Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I bought a tank protector from TankSlapper a while ago and am just getting around to putting it on my matte white tank. It's supposed to go on before/under a tank pad. Problem is that I already have a nice and somewhat pricey Ducati pad on my tank. The TankSlapper guy thought I could pull up the old pad and reapply it after installing the film. I have my doubts about it being able to re-adhere to the tank/film, plus I'm a bit nervous about damaging the matte finish on the tank when I pull off the pad. An alternative is possibly trimming the film around the pad before installing it or maybe trim it in-place with a blade before it dries, yikes, would take some high precision to not make a mistake and make it look correct. If there are no concerns about pulling up an old pad I might be able to use spray adhesive to re-apply it. Anybody face this situation yet?
Yep, I had my tank pad removed. The installer said he used fishing line and heat. My bike is shiney red but you could never tell that is was ever on. Of course the pad is toast.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Back at it. I posted somewhere that I put on another tank protector. It was a cheap Chinese thing and delaminated. I can't find the photo that I posted here. Anyway, I took it to my vinyl guy today and had him put clear vinyl over the nose. While I was there, I asked him to pull off the old Chinese protector and wrap it with CF vinyl. Luckily, he was able to get the old stuff off and didn't have to wrap the the tank again.

So here is the CF over the clear vinyl. (The front is good too. I didn't want more road rash on it.)

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I have tried the clear Ducati Panigale tank protector and it bubbled up at the inside radius and looked like an old flake of skin after a few rides. I also tried a cheap multi-colored knock off Ducat (yes, the maker dropped the "i" off of Ducati) and it looked like a trashy tramp-stamp on the beautiful curves.

I finally bought some Xpel clear film on Amazon and installed a truly invisible, durable tank protector that keeps the stunning looks of the bike. I love not seeing it.

On the other hand, I also added the Ducati Pocket Tank Bag, which adds a hideous black ring to the fuel filler door. It's extremely convenient to use. But it detracts from the looks. Everytime I see it, I want to stir fry some vegetables in that wok!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've asked the dealer if there any OEM tank protectors for this gorgeous machine, and waiting for a reply.

What about you guys? Receive any recommendations or have other ideas?

Maybe it's just me being a bit much, but would hate to have found I scratched the tank after I got home from some spirited riding!
Have some 3M film put on it.

·
Premium Member
2021 Supersport 950
7 Posts
Hi, resurrecting an old thread here. I dont like the look of tank protectors so my dealer recommended a local place that can install 3m film. Will cover the centre of the tank where my jacket is wearing into it as well as where your legs would grip the tank for $100 CAD. Thought id pay that for the pro install as it includes the materials as well. My concern would be that the 3m film is glossy and more slippery than clear coat? Has anybody had this issue and had to put grips overtop?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, resurrecting an old thread here. I dont like the look of tank protectors so my dealer recommended a local place that can install 3m film. Will cover the centre of the tank where my jacket is wearing into it as well as where your legs would grip the tank for $100 CAD. Thought id pay that for the pro install as it includes the materials as well. My concern would be that the 3m film is glossy and more slippery than clear coat? Has anybody had this issue and had to put grips overtop?
ive never been a fan of tank protectors either but bit the bullet and put the OEM Ducati carbon one on, not cheap but no regrets and I genuinely think it compliments the bike, the dealer generously fitted it and got it 100% square 👍

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You can get 3M kits unique to the shape of the Superpsort tank. They come in gloss and matte. I had the full matte kit fited to my 937 and I have the 950S booked in for a fit too.
3M is a paint potection film and not tank grips. I cant comment on whether you could fit tank grips on top of the film

·
Premium Member
2021 Supersport 950
7 Posts
You can get 3M kits unique to the shape of the Superpsort tank. They come in gloss and matte. I had the full matte kit fited to my 937 and I have the 950S booked in for a fit too.
3M is a paint potection film and not tank grips. I cant comment on whether you could fit tank grips on top of the film
Thanks Triplesapper - I dont necessarily need grips, just hoping they are not going to be more slippery than the tank itself. Do you find your knees might slide more on the matte 3m than the tank itself? I am hoping the gloss wont have this effect since normally the 3m film is designed to be easy to clean bugs off of it.

·
Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
252 Posts
I like my Motographix one, color match is spot on, I use the smallest piece at the tank top to stop any scratching from my house key
20210609_174519.jpg

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
@mjdutch Having had 3M tank protection film on 5 of my last bikes (2 of which were sports bikes) the 3M film is no slippery than the the tank itself - in fact it might be touch less slippery.
It is outstanding at protecting the paintwork from scuffs, zip marks and stone chips. I wouldn't hesitate to get it fitted to any bike I own.

Reactions: mjdutch

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have tried the clear Ducati Panigale tank protector and it bubbled up at the inside radius and looked like an old flake of skin after a few rides. I also tried a cheap multi-colored knock off Ducat (yes, the maker dropped the "i" off of Ducati) and it looked like a trashy tramp-stamp on the beautiful curves.

I finally bought some Xpel clear film on Amazon and installed a truly invisible, durable tank protector that keeps the stunning looks of the bike. I love not seeing it.

View attachment 41940
On the other hand, I also added the Ducati Pocket Tank Bag, which adds a hideous black ring to the fuel filler door. It's extremely convenient to use. But it detracts from the looks. Everytime I see it, I want to stir fry some vegetables in that wok!
Get yourself a Givi Seatlock. It is the same fitting but you strap it to the pillion seat, giving you the ability to have your small tank bag attached as a tail bag. It’s an excellent luggage solution.

View attachment 41940

Get yourself a Givi Seatlock. It is the same fitting but you strap it to the pillion seat, giving you the ability to have your small tank bag attached as a tail bag. It’s an excellent luggage solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2021 Supersport 950
7 Posts
This is cool, do you have the part numbers by chance? I think I found the lock online here in Canada but cant seem to see the exact bag.

Looks like its better than the oem solution as you dont need to strap it over the painted parts? I wanted the oem one but was worried about how it strapped up over the paint. Looks like this one doesent rub against anything that will do any noticeable damage?

Also what is that part where you used to cover the holes where you removed your passenger foot pegs. that looks cool.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is cool, do you have the part numbers by chance? I think I found the lock online here in Canada but cant seem to see the exact bag.

Looks like its better than the oem solution as you dont need to strap it over the painted parts? I wanted the oem one but was worried about how it strapped up over the paint. Looks like this one doesent rub against anything that will do any noticeable damage?

Also what is that part where you used to cover the holes where you removed your passenger foot pegs. that looks cool.
The foot peg covers are Evotech

The tank bag is just a Givi version of the Ducati one. It’s their ST611 I think.

The seatlock is: Givi ST430

I also have a 26l Givi EA117 tank lock bag I use for commuting. Larger capacity but just clicks on and off the Seatlock.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2021 Supersport 950
7 Posts
The foot peg covers are Evotech

The tank bag is just a Givi version of the Ducati one. It’s their ST611 I think.

The seatlock is: Givi ST430

I also have a 26l Givi EA117 tank lock bag I use for commuting. Larger capacity but just clicks on and off the Seatlock.
wow thats even better, large but looks like it wont get in your way and rob some of your seat space either

·
Registered
41 Posts
It has a place. I’m happy riding “quickly” with the small bag, it’s rock solid and has enough capacity for a days riding. The bigger bag is ok for commuting but I wouldn’t go nuts with it, it might loosen the straps and come loose. That’s just a gut feeling, it’s been fine on my 32 mile commute which includes some 60mph sections.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts