Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to see if anyone else here has experience the rear brake locking up on their SS.. Mine locked up on me while riding with my son the other day. The brakes got so hot that the rotor was glowing red, the rear caliper has changed color from silver to bronze and the ABS wire for the rear has melted. Bike is currently at local Ducati Dealer. I'll keep you all posted with update if you want.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,631 Posts
I have come across this before on Ducatis and other bikes. It's usually caused by not having enough free play at the linkage that pushes on the master cylinder piston. This prevents the piston fully returning so that the bleed hole back to the reservoir remains covered. The result of this is that the fluid can't return to the reservoir when the brake is released causing the brake pads to initially drag on the disc creating heat. As it gets hotter the fluid expands worsening the problem until the brake locks up. As you can imagine it can have more disastrous consequences if it is the front which is as affected.
It should have been checked by the dealer at the PDI.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mine did the same - except didn't lock up - it dragged the brake pad till it heated up the disc enough to melt the brake line and cause a nice little fire. Ducati said of course it wasn't their fault and F45K U on the warranty claim. Would check your rear brake line and the ABS speed sensor to see what shape they are in.

Reactions: MotoNut

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, it just locked up.. Dealer suspects something internally wrong with caliper. possible heat related being that the caliper being close to the exhaust.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
In the 2014 monster service manual it states the rear master cylinder shaft mount should be greased. I recently used marine grease on mine. Marine grease is perhaps not as durable as the specified grease but it is more water retardant.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have come across this before on Ducatis and other bikes. It's usually caused by not having enough free play at the linkage that pushes on the master cylinder piston. This prevents the piston fully returning so that the bleed hole back to the reservoir remains covered. The result of this is that the fluid can't return to the reservoir when the brake is released causing the brake pads to initially drag on the disc creating heat. As it gets hotter the fluid expands worsening the problem until the brake locks up. As you can imagine it can have more disastrous consequences if it is the front which is as affected.
It should have been checked by the dealer at the PDI.
I'm with you on this being the most likely cause. The fact the disk was glowing red hot means the rear pads had to have been dragging for some time prior to lockup. What could cause that? Badly corroded pistons preventing the pads from releasing, collapsed hose, or as you say a poorly adjusted master cylinder.

What's the chance of pistons being that badly corroded on a relatively new bike, or a collapsed hose, very little (but this is coming from someone who lives where there is no need to dump salt on roads). So that just leaves the most likely cause, as you say, poorly adjusted master cylinder.

P.S. Or the rider unknowingly dragging the back brake by resting their toe on the pedal, just thought of that 'left field' possibility.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Or the rider unknowingly dragging the back brake by resting their toe on the pedal, just thought of that 'left field' possibility.
I had forgotten about that possibility.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to see if anyone else here has experience the rear brake locking up on their SS.. Mine locked up on me while riding with my son the other day. The brakes got so hot that the rotor was glowing red, the rear caliper has changed color from silver to bronze and the ABS wire for the rear has melted. Bike is currently at local Ducati Dealer. I'll keep you all posted with update if you want.
hello, how was the problem solves, hello, I have a 2013 monster 1100 evo and the rear brake starts to lock up when I ride for about an hour, seems to be from pressure unable to be relieved from the master cylinder, tried adjusting at several positions the push rod but it continues to lock up, pretty scary since it only gives a few seconds warning once I notice bike slowing down before it becomes completely locked, can't even push the bike at this point

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
If there sufficient free play at the pushrod then the only other likelihood is that the piston is sticking in the master cylinder. A strip down and rebuild might fix it but new rear master cylinders are not expensive, so might be your best option.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Another thing to consider is a failure of the Brake pad itself Brembo currently have a worldwide recall and urgent replacement of there brake pads. Apparently they are separating / sheering off and getting jammed. Both Ducati and Aprilia are on the list here in Australia.

·
Super Moderator
5,966 Posts
Another thing to consider is a failure of the Brake pad itself Brembo currently have a worldwide recall and urgent replacement of there brake pads. Apparently they are separating / sheering off and getting jammed. Both Ducati and Aprilia are on the list here in Australia.
Appears Triumphs are impacted too.

For Ducati, appears so far, to only be related to Superleggera part number 07.9882.36 with compound material code BRM10B.

Hearing any word in Australia about it applying more generally to other Ducati models?

Meanwhile the Brembo site apparently no longer lists the compound BRM10B.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If there sufficient free play at the pushrod then the only other likelihood is that the piston is sticking in the master cylinder. A strip down and rebuild might fix it but new rear master cylinders are not expensive, so might be your best option.
thanks for fast reply, ill look into the brake freeplay itself, strange I've been riding motorcycles for decades and this has never happened before, brake pads have been replaced about 6 months ago but this problem started out of the blue without any recent adjustments

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2019 S is at the dealer right now for this issue. New, caliper, new cable and sensor, new pads, brake line and master cylinder.
My cable sheared and wedged between the disc and swingarm, locking the rear wheel. Brake fluid escaped and set the caliper on fire. I hastily freed my member from my one piece race leathers and fulfilled childhood fantasies of being a fireman 😆.
My bike is dry stored and immaculate, only covered 3400 miles.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Happened to me and the cause was what @Derek stated, not enough free play in the linkage. I had adjusted my brake pedal to reduce the throw, both the rod length and pedal stop, but apparently it didn't have enough to complete the cycle. In my case I felt a bit of a drag coming out of a corner and then coming out of the next corner and over a hill the bike was pulled down to a dead stop. Couldn't budge the wheel or the brake pedal, completely frozen, in the middle of road. Once it cooled down (maybe 10 mins of anxiously looking looking up stream to see what comes next) it freed up and allowed me to limp home. I ended up increasing the play and replacing the pads after de-glazing the rotor. All good now, it's been at least 800 miles or so.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Do you use the rear brake? I wonder my chance to get it. I use every time, in the city even more than the front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
sure enough it was the brake pedal stop screw became loose so the pressure relief return hole was apparently blocked causing build up of pressure, thanks a million

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
sure enough it was the brake pedal stop screw became loose so the pressure relief return hole was apparently blocked causing build up of pressure, thanks a million
Good to hear it was a simple fix. (y)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts