Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

881 - 900 of 906 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I rode with the db killer in for about 4k miles. Have the baffle in map. One day out of boredom, I took the db killer out. Took about 5 min. I was shocked at how much better it sounded. So I put the killer back in to see if my ears were playing tricks on me. It’s now in my box of parts never to be seen again.
I wouldn’t say it’s a lot louder, but noticeably deeper. It sounds like what I think a Ducati should sound like.
For what it’s worth, I dropped the db killer screw into the slip on, so I had to dismount it and fish it out. That took like 5 extra min.

·
Registered
Ducati Supersport S 2017, white
60 Posts
My view - you easily can. I swapped the screw for a slightly longer one to make it easier to handle, but it’s 60 seconds to put it on or take it off. I did a couple stints with both configurations, then threw the db killer away :).
Make sure you get the T800 UpMap, very easy configuration, runs much better, but there is still the occasional backfire.
Sound is very personal, but in my view the sound of the stock exhaust was underwhelming on such a cool looking bike. The Termi solves that.
I rode with the db killer in for about 4k miles. Have the baffle in map. One day out of boredom, I took the db killer out. Took about 5 min. I was shocked at how much better it sounded. So I put the killer back in to see if my ears were playing tricks on me. It’s now in my box of parts never to be seen again.
I wouldn’t say it’s a lot louder, but noticeably deeper. It sounds like what I think a Ducati should sound like.
For what it’s worth, I dropped the db killer screw into the slip on, so I had to dismount it and fish it out. That took like 5 extra min.
Ok, I'm now convinced I want to buy the Termi (and the upmap t800). THanks all for the feedback. The official Ducati dealer asked me 90 euro per hour and about 5 hours of work to fit it, which is quite pricey. A local garage that a friend recommended can do it for 60 euro per hour and say they can do it in 2, max 3 hours.
The bike is not under warranty anymore. This is a very newbie question but do you think it's safe to let a non official shop do these kind of works?

·
Super Moderator
7,604 Posts
@Lambo88 Depends how skilled the local garage is. As you may have already noticed, there are quite a few members who have installed the Termi themselves, but parts of the install can be a little challenging. Would not suggest for an inexperienced wrench.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you are having a shop do it, see if they will remove the o2 sensors and install the plugs of your choice. It will greatly improve the cold engine and sub-3k rpm behavior. It’s not terribly hard to do, there is a video somewhere on this site, but like Ed said, not a job for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you are having a shop do it, see if they will remove the o2 sensors and install the plugs of your choice. It will greatly improve the cold engine and sub-3k rpm behavior. It’s not terribly hard to do, there is a video somewhere on this site, but like Ed said, not a job for the faint of heart.
Is this needed in all cases? Even if I'm going to remap with Upmap? I'm not too familiar with it, where would I look for the plugs?

I checked with 2 dealers (may not be an option for you). The one I went with charged me 3 hours. 5 sounds high, may be a conservative estimate on their part.
We have 1 dealer in the entire country.. I just live in the worst place for riding, sadly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, this only applies to bikes with the upmap. It’s definitely not required, but after the upmap cold engine and sub-3k performance will suffer a bit. You can google 12mm o2 sensor plug, several companies make them. I think mine are from triumph twin power or British customs or something 🤷‍♂️
Technically you can skip the plug if you want, just have them disconnect the o2 wires and leave them in place.
Here’s the discussion about it:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes, this only applies to bikes with the upmap. It’s definitely not required, but after the upmap cold engine and sub-3k performance will suffer a bit. You can google 12mm o2 sensor plug, several companies make them. I think mine are from triumph twin power or British customs or something 🤷‍♂️
Technically you can skip the plug if you want, just have them disconnect the o2 wires and leave them in place.
Here’s the discussion about it:
Thank you, i read a bit of that and got completely lost. Sounds like a daunting task. I wonder should I point the mechanic to the forum to help finding these O2 sensors? I'm afraid they might break the fairing pins (yes, my trust in local bike places isn't very high). I'll do some more research before pulling the trigger.

What's the difference between disconnecting the O2 sensors (plural, right?) and replacing them with plugs?
Thank you again!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Plural, yes. One for each cylinder.
No difference really. Just cleans up some random wires that go nowhere on your bike. Also saves a few grams lol
Some people prefer to leave the sensors in place; unplugged. I imagine this is because they are concerned about returning it to stock some day. Not me though. I keep all the original parts I take off bikes, but I don’t think I have ever used any of them. They just take up space in my attic.
Removing the fairing and unplugging/replacing the o2 sensors is a walk in the park compared to removing the stock exhaust/installing the Termi.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you, i read a bit of that and got completely lost. Sounds like a daunting task. I wonder should I point the mechanic to the forum to help finding these O2 sensors? I'm afraid they might break the fairing pins (yes, my trust in local bike places isn't very high). I'll do some more research before pulling the trigger.

What's the difference between disconnecting the O2 sensors (plural, right?) and replacing them with plugs?
Thank you again!
Termignoni upmap also used DNA racing high flow racing filter during their tuning. I had the workshop install it. It's supposed to make tiny difference at high RPMs as far as my research.

·
Super Moderator
7,604 Posts
@Thansen66 Has just had a full Termi installed on her 950! Her’s is the first 950 reported among our Members to do so. (If other Members have installed the full Termi on their 950, please jump-in!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Thansen66 Has just had a full Termi installed on her 950! Her’s is the first 950 reported among our Members to do so. (If other Members have installed the full Termi on their 950, please jump-in!)
Is it a different model then the ones from the 939? I’ve trying to find out if this exhaust will fit the newer 950’s

·
Super Moderator
7,604 Posts
@RacerX950S @Thansen66 Can provide more specifics, but the Termi she recently installed was without the upmap, since Termi has not offered it yet.

Btw, on a separate subject, I am in communication with Ducati regarding the full race Akra for the 950, and waiting for clarification to share with Forum Members.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
My D181 arrived Friday so i started removing the CAT and installing the new exhaust this morning. Well not everything went to plan one of the screws holding the heatshield on the right side wasn't budging and eventually i had to drill it out. Then i decided to buy a spatialized 17mm socket to remove the Lambda sensor as its a bit of a pain so thought i would drive to town and get one. I phoned ahead to make sure they had it in stock as i live a fair way out of town. when i got there they didn't have it:rolleyes: only had an expensive full set. i got it anyway and headed home. opened up the set and iy started at 22mm and went upwards from there. so i set about cutting down my 17mm spanner from my lifetime guarantee set and mad a shorty that would do the job. Seemed like forever with the littlest of turns (as there is not a lot of room there but i got it off. After removing the OEM exhaust i set about installing the Termi, slipped the lower pipe in place and next on the list is to slip the header pipe on to the bottom pipe and place it on the header with the nuts loose. i thought i better check that there wasn't any screw still in the hole where i had to drill it out. yes there was along with a small hole i had drilled through into the header pipe as i was drilling out the screw :(. anyway i proceeded to fit the header pipe to the lower termi pipe and for the life of me i cant get it onto the three bolts at the header. i spent 2hour wiggling and moving/ removing and i can get it3mm close but cant get it on, so ive called it a day very frustrating, i must be doing something not quite right this should be simple enough i will try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
214 Posts
i must be doing something not quite right this should be simple enough i will try again tomorrow.
Had the same feeling when I fitted the Termi. First the endless effort to remove the probe by mm turns and afterwards partially giving up on fitting the pipes. It was so close but just refused to fit the last bit so in the end had do it over two days to avoid ruining something in agression. Anyway, I seem to remember leaving the rear header pipe attached to the cylinder (but very loose) and then the fight (heavyweight wiggliing) was all about getting the to pipes together. It may just be my memory of it since I tried in so many ways. So see if that is possible. Maybe others could chip in with advice on how they managed to put it together.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Can you not use a flexible head ratchet spanner to remove the lambda sensor bolt?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Had the same feeling when I fitted the Termi. First the endless effort to remove the probe by mm turns and afterwards partially giving up on fitting the pipes. It was so close but just refused to fit the last bit so in the end had do it over two days to avoid ruining something in agression. Anyway, I seem to remember leaving the rear header pipe attached to the cylinder (but very loose) and then the fight (heavyweight wiggliing) was all about getting the to pipes together. It may just be my memory of it since I tried in so many ways. So see if that is possible. Maybe others could chip in with advice on how they managed to put it together.
Having a cup of Coffee, then getting back to it. im thinking that if i put the pipes together then slipping it onto the header bolts then tying to couple it to the lower original pipe ?

881 - 900 of 906 Posts