Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Test rode the SuperSport at a Ducati Experience day over the weekend and wanted to add my thoughts to the pool. I still feel like there isn't that much informaiton on this bike out there.

I'm coming from a Ninja 250. I've ridden some inline 4s before but I knew this would be a new experience. In addition to things that others have said (comfortable, tourque is fantastic, fun, easy to ride -- really, really, easy to ride), I had some other issues. LIke people have siad: mirrors absoluely useless, had trouble finding neutral, low rpms were strange to handle and I did felel like I was going to stall the whole time. The biggest thing for me, however, was the seat heat. Holy crap. It couldnt't have been more than 50 degrees f out there (and moist) and my ass was on fire whenever we were at a stop. My thights were burning my legs were down. So much so that I had to keep the left proped up a little at lights.

This may seem small, but I was hoping to replace my Ninja as my everyday-do-everything bike. But if its so so hot, it just isn't practical enough for my urban, low speed commute. I know this bike is marketed as the well-rounded choice, and I still think it is -but maybe if I lived in the suburbs. Did anyone else have this problem? I know you all say its not as bad as Panigale. But hot is still hot.

Therefore, now I'm not so sure on my purchase. I loved the engine. So fun and (yes, kill me now) filled wih character.

Orginally, before I knew of the SuperSport, I was considering the '16 Tuono. I prefer the SuperSport on paper because it allowed me to have one bike. Now I'm not so sure this is the case.

If I do 'need' two (what a problem to have!!) Then I'm back to my original questions.
I know this topic came up already. And I have read it etensivily but I don't know really any riders IRL so I need input fom you total strangers!!

IMy pros and cons list is little different from the other poster. Mainly:

SuperSport:
-perfect amount of power
-awesome engine feel and great sound
-seat is hot hot hot at low speeds
-will be about 14,000 USD
-will still need a in-town bike

'16 Tuono:
-love the way this thing looks
-too much power!
-not as much feel but great sound too
-will be about 15,000 USD

I live in a dense urban area and would keep my ninja to commute. So this bike is really for longer trips and highway time. I don't mind the smaller range of the Tuono. But since I've tested the Ducati, I can't get the feeling of the L twin out of my head. So fun. Well, except at low speed. Insurance seems like it will be very similar for either bike. Which is silly really.

I haven't been able to test the Apilia yet. There is a deal kinda close by. But its an hour trip - I need to call ahead to see if they offer tests at all. But no one has ever mentioned any 'character' of Aprilia other than the V4 sound.

I know you've all said the SuperSprot and the Tuono are two different choices and can't be compared. But I'm trying anyways!!

I'd appriciate any feedback.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I rode the bike in traffic for probably a total of 15-20 minutes (mid 70s) and about 15 minutes of mountain riding. During the city riding I stopped several times and while there was some heat, it was coming from between the engine and fairing near my legs. My seat was never hot nor do I really see how it could be. The Panigale seat gets hot due to the exhaust, not the engine to my understanding. The heat was more than bearable.

Regarding comparing the SS with other bikes...it compares with nothing directly so it will get compared with other bikes near its price range or with bikes that have some similar feature that people like in a bike. I've been struggling with the SS being an only bike for me as well but as I read the comments of other, they resonate with me and I start thinking about other aspects. I remember the first Duc I owned, a used 2008 S2R 1000, and I remember how much fun that bike was and all the power it had...well it had 95 hp. I've been creating a false objection thinking the power may not be enough on this bike. Another bit of feedback from a friend of mine who owned an 1199 Panigale repeatedly said the bike never felt happy unless is was balls out, triple digits. I don't want that extreme either.

The things I don't like about Apes are no close dealership network and their fuel mileage is horrible. I don't buy a bike for gas mileage but I don't ever want to be the guy in the group that causes everyone else to stop for gas b/c I get crappy gas mileage.

Keep reading this forum and watching videos...take another test ride if necessary and be sure about your decision. They aren't going to stop producing these bikes tomorrow.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose I should re-phrase a bit: the heat wasn't coming from the seat itself (although that was warm); it was coming from the fairing pieces direclty under the seat on the sides. The faiing pieces that are attached to the frame. And maybe I just have delicate legs (I probably do) but it was extemely hot and I had to look when I got home to see if I burned myself.

I agreet that the bike has plently of power! I would even prefer it if it was down to 800ccs or so. Guess we can't have everything. ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well, that's certainly worth considering. Having a hot Italian girl is no fun if you can't ride her. FWIW, I'm considering either the SS or a Triumph Speed Triple R...Probably not the best comparison whatsoever but it's what I'm considering.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think its a good comparison! Everyne loves those suckers. And its known for being anouther great "all around" choice. I can't get over the looks though. ;) I know most people like it over the Tuono (and certainly think the SuperSPort is better looking) but the bug yes get me. I may be a bit vain but I have to like it on the outside too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've gotten the inner thigh heat but as Gadgetech mentioned it's not really the seat. I'm not very versed on the Ninja 250 but then again I haven't owned an Inline 4 in well over a decade. So jumping from that to a Duc or even the Aprillia sounds like a BIG jump in machine to me. I'm not saying it's something you shouldn't consider and each bike will have it's pro's and con's. It's all in what YOU"LL be happy with and of course safe riding. I'm biased towards Ducati and the SS so my opinion is tainted. I will say this though, I'm not sure what "mode" you were in on your test ride. But when I took off for the first time I had it on "touring" and it took off like a Vespa IMO...When I got into "sport" the throttle was much more responsive and it doesn't feel like you'll stall her as much.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Every testrastretta head Ducati owner has the exact same complaint about engine heat off the rear head baking their thighs. It is what it is - a limitation of the longitudinally mounted V twin that puts a cylinder head right between your thighs. Even my carb'd SS warms the jewels at a traffic light, though the 939 was warmer.

Too much power eh? Difficult to control the throttle? Put the bike in Urban mode, it resolved all of that when I took one out on a test ride. The engine/throttle response and power felt very similar to my 900SS with FCR's.

I feel like the Scramblers make for a much better Ducati urban/city/traffic experience.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Myself, i'm looking at doing another Supersport S demo as the short 10-15 min one didn't do much for me and i wasn't as impressed as i thought i would be. My other candidates would be a 2017 Monster 1200S (might try and demo that this weekend) and also the new Street Triple R or RS (still need to demo that). Worse case, i keep my 2008 Honda CBR600RR for another year and see what happens for the 2018 Ducati models...

Reactions: Gadgetech

·
Registered
41 Posts
Like if you wanted to get the 2017 Ducati Diavel Diesel...haha

Reactions: amoslws

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your issues were: 1) mirrors useless 2) had trouble finding neutral 3) feeling like you were going to stall and 4) seat heat.

During my brief test ride, I would say that 1 is true. The mirrors are useless. I never really had trouble finding neutral, but I only really switch into neutral after I'm done riding. At stop lights, I just hold in the clutch and stay prepared in case the moron behind
me doesn't stop. I've heard a few people say they felt like the bike was going to stall, but I never felt that. However, I sold two motorcycles in the past year and am down to my Harley Sportster, so everything on the Supersport feels amazing in comparison. I didn't feel any seat heat,
but my test ride was maybe 10 min, so maybe that wasn't long enough. Then again, I live in the desert and I ride ATGATT in 110 degree heat, so heat really isn't an issue for me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had all four of the issues you mentioned, initially within 50 miles.

As the miles have climbed, a few things have improved - Neutral (much better now!), Feeling like you were going to stall (disappeared now, after I worked to find the sweet spot of clutch / throttle engagement), Seat heat - Was present till about the bike was 10-20 miles, now that does not make much sense, however, not so much so anymore.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Im shocked some of you guys only get 10- 15 minutes on a test ride .
The minimum here an hour
One dealer I purchased several bikes off over the years
Let me have a demo bike for 3 days

Are all dealers like this or Just Ducati

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi. I'm using the SS for commuting into London, having replaced my Diavel for it. Over the past few years have had several sports - HP4/848 Evo- and tourers - ZZR1400. for me the SShits the spot. You missed the looks off of the plus list and to be practical, unless things are different in the US, the residuals on Ape's are terrible. The Ducati always hold their value better. The comment about Ducati twins and heat is right in my experience, but have never struggled with it except on the Pani's. I have the Akra race exhaust which pits a bit more heat on the seat but not uncomfortably so. Have never found low speeds a prob, but the Touring mode smooths things out-sorry I haven't bothered with Urban. I thought about buying the new Tuono seriously but unless you track it which is where it is supposed to excel, in most places on the road (if not all) you can't use it to anything like its potential (not that my skills would get near its potential), loved the sound, not that comfortable, but as soon as I took out the SS it just clicked. Looks great, feels great, sounds great. At the end of the day, one person's delight is another's dislike - for me the SS is the best machine I have ridden, so suggest you have a few trial runs out and make the choice from there. Enjoy working out the best one for you!

Reactions: melba and oldndumb

·
Registered
149 Posts
But since I've tested the Ducati, I can't get the feeling of the L twin out of my head.
Alea iacta est! >:)

I share some/most of your complains and ordered my SS anyway - just because I couldn't get it out of my head. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I suppose the three closest bikes to the Supersport are the Honda VFR800F, the Kawasaki Z1000SX and the Suzuki GSX-S1000F (these are the UK model numbers, they may be different where you are)

But from the sound of things a Triumph Street Triple RS would fit your bill?

Why not try all three? But that engine feel of the Ducati really gets into you doesn't it?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Im shocked some of you guys only get 10- 15 minutes on a test ride .
The minimum here an hour
One dealer I purchased several bikes off over the years
Let me have a demo bike for 3 days

Are all dealers like this or Just Ducati
I've never been to a dealer that would allow a test ride that long. The dealer that I've bought 5 bikes from would probably let me take a dedicated demo out for a little longer than normal (I usually take a 30-45 minute ride). The dealer may not even have a demo bike to ride. I've bought bikes that the dealer would NOT allow any test ride (and conversely it didn't last very long either b/c I didn't like it). In my experience, dealerships selling Japanese brands are the worst when it comes to allowing test rides.

Some of the guys who vlog regularly will get a multi day demo or maybe if you're on the fence about buying.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My Duc dealer (also does Kwak - pun intended) will lend a test bike for several hours if it's not a sunny warm Saturday with a queue waiting. I've test ridden during the week with a "take as long as you like" as I pull away. That's partly why I keep spending money with them!

Reactions: Gadgetech
1 - 20 of 70 Posts