS ( although they for the monster so I suspect it should fit . The GASS is 9.90 kg set $2,371.65
I don't think that's right. I'm sure that you found that number is some place reliable but I have the info as a set of Gass wheels (for the D16RR, anyway) are 1.8 lbs more than the magnesium Cattivas and 2 lbs less than the stock magnesium wheels.

It's very possible that the one for the SS would be more than that but I have a hard time thinking that they're 10kg for a set when the stock wheels are 7.1kg. It would actually take a ton of work to make the wheels that heavy.

Reactions: RobertVP

Registered
I talked with the sales guy at the dealer who like me is in his 60's and a former racer , he said leave it alone. I'm inclined to do so. Wheels on the other hand , are much more likely . Love the OZ and M7r's in gold , and carbon is under consideration as I'll never do track days . At 66 , with 31 broken bones, torn up knees,shoulders and wrists ..my fun is just enjoying the twisties at a brisk pace.
"Leave it alone" ? Meaning the 14t sprocket? For $20 I'd do that before opening by wallet for anything else.

Don't get me wrong, the bike is sneaky quick, it just feels a little anemic. I think the bike is over geared, given the close ratio gearbox. Agility OTOH is pretty amazing right out of the box- bike is light & balanced with good leverage riding position. Just my two cents.

It's a really nice ride in the hills, leave it in 4th and you're in the sweet spot from 35 mph up to ? Even my 1200 Suzuki needs me to saw the gearbox but the Duc has a steady powerband.

Registered
I have the forged Panigale S wheels, here are the weights in comparison to the stock SS wheels:

Rear with tyre: 10.4 Kg. Original was 11.5 Kg
Front with tyre: 6.9 Kg. Original was 8.0 Kg.

You could just take the delta off the original wheel only weight you already have above.

Matt

Registered
Are you sure about the weight of the stock wheels? According to your data the stock front is lighter than Gass RS. I don't think that is correct...
By far the best upgrade one can make to motorcycle is lighter wheels. Lighter wheels help braking, acceleration and make the bike maneuver more quickly.
The difference with BSTs is more than just the lighter weight. It's where the weight is. The actual rim is very, very light reducing gyroscopic forces immensely compared to a metal rim.
I ran BSTs on my ST4S for 10 years and 50,000miles. They transformed the bike.
My SSS is running OZ Gass RS. I would have loved to get another set of BSTs. I didn't because, like my ST4S the SSS is usually away from home when changing tires - as in on a road trip. Changing tires on a BST rim isn't difficult but does require the mechanic to be a little more careful. I found that many shops wouldn't even change tires on my BST rims - and I didn't want some shops to touch them!!

The upshot is that if you change your own tires or have a local shop you trust and are willing to accept the cost of admission - go for the BSTs!~

Stock Supersport wheels :7.1KG (15.47 lbs) Front: 2.85 kg = 6.28 lbs/ Rear 4.17 KG = 9.19 lbs.

Marchesini : M10 Spoke magnesium 5.6 kg/set (12.4 lbs) $3,791
M7r Genesi forged alu 7.1KG/set (15.47 lbs) $2711 gold anondized
OZ Cativa (5.6 kg/set (12.4 lbs) Magnesium Front : 5.9 lbs 6" 6.5lbs $3670 set
OZ GASS RS Alu (6.81 Kg set) with 6" rear Weight: 8.0 lbs front Weight: 7.0 lbs set $2,371.65
BST Mamba TEK 7 Spoke Carbon Fiber(5.77kg/12.7lbs set) Front 5.65 lbs.2.56 kg 6" Rear 7.05 lb. (3.19 kg) $3540 set

Registered
I have 1098S forged Marchesini Aluminum wheels on mine. I find, on line, weights of 8.82 lb front and 13.8 lb rear For them. I question the weights posted above for the stock wheels.

Registered
I have the forged Panigale S wheels, here are the weights in comparison to the stock SS wheels:

Rear with tyre: 10.4 Kg. Original was 11.5 Kg
Front with tyre: 6.9 Kg. Original was 8.0 Kg.

You could just take the delta off the original wheel only weight you already have above.

Matt
An add-on to this: I know someone who took off the forged V4 Panigale wheels to put on the magnesium Panigale wheels and found that the weights (with tires) were nearly identical. I think that's worth noting.

Reactions: Duluthian

Registered
My point is, if stock SSS wheels only weigh 9.19 lbs for rear, I鈥檇 have never changed them. My memory is that it lopped 2-2:5 lbs of each going from stock to Marchesini forged from 1098S.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts