Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
181 - 200 of 221 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
So I have this little spot where I go to test my bikes, Breaking, suspension adjustments, manoeuvres etc. its great on Sundays, no one around and you can run bends both clockwise and anti clockwise, so its perfect to practice taking bends at the Max 48 degree lean angle. The reason I am doing this is because it is just too easy to go past the 48` lean angle and I have been way past on a few occasions with the rear tyre starting to slide out. So I decided that I needed to practice trying to just get to 48 and no more, the idea is to get used to the feel of the 48` so I can recognise the danger point. (fear is usually my danger point but on this bike fear comes way way after 48`:eek:). I made a short video to illustrate this. https://youtu.be/tZhhe6o9cmA
So, I saw the kerfuffle and thought I'd go back and read the whole thread.

I didn't need to read past the first post.

Great contributions to the Forum, Rhino.

Keep on gettin' your lean on!

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
From my experience the only place you can safely reach those limits is on a race track, where you are able to push the bike further than on the street.
rz, I think your intentions are noble but your position seems a bit inflexible and is perhaps having the opposite of your desired effect.

Rhino, like many others here, is a smart guy and knows a track would be optimal and that you can push a bike further on a track with drastically less restrictions.

However, if a track is not close by, would you suggest all our SS owners simply stay off their outer edges of usable tread?

It's great that you raced and had frequent access to a track. Others have not had that kind of access and some will never have that access. In light of that, I don't think the absence of a track is going to remove the natural temptation to learn the performance parameters of the bike, especially if there are twisties nearby.

So, rather than poo-poo the idea, I rather think embracing it is the better option.

And I think what Rhino has done is admirable. He's jocked up with the right gear, he's picked a spot of road where traffic is predictably light or absent and he's tested out the adjustments of his suspension to get to know his bike in the interest of safety while traveling with his mates on busier public roads.

Sounds like an MSF Instructor's dream student. What's not to embrace and endorse?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
One of my mates Is Dutch and Rides a Triumph. i went for a quick practice ride to keep the skills up, some large roundabouts and spots where there are some challenging corners and my mate texted me asking what i was doing. He said he would come and join me so we met at an arranged spot. I had been there 15minutes practicing before he turned up. When he got there i pointed at my Gopro and said be carful you don't run over my Camera ! its over there. Can you see it...……………….("YES I SEE IT " ).... Thought I would post this just for a laugh. maybe I'm easily Amused but I found it funny.

·
Administrator
7,987 Posts
Its warming up nicely, my Rosso Corsa 11s have been scrubbed in so I decided to try out some new GoPro mounting points. nice ride love the tyres Picked up a big Nail in the rear Grrrrrrrrrrrr.:mad: anyway:grin2::eek:
Interesting GoPro mount, I guess it’s stable enough for clear pics(?)...

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Its warming up nicely, my Rosso Corsa 11s have been scrubbed in so I decided to try out some new GoPro mounting points. nice ride love the tyres Picked up a big Nail in the rear Grrrrrrrrrrrr.:mad: anyway:grin2::eek:
Cool pics. Time to get that cool down suit out again. I had mine on today, works a charm that thing.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
@Rhino With each vid, it seems the lean angle is getting a bit lower!
Lol. Thanks but :laugh: No mate. If you look carefully you will see that the bike is at the same or similar lean angle. But the body position changes . I suppose that gives the impression of more lean at times :laugh: if I’m going faster I hang off further and deeper etc. This is where I practice so when I hit the canyons I know where the safe limits are.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Winter is here now, the days are sunny and awesome but the air is cold and the sun low. Haven't been for a practice in a while so thought i better brush up on the skills. This time of year its easy to forget how cold the tyres get when you slow or stop for a chat. I have to remember to do a couple of laps to put some heat back in the tyres before tipping her over. Damn good fun this bike
Cloud Tire Sky Wheel Plant

Attachments

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Round and round the roundabout the ragged rascal rode ;)

Reactions: Rhino

·
Registered
296 Posts
Wow. I can only dream of riding like that. Starting this sport at 50 has left it too late methinks (not stopping me from trying tho, hence why I am getting coaching). @Rhino did you scrape the exhaust ever, as you seem to still have the stock setup?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
Wow. I can only dream of riding like that. Starting this sport at 50 has left it too late methinks (not stopping me from trying tho, hence why I am getting coaching). @Rhino did you scrape the exhaust ever, as you seem to still have the stock setup?
Thanks mate, yes I have scraped the exhaust and the pegs..gear lever, brake lever..and the kickstand. All in my exploration stage. I have upgraded my front springs, raised the ride hight and changed the profile of my rear tyre so it’s less likely to happen again. Ps my new exhaust has been ordered and on a slow boat heading my way. Age is not a limit on this bike, you will get there. Correct suspension setup, good body position and great tyres = confidence 👍

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Knee down action will come with confidence and practice - don't force it or it will go wrong. I am more confident on left hand bends than right hand ones.

I love the satisfying skrrrrschhh of a knee slider on tarmac. Sadly for me those days are over as I havn't got the mobility in my hips after a hip replacment.

181 - 200 of 221 Posts