Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
It start around a year ago, the moment Ducati did the premiere of the SS and SSS. At that moment I was looking with one eye to replace my beloved Monster S4.
I always said that I want a liquid cooled monster or the successor of the ST3/4 or SS. So the M1200 came out, I was thinking that would be to much for me.
I had in 2015 the chance (rent for 40th birthday) to ride 1299S for 10days and did 1000mls, to much for me, no nice seating position for daily use. In 2016/2017 I did some smaller rides for fun with the scrambler(s) (to light), Diavel (nothing for me), and the Multistada (nice but I'm not always travelling around when riding a bike)

So early 2017... MotoPuro (MP) in Neunen give me the chance to ride the first miles with the monster 1200S and the Supersport S.
First it was the Moster 1200S (Gray-Red) After 350km with the brand new (only 20km on the tacho when I left the store) the Monster was giving me what I want, but was a little overpowered for me. What I liked was all the electronics, DQS, brakes sound and riding position (Seat).
The day after I took the SSS (white-red) for a spin (also 80km on the tacho) and made some 150km with it. It was not what I was expecting. The engine and DQS was good, sound was ok, the brakes and suspension was not what I wanted. The suspension was to soft, it was wobbling around in long turns, under braking it field like I was going over the frontside.The front brake didn't had the feeling and bite that I remember of riding all the other new ducatis at that moment. So that was my first impression (not best) of the SSS early April.

Jump to May, I had the chance to ride the MP 959 Panigale as stand in rider for a movie. Nice to ride, enough power and nice brakes (seating not my thing) So after that I had a second talk with the owner of the shop. He told me (I found it also in some reviews) that the suspension is from factory to soft. (Remember the drive in from the new bike?) He didn't had one standing for demo but later in summer he will.
June came and I took out a rental Multi Enduro for a week to travel trough the alps (made +3000km) without problems. It is like sitting in a sofa and riding around. The electronics did overtime in all the hairpins, during a cold (3grC) and rainy descent of the Stelvio the heated grips made my day! I still had my 2002, 80000km S4 and didn't want to travel with the old girl that long.

So early September after a summer driving with my own bike, I get a second chance to ride the SSS.
This time it was a SSS (red-red) that he (the owner of MP) used on track. So adjusted Ohlins suspension and Brembo Z04 pads in front, full akra, standard tyres. Did some hours (200km) in the seat again. One thing I can tell you, Complete other motorcycle. Thinking about taking a corner, it did it, braking like it should be with good feeling. But a little to loud for longer rides with the akra.

After this ride I was sold. MotoPuro made an offer, but I wait until the meeting of 2018 to see if there would be a Monster ?939? S with DQS and so. Than I could be a difficult decision.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Sounds to me like you prefer the SSS...So, I would wait for them to be in stock. Don't settle for something other than what you want. Otherwise, you'll have a bad experience with ownership. Personally, I recommend the White. >:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds to me like you prefer the SSS...So, I would wait for them to be in stock. Don't settle for something other than what you want. Otherwise, you'll have a bad experience with ownership. Personally, I recommend the White. >:)
It sounds indeed I prefer the SSS above a SS. And the color, White-Red for me, please.
MotoPuro has one in stock, they are waiting for my answer if I go for the SSS or a monster (2018) something.
And for a bad experience, I did to many miles already with the SSS. So that will be no problem.
Some rebuilding to make it a special one for me, if I buy it. Than the customisation will be in other parts of the forum.
I keep you posted guys and girls.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Welcome Rafke,

I 've also try several ducati like you ; m1200s and r (too power), 959 ( hot no confort), multi 1200(to big) ...
and finaly waiting for sss in april.
Supersport combine confort, maniability, sport ride or touring and i always love my red 3S.
I use my duc every day in traffic , and each we for touring with partner or sport ride.

There are a few defaults mirrors, vibrations, not progressive clutch, this bike is not perfect but have many other advantages .

I hope that somebody will find tips for each small problem (like rubber spaghetti behind mirrors Thanks to @giaro 😉)

·
Registered
539 Posts
The way I read it, he rode the S in white later the S in red. And he thought that the red was much better!

I'm guessing the difference was the better pads and correctly adjusted suspension plus the smoother power and better sound of the full exhaust on the red one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The way I read it, he rode the S in white later the S in red. And he thought that the red was much better!

I'm guessing the difference was the better pads and correctly adjusted suspension plus the smoother power and better sound of the full exhaust on the red one.
Alley, that is correct.
I drove 2 times a "S", first a white complete out of the box and later on a red with some miles (700km) on with the right suspension set-up and other brake pads.
The full akra exhaust was a little to much for me (still drive a S4 with open carbon termi's and that is quieter). Or do I get to old?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Alley, that is correct.
I drove 2 times a "S", first a white complete out of the box and later on a red with some miles (700km) on with the right suspension set-up and other brake pads.
The full akra exhaust was a little to much for me (still drive a S4 with open carbon termi's and that is quieter). Or do I get to old?
The suspension adjustment alone could have made a big difference. A bike not only handles but also brakes much better (no dramatic diving or lift from the rear) when adjusted to the rider's weight.

I had a full Akra exhaust on my previous bike. And the sound without baffle was psychological warfare! So, no, it's not your age but the desire to keep your hearing.

I'm glad you had the opportunity to ride the second bike. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts