Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
SuperSport 939 MY19
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So does anyone else out there cringe when you refer to your ride as the “SuperSport”? I note many here use the name SS 939.
I know I do. There’s something in a name that attempts to advertise what the thing is not, like the Democratic Republic of Congo, which appears to be neither democratic nor a republic.
Now don’t get me wrong, the SuperSport is a great bike to ride and a super ride, but it’s not the sportiest member of the Ducati family. And using SS 939 pays a nod to it’s forebears the 900 SS.
How do others feel?
(PS No Shakespearean quotes about roses, names, and still smelling sweet... etc) :)

·
Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
217 Posts
No cringe here ..the Supersport heritage is well earned in my book. People get too hung up on what is the latest /best, yet what most love is a classic. I think of my 950 S as a modern classic . 20 years from now it's charm will not diminish

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I use everywhere the name Supersport. On our forum mostly SS for shortcut. Majority don't know even what's behind Supersport so I can explain but apart from that the name is more uniqe than more familiar 996, 1199, etc. It's how I see it.

·
Registered
SuperSport 939 MY19
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No cringe here ..the Supersport heritage is well earned in my book. People get too hung up on what is the latest /best, yet what most love is a classic. I think of my 950 S as a modern classic . 20 years from now it's charm will not diminish
Definitely a beautiful design! A piece of art really! No disappointment or disagreement there.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I refer to my bike as a Ducati Supersport - that's its name. I very rarely call it an SS. I drive a BMW Active Tourer and when people ask what car I have, I say a BMW Active Tourer - I don't just say a Beemer.

If people think that the name of their bike/car/wife (insert other appropriate belonging here) is wrong, then they should have got a different bike/car/wife 😂

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
SuperSport 939 MY19
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I refer to my bike as a Ducati Supersport - that's its name. I very rarely call it an SS. I drive a BMW Active Tourer and when people ask what car I have, I say a BMW Active Tourer - I don't just say a Beemer.

If people think that the name of their bike/car/wife (insert other appropriate belonging here) is wrong, then they should have got a different bike/car/wife 😂
The bike is beautiful. Period.
However, the name is not so.
Then again, being Australian, we have a thing about ‘cutting down tall poppies’, so anything that has “Super” as part of its every day name is ripe for cutting down. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I always call it a Supersport and I really couldn’t figure out the confusion at first. That’s what Ducati has always called it’s sport bike calibrated for street riding and I thought everyone understood that. It seems like at some point between when I first lusted after one in the nineties and their reintroduction in 2017, the term “Supersport” came to represent a whole category of bikes. Really over the top sport bikes in which our beloved beauty doesn’t really fit. I may be wrong but I don’t think it was generally used that way back in the day. It seems like we had ”standards”, “sport bikes”, ”cruisers” and then “super bikes”. I think the latter may have been what seem to be called “super sports” by many today. Ducati still used the name to honor the heritage and the mostly old guys who bought it knew what they meant :LOL:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't cringe at all and refer to it as a "900 SuperSport" when asked. It IS a 900 SuperSport. I guess with the release of the 950 SuperSport, I'll should technically call it a 939 SuperSport. As Oldrider suggests, I think you may be juxtaposing the current definition of a class of motorcycles, "Super Sport" with the name Ducati has applied to a line of motorcycles since the 90 called "SuperSport".

I recall being drawn to the 900 SS (also called SuperSport at the time) in the 90's. It was gorgeous and so straight forward. I was very close to selling my original 1986 Ninja 900 for it. Even then the 900 SS was not the leading edge in motorcycling (horsepower or technology) by a long shot. It never has been about that. Rather it's about a sporty bike that is/was comfortable and looked great. I think the current version matches that definition perfectly.

I realize that some people (especially the current generation) will confuse SuperSport with the Super Sport current class or SuperSport = Super FAST!. When I get that sense from talking with someone I simply say that this Ducati is more a grandpa GT or gentlemen's sport bike. Or as Ducati says, "a comfortable sport bike".

All that said, I never cringe or am embarrassed with what it this bike is. I bought it for exactly what it is. I could have pretty much purchased any bike I wanted at the time. This is the one I chose and I'm not too interested in what anyone else thinks. They'll ride theirs (if they have one) and I'll ride mine. Simple enough.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Sorry Rodders_SS937 but despite your explanation, I can't understand why you cringe when hearing your bikes name.

Reactions: NothingClever

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
To me, a supersport is a lightweight, lower-powered bike designed for handling over outright speed. Check out the nomeclature used in racing. Superbikes, on the other hand, suggest as much power as possible. Following that definition, the supersport is well named...

·
Registered
115 Posts
The thing that gets me about the name is having to explain the jargon difference between the SuperSport and the meaning of "SuperSport" in a racing club/class context. I'm a total nerd and most of the riders I know (except those that race or are avid race fans) haven't the foggiest clue about how race classes and homologation work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts