Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As we all know our Ducati Supersport (Sports Tourer)has a Useless rear Mudguard / Hugger. you drive through a teaspoon of water and get a bucket load shooting up the side and back of the seat leaving the rider with swamp ass for the rest of the trip
Therefore it cant really be classed as a sport tourer, oh it does the touring job very well ……… when its not wet ! I added the Pyramid plastics extension on which helped some but did not solve the problem entirely. I have had a few ideas on what would help solve this problem for a while but just haven't had the time till today.
My aim is to make a shield that can be put on and taken off quickly and easily. Be able to stow away under the seat, in a tank bag or crumpled up to fit in a box the size of Marlboro 20pack.
I made the 1st prototype and tested it....
I started on a rear stand in 1st gear with the hose pipe running over the back wheel which worked. 2nd I took it for a ride down the motorway aiming for every bit of lying water and puddle. It worked
I have at least 2 more prototype designs to make changing the angles and attachment points (some brackets involved off the tail tidy) but at least i know it wont be in vein and i will have a usable solution in the end.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,656 Posts
A very clever idea @Rhino and, as said above, it doesn't look that bad. What's it made from? It looks like a big piece of rubber from an inner tube.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Dude, that is a slick little solution!

I’d buy one in a heartbeat but unfortunately I don’t have my rear arms for the pillion pegs on anymore (Akra system).

Well done, brother....I think it’s a great solution.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A very clever idea @Rhino and, as said above, it doesn't look that bad. What's it made from? It looks like a big piece of rubber from an inner tube.
this one is made from A black on Black Tonneau material. I will be doing one in neoprene (wetsuit material) which I know will work but ideally I want to end up with a super strong light weight product like parachute material (cordova) it does not need to stretch as it is cut and shaped.

I’d buy one in a heartbeat but unfortunately I don’t have my rear arms for the pillion pegs on anymore (Akra system).

Yes I usually ride with out mine too but I have had to put them on for this exercise. Its not only the length of the hugger that's the problem but the width and those pillion peg arms are just the thing to attach to
Thats clever and not too fugly. What are your thoughts production wise?
By the time I'm finished mucking around and testing I suspect that I will have a very simple and cheep to produce product, But I have no plans to make and sell these.

·
Registered
743 Posts

Ditto for me. I agree it seems a good idea.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,656 Posts
Great ingenuity! Now, to come up with a solution that doesn't require the rear pegs...
Without the pillion hangers the next forward anchor point would be the heel plate sections of the rider's footrest plates. Bit of a long stretch maybe?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Great ingenuity! Now, to come up with a solution that doesn't require the rear pegs...
Hmm now that is going to take a little modification but can be done.

Without the pillion hangers the next forward anchor point would be the heel plate sections of the rider's footrest plates. Bit of a long stretch maybe?
So the way to achieve it is to make a anchor point at the two bolts that hold the hugger to the swing arm. Should be simple enough. The only variable is the different tail tidy everyone has . It would probably work better as it would start closer to the tyre

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Hmm now that is going to take a little modification but can be done.

So the way to achieve it is to make a anchor point at the two bolts that hold the hugger to the swing arm. Should be simple enough. The only variable is the different tail tidy everyone has . It would probably work better as it would start closer to the tyre
Use eyelets where the pillion pegs would be.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Use eyelets where the pillion pegs would be.
:rolleyes::rolleyes: No that wont work for a Bikini (designed to stop you from getting saturated while riding in the wet) But it would work as the 1st Supersport Thong !!!!! (designed to do nothing but whistle in the wind ) :laugh: it has to be wide enough at the bottom to cover the width of the tyre.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
If I were at EvoTech, I’d be dreaming in CAD right now to whip up some extensions off the subframe where the pillion peg arms attach.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I were at EvoTech, I’d be dreaming in CAD right now to whip up some extensions off the subframe where the pillion peg arms attach.
Now that I have taken the time to think this I realise that no after market /carbon provider has bothered to think about providing a solution. in my opinion someone could take the OEM hugger and re shape it to solve the problem. It only needs to be wider and longer . I might build up my old one with fibreglass and filler just to prove it can be done.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think this is a great idea. There are a couple members on here thinking about making additional parts for the Super Sport (@revoconner comes to mind). Maybe hit him up for ideas on how to make the "bikini" attachable to different areas of the bike. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Wait...there is a simple solution, and one that I employ regularly.

Just don't ride in the rain, or with the threat of rain. Problem solved, lol.

>:)
Down there though, you’d only ride maybe once a month if you skipped days with the threat of rain!!!

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Actually, you know who might be able to help out is Ace “Bongwater” Johnson.

He designed and fab’d up a key guard GoPro/Phone mount last year.

He may be able to come up with a slick solution for those that don’t need their pillion arms and have removed them.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts