Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve got a weird one, wondering if anyone else has seen this in an S:

My dad called me late Saturday and wanted to know if I wanted to meet for lunch and maybe take a bit of a ride on Sunday. Took him up on it knowing full well it’s a 3 1/2 hour trip to meet him, 3 1/2 hour trip back and the area we ride would be like an hour or so ride, but we don’t get to ride much anymore so it was very worth it. BTW, the Duc was great upon this trip, just over 400 miles round trip mad around 7 hours total riding time, stopped every few hours for gas and water for me, otherwise I was comfy the whole way.

Anyway, got home, was cleaning the bike up a bit and noticed standing oil in/on the right fork cap and in the rebound adjuster hole. I’ve not seen this before, and I have no idea where it came from but best guess it the o-ring between the fork cap and adjuster. The other thought is the brake reservoir could be leaking but I checked everything out and can’t see leaking anywhere.

I cleaned it all up, haven’t seen any since and I rotated the adjuster around a bit and can’t see anything leaking or feel anything binding. It was a clean oil looking and smelled like suspension fluid but I’m second guessing myself now it might have been brake fluid.

I’ve got an appointment to get it checked out Thursday, but i’m wondering has anyone else had this happen? The dealership didn’t see at as common but didn’t indicate it uncommon. I’m planning to get my springs installed at the same time they pull stuff apart.

·
Registered
515 Posts
So I’ve got a weird one, wondering if anyone else has seen this in an S:

My dad called me late Saturday and wanted to know if I wanted to meet for lunch and maybe take a bit of a ride on Sunday. Took him up on it knowing full well it’s a 3 1/2 hour trip to meet him, 3 1/2 hour trip back and the area we ride would be like an hour or so ride, but we don’t get to ride much anymore so it was very worth it. BTW, the Duc was great upon this trip, just over 400 miles round trip mad around 7 hours total riding time, stopped every few hours for gas and water for me, otherwise I was comfy the whole way.

Anyway, got home, was cleaning the bike up a bit and noticed standing oil in/on the right fork cap and in the rebound adjuster hole. I’ve not seen this before, and I have no idea where it came from but best guess it the o-ring between the fork cap and adjuster. The other thought is the brake reservoir could be leaking but I checked everything out and can’t see leaking anywhere.

I cleaned it all up, haven’t seen any since and I rotated the adjuster around a bit and can’t see anything leaking or feel anything binding. It was a clean oil looking and smelled like suspension fluid but I’m second guessing myself now it might have been brake fluid.

I’ve got an appointment to get it checked out Thursday, but i’m wondering has anyone else had this happen? The dealership didn’t see at as common but didn’t indicate it uncommon. I’m planning to get my springs installed at the same time they pull stuff apart.
Yes, I observed the same thing and checked the brake fluid reservoir - it was too full and that's where my fluid was coming from. I removed a little fluid from the reservoir and problem fixed.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I observed the same thing and checked the brake fluid reservoir - it was too full and that's where my fluid was coming from. I removed a little fluid from the reservoir and problem fixed.
Interesting...I haven't had this issue, but there have been a few reports of the reservoir leaking occasionally. Some have had it even damage the screen.
See, that’s the thing, I remembered others mentioning the brake fluid reservoir and immediately went to that area, bone dry everywhere I looked and ran a clean white paper rag around. I do have the DP reservoir covers, however, but they sealed great from what I’ve seen and I haven’t had a problem in ~600 or so miles, just this last 400 mile trip.

I’ll see what the shop finds, thanks for the thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Yep, I had a reservoir leak that threw me off. Very minimal fluid on the reservoir itself but some fluid residue ended up on the fork cap.

So, when folks look at my reservoir and think it’s low, it’s not. The level’s in between the hash marks but on the low side to prevent weeping and burping.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yep, I had a reservoir leak that threw me off. Very minimal fluid on the reservoir itself but some fluid residue ended up on the fork cap.

So, when folks look at my reservoir and think it’s low, it’s not. The level’s in between the hash marks but on the low side to prevent weeping and burping.
Interesting.

I was just in the garage this morning to pull the wheels off my Triumph so I can get the new tires installed while the Duc is in getting serviced (I gotta get my No-mar changer back from my dad down and here at some point, that’s two sets of tires this year I had put on) and checked the reservoir again. Still, no drips, nothing leaking, nothing anywhere around it, and nothing in the fork cap.

However looking at the fluid level, it’s at, or maybe even slightly above, the max mark. I do have it on a Pitbull rear stand so it’s nose down right now which isn’t helping but it’s definitely at or near max, even if the bike were level. I would think, though, that brake fluid sitting on the blue anodized Ohlins parts would have eaten into it if it was brake fluid, right?

Ok, this is weird. I flogged it pretty good last year in the Smokys, however I was pretty sick that weekend so I wasn’t my usual pace, this past winter I put on the DP covers and so far have been pretty tame riding this year, mostly commuting with a couple small runs until this past Sunday when I really let it rip at high speeds, high lean angles, and rode fast on very bumpy roads. Not to mention a long day on the road.

So I think I’ll still keep the appointment and have them replace the fork springs because I’m running short on time this year to work on things, and see what they say. I may have them take a bit of fluid out of the brake reservoir and see if that helps.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I had a single drop of brake fluid hanging off the hose on the brake fluid reservoir recently (~4,000 miles and 10 months of owning her). That's the closest I've come to your scenario. It does seem to be common, though. I'm thinking of draining a bit of the brake fluid.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Interesting.

However looking at the fluid level, it’s at, or maybe even slightly above, the max mark.
My service told me it's normal and in every Ducati they put above max. What's more I saw over max level on official pictures of the limited edition of Ducati "Foggy" V4 :)

Some service men before I took the speed day on the track took me the fluid below max telling it's wrong, I called the dealership they told - it's ok and come to see other bikes in the shop :)

Uff for that... BUT to be honest, after the level is lower I don't have the strange pushing forward the break lever anylonger on the heavy breaking on big tracks like in Brno, CZ.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Perhaps a tangent but it may be of interest to some.....

I used to think I needed to get some aftermarket aluminum reservoirs like DP, Rizoma or CNC (mmmm...CNC products....yummy).

But I’ve never seen them on any of the MotoGP bikes, I’ve always seen the regular ol’ plastic ones. And, holy cow, if they’re good enough for those braking conditions, they’re good enough for me, right?

So, that made me think I was perhaps chasing superfluous bling....man jewelry at its finest.

However, if the aluminum reservoirs are less prone to leak, that may be a good reason to get them.

I know there are some smart fellows out there that have this all figured out so I’m standing by to learn.

·
Registered
799 Posts
MAX is the max. Don't overfill, they'll leak. The hydraulic fluid (or the moisture in it) will expand when it heats up, ultimately causing the system to burp. If the fluid is too high it will burp past the seal on the cap as that's the weakest point in the system. This is why all the racers also have those terrycloth wrist bands around their reservoirs, to retain any fluid that weeps out.

The plastic reservoirs are lighter than the aluminum ones and also provide easy and positive visual indication of fluid level and health to racers and crew. Also preferred for track days for the same reason, every time I get my bike tech'd they complain about my smoked reservoir and how they can't easily visually confirm fluid level or health.

The fluid level can also be a rudimentary indicator of your pad thickness. Fill only to the MAX and you can track pad thickness as the fluid level drops in the reservoir. I usually fill to about 1mm below the MAX line to accomodate for heat expansion.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got a call back from the shop today: good news, good news and bad news.

The first good news is it won’t cost me much to have correct springs installed in my forks. The second good news is I was not wrong, the fluid was not brake, and it did not come from the brake reservoir. So I can actually troubleshoot, though there may be some that disagree.

The bad news is the shop had to call Ducati who had to call Ohlins who has to send seals and who has to ok the warranty work. So it will be another week or so to get the bike back; they believe it to be the o ring around the rebound adjuster which is what I thought the leak came from.

Good thing I’m heading into a busy time with work and am not able to make the second annual because I’d possibly be bikeless that weekend. As long as it’s back by October 1st when I’m doing my own “annual” Deals Gap/Smoky Mountain riding week, I’m good.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry. Ohlin's weep.

At least it's under warranty. Might be nice to see the costs for future reference.

What's wrong with the springs?
Ohlins don’t weep, not in my experience, at least. It’s a bad seal, plain and simple, probably damaged on installation and going to be fixed under warranty. I’m good.

The OEM springs are light for a fat ass like me. Stock are like 7.5 or 8.0, something like that. I bought 9.5s, should work great.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Ohlins don’t weep, not in my experience, at least. It’s a bad seal, plain and simple, probably damaged on installation and going to be fixed under warranty. I’m good.

The OEM springs are light for a fat ass like me. Stock are like 7.5 or 8.0, something like that. I bought 9.5s, should work great.
I had 2 x replacement rear Ohlins ( on my 3rd) and replaced my 8.0 for 9.5s I didn’t ask for the shocks to be replaced, Ducati insisted. My new sprung front works fantastically, I had been wondering that maybe I should have gone for a 9.5 and a 10 so that I didn’t outperform the total 190nM well after testing these out I can’t see that happening. With the correct springs The fork sits in the right range and hasn’t looked like bottoming out no mater how hard I try.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts

I put 9.5s in mine. I weigh 100kg.

Normal riding I have about 25mm of travel remaining. Hard riding and braking I have 6 to 10mm of travel remaining. So, for the time being, 95s match my weight and riding style.

If you've played with sag already you've probably used less rear preload to compensate for the front. You'll now be able to set both in the ideal range. With rebound set correctly, you'll find the bike will be more balanced and comfortable. The sensation of everything working together is to be savoured!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Rhino, what was wrong with the two previous Ohlins shocks?
My bike was one of the 1st 2017s the 1st rear shock was replaced because the bump stop was heat damaged and the spring paint bubbled (as part of the heat shield recall ) the replacement put on by Sunshitstate (a bad dealer workshop has been the cause of any issues I’ve had) and when I got the bike home to re set my SAG and settings I found that it was turning quite easily by hand (videos have been posted on here of it) so I sent the video to Ducati and they said although the shock can move because of the joint it should not be moving like it was and insisted it needed to be changed ASAP. Props to Ducati they have stood by there warranties so far

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I put 9.5s in mine. I weigh 100kg.

Normal riding I have about 25mm of travel remaining. Hard riding and braking I have 6 to 10mm of travel remaining. So, for the time being, 95s match my weight and riding style.

If you've played with sag already you've probably used less rear preload to compensate for the front. You'll now be able to set both in the ideal range. With rebound set correctly, you'll find the bike will be more balanced and comfortable. The sensation of everything working together is to be savoured!
. Hard riding and braking I have 6 to 10mm of travel remaining.
I have about 25 - 20 left hard riding and breaking. I’m happy Happy. Are you sure your misses haven’t reset your scales :laugh: we are both 100 kegs

1 - 20 of 96 Posts