Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum but not to motorcycling nor Ducati Supersports. I've been riding for 55 years, mostly on sport bikes, but I've also ridden many miles on sport touring bikes - BMW K100RS, Ducati 907, 900SS and Monster 1200.

I have an MV Agusta F3 675 sitting in my garage currently, but that bike is too sport focused for much of the riding I like to do, so the new SS is of great interest to me. For my needs/wants, the new SS should be just what I'm looking for. I owned a '99 SS for fifteen years after heavily modifying it to my tastes - 355 lbs. with all fluids except fuel, 95 RWHP, 77 lbs-ft torque.

I have a competition background, having raced a Ducati Pantah in WERA and the old AMA "Battle of the Twins" series in the '80s, winning back-to-back national championships on my Pantah.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome to the boards, glad to have another member that is well seasoned ! What other bikes have you been looking at against the SS ?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Welcome to the boards, glad to have another member that is well seasoned ! What other bikes have you been looking at against the SS ?
That's the great thing that comes with certain bikes, it gets individuals of a certain background and experience. Often the list of bikes some people come from that shop in this segment is LONG. I've seen 10, 15, 20, 25 bikes on some of these lists

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before the new SS was announced I rode a BMW R1200RS, which was a nice machine, but my heart wasn't really into it. I also have considered the Honda Interceptor, but, again, I'd prefer something lighter and Italian.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've already traded my R1200RS in for the Supersport. It was agreat bike but I just couldnt fall completely in love with it. There was always something which I found difficult to put my finger on. Perhaps the look of that boxer twin and the high mechanical noise from the engine. Yes I know Ducati's can be noisy too but with the beemer as the cyclinders stick out there's nothing in the way of the noise passing to your ears, other than your helmet.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've already traded my R1200RS in for the Supersport. It was agreat bike but I just couldnt fall completely in love with it. There was always something which I found difficult to put my finger on. Perhaps the look of that boxer twin and the high mechanical noise from the engine. Yes I know Ducati's can be noisy too but with the beemer as the cyclinders stick out there's nothing in the way of the noise passing to your ears, other than your helmet.
Another observation about the BMW twins - the firing order is such that they sound like they're working harder at speed than a comparable Ducati or Moto Guzzi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts