Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
161 - 180 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
You need to introduce us to your technique for going around a turn. To me the only way is to lean the bike over. So knowing its limits is rather important.
Knowing the limits is fine, but approaching them regularly on the street isn't. Attaching a lean angle "number" to the cornering process is somewhat irrelevant. Knowing what touches down first is important. From my experience the only place you can safely reach those limits is on a race track, where you are able to push the bike further than on the street.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have adjusted, upgraded and modified the suspension, Tyre size and most importantly my riding position to make sure I am using the LEAST amount of lean angle, rather chasing the lowest lean angle. :grin2:
Knowing the limits is fine, but approaching them regularly on the street isn't. Attaching a lean angle "number" to the cornering process is somewhat irrelevant. Knowing what touches down first is important.
Seems to me you have both arrived at exactly the same place. 'Ground clearance management' in corners on the road is what I reckon its all about. And that includes always aiming to maintain a safety margin of clearance through corners to handle that unexpected dip in the worst part of the corner that compresses the suspension further, or the sharp downhill reducing radius corner where the road camber goes negative. When the toe of my boot touches the road I know I'm eating into my safety margin of peg clearance (no I don't ride hanging my boots over the front of the pegs).

'Ground clearance management' may seem on the face of it a simple concept, but it incorporates just about every aspect of motorcycle setup and riding technique. So one I reckon worth perusing no matter what your preferred riding pace.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Perhaps that's because the SS isn't a full-on performance bike like the Panigales, which, given its mission in the Ducati portfolio, is fine by me.
The Panigale isn't a MotoGP bike. Does that mean you're not going to test the Pani's limit? Or your limit?

Let people ride and discuss, man.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Jesus, every performance thread has been turning into a "Safety and Responsibility" lecture lately. TF?
Agreed. We already have a safety thread.. Folks should post their conservatism in there.
My parents stopped telling me how to ride many decades ago and my Mrs never has.
All makes for good relationships. >:)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Agreed. We already have a safety thread.. Folks should post their conservatism in there.
My parents stopped telling me how to ride many decades ago and my Mrs never has.
All makes for good relationships. >:)
Conservatism is born of experience. I've already done pure sport bikes, big mileage days, track days and a successful racing career. The SS purchase was made because my days of impressing others with what I buy are behind me. IMO the SS is a bike that shows you've grown up and know what you need versus what you might think you want.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Perhaps this is more suitable for those that feel riding the SS to its potential is to be avoided.
Now why did you resort to this? All I've ever said is if you want to ride to the limits, do it on a race track. Heck, if you're fast enough they'll even pay you do do it!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Now why did you resort to this? All I've ever said is if you want to ride to the limits, do it on a race track. Heck, if you're fast enough they'll even pay you do do it!
I took offence to your statement regarding riding the SS at good lean angles and comparing that style to needing a panigale. If I wanted a Pani I would have one, but after testing them I decided for the SS instead.
One doesn't need a 200hp bike to enjoy the twisties. In fact there's a member here that can't get above 50mph where he lives but his chicken strips are less than a match stick, just from going to work. Enjoying the SS for what it's capable of does not mean being reckless. You'll know, most bikers leave enough buffer for recovery.
As for Rhino, he has his own little public zone that's empty on certain days and he goes there to practice, and he has informed us of the SS limits. He was not reckless and hasn't fallen off but thanks to him we know the points where parts begin to grind.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
FFS @rz33v4 By all means have your say and give your opinion even if its negative and passive aggressive after all we are not all the same but in future can you try and keep it to one or two posts droning on about the same SH1T !!! man you are quite annoying. I am quite pissed off that my Awesome thread has taken this tone THANKS. Have your response post and then **** off to someone else's thread!

·
Registered
477 Posts
@Rhino , read though most of the thread but might have missed it. What did you do to raise the bike enough to keep the cat/silencers from scraping, other than setting sag and fitting a stronger shock spring? Had that issue when I was on track earlier in the spring.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
@Rhino , read though most of the thread but might have missed it. What did you do to raise the bike enough to keep the cat/silencers from scraping, other than setting sag and fitting a stronger shock spring? Had that issue when I was on track earlier in the spring.
Yeah I must have posted it somewhere else maybe on a suspension thread. Basically all I did was re sprung the bike correctly and raised the ride hight through preload when re setting the SAG (its all you can do) but once you have the right spring setup the bike will never compress to the point that the Cat will touch. I found that I still had to raise my gear and break lever as much as I could as they were touching the tarmac.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I, too, had scraped the cat, even with sag set. I was putting a nice chamfer on the side of my boots as well.

Fitting the 'heavier' front spring, and resetting the sag (of course) has fixed that. For now...

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,723 Posts
Very impressive Rhino. You're a bolder man than me :D

Reactions: Rhino

·
Registered
659 Posts
@Rhino, Holy **** (I mean Holy Toledo) Batman, that's some serious lean you got going there :surprise:

Reactions: Rhino
161 - 180 of 221 Posts