Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys!

A little bit of info from me, currently using a tuned 2011 blade...had it from new for 9 years, it’s done 38,000 miles, and gap have track day’d it, Euro tour all over Europe every year since I’ve had it covering 3-4K miles each tour.. france, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Czech Republic, Holland, Belgium, Spain, mountain passes etc... but, I need to slow it down these days...

Previous bikes where tuned Triumph Daytona etc... all race reps....there’s the history sorted...

Now, I want something “softer” but still racy... and while browsing the internet, came across the panigale looking supersport! Gorgeous looking thing, looks sportsbike esque but after reading and watching reviews seems it’s what I’m after...

I’ve demo’d many bikes this past 12 mnths , and nothing has floated my boat ( BMW s1000r ( wind blast) R9T ( wind blast over 100) panigale 1199 ( too uncomfortable for euro trips and long rides), speed triple ( wheelie mobster, but no good for euro trips) ....

The blade, which I love is epic... but I’m getting older and it’s set up for the track and fast road (fabulous on the B500 in Germany and fast track) but is really hard and twitchy on the majority of roads... elevated after a recent OhLins fork update and set up with Kais....

So... the Supersport has caught my eye... it looks great, the specs suggest useable torque low down, not silly BHP that’s unusable and has OhLins and a quick shifter as standard....
It looks great for touring, scratching, commuting.. so hits every nail on the head.
I know I’ll miss the power of the blade ( 176 at rear wheel, but most of power is at 10k and above) but want useable every day power for touring and blasts out on a regular basis.... without missing out on the fun factor.

I borrowed a friends Buell 1125r a few months ago, and loved the v twin and low down torque and the handling was epic...so I’m familiar with twins.... eats rear tyres, mind.

So... any pitfalls on servicing, good aftermarket parts and anyone else coming down from a 200bhp super bike owner who has made the swap and have any regrets??

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Now, I want something “softer” but still racy... and while browsing the internet, came across the panigale looking supersport! Gorgeous looking thing, looks sportsbike esque but after reading and watching reviews seems it’s what I’m after...
So... the Supersport has caught my eye... it looks great, the specs suggest useable torque low down, not silly BHP that’s unusable and has OhLins and a quick shifter as standard....
It looks great for touring, scratching, commuting.. so hits every nail on the head.
I know I’ll miss the power of the blade ( 176 at rear wheel, but most of power is at 10k and above) but want useable every day power for touring and blasts out on a regular basis.... without missing out on the fun factor.
So... any pitfalls on servicing, good aftermarket parts and anyone else coming down from a 200bhp super bike owner who has made the swap and have any regrets??
Cheers!
I didn't change to the SS from a 200 HP superbike, but from a 130 hp supersport (MV F3) and I'm happy. The SS is a far better mount for street riding, the riding position and suspension are spot-on for the street, as is the mid-range torque. It's just such an easy bike to ride, no matter what roads you travel. Servicing is no problem, except that, like all the new bikes, the electronics almost require a dealer for anything beyond lubing the chain and changing the oil/filter. "Aftermarket parts" is mostly exhaust systems and tail tidys; it's not a race bike. I wish it had a TFT dash and cruise control, but I haven't found a perfect bike yet. And the mirrors go fuzzy over 65 MPH, but there are some solutions to that. I'd buy it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
946 Posts
yeah, you're going to miss the power at first. you have to really whip the throttle on the SS to feel anything compared to the CBR1000RR. Everything you said about it is spot on, though. The power is very usable after you get used to it. Comfort is a million times better than the RR. Fuel consumption for me (compared to the RR) was about the same, however other owners here have reported much better consumption than me. Both bikes got me about 110 miles before I had to fill up.

RZ made a good point that the SS's electronics are a bit much. You can't tune it and you can't turn off the service light, which lights up for scheduled oil changes and the valve service. My dealer won't turn it off unless they do the work, so I'm just leaving it on. I'm not paying $300 for an oil change.

I had the 06 CBR1000RR in blue and yellow. I miss looking at her, the way she sounded, and the power, but I don't miss the riding position or the weight.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always do my own servicing and work on my bikes... I don’t trust anyone else.

It looks like the service light bulb will be removed then...:grin2:

·
Registered
946 Posts
I always do my own servicing and work on my bikes... I don’t trust anyone else.

It looks like the service light bulb will be removed then...:grin2:
It's a digital screen so you can't remove the bulb. Just ignore it. :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
@Sin Welcome!

Words can help, but my guess is you’ll know in a few minutes of riding the SS, if its right for you...

Looking forward to your ride report!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The SS is definitely more than the sum of its parts, but only you can decide if it’s the right bike for you. As Ed said look forward to your impressions.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
To the OP, one thing to mitigate the power deficit is to install a 14 tooth front sprocket. It makes a good difference as the bike is a tad overgeared with stock 15 tooth sprocket. It's an easy change for a $20 part. It's probably the only performance enhancement available other than maybe a reflash.

·
Registered
116 Posts
To the OP, one thing to mitigate the power deficit is to install a 14 tooth front sprocket. It makes a good difference as the bike is a tad overgeared with stock 15 tooth sprocket. It's an easy change for a $20 part. It's probably the only performance enhancement available other than maybe a reflash.
The 14t in front is a good mod but I'd also add that an exhaust upgrade will be worth it if you want more punch- like a Termi D181 which I did. There's an up-map for it as well that works well.

Exhaust is about $800 depending on which part of the world you live & the map is maybe $3-400. Pic below-

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is mate! How ya doing??

You obviously have made the change.... what are your thoughts?.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed a Rapid Bike Evo and had it mapped properly. Got +24hp and +30% torque. More than that it feels like the bike it was supposed to have been before the green meanies chocked the bike.
While the stock windscreen is ok and liveable I installed a Powerbronze screen which isn’t bigger but deflects the wind a better - not radical better but better which makes for a quieter ride (less wind noise).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I installed a Rapid Bike Evo and had it mapped properly. Got +24hp and +30% torque. More than that it feels like the bike it was supposed to have been before the green meanies chocked the bike.
While the stock windscreen is ok and liveable I installed a Powerbronze screen which isn’t bigger but deflects the wind a better - not radical better but better which makes for a quieter ride (less wind noise).
Is that similar to a power commander, and do you need to tune the bikes values, fuel mapping etc?? Are those results on o dyno?

Sounds interesting...

Cheers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is mate! How ya doing??

You obviously have made the change.... what are your thoughts?.
Doing okay Si; I hope you are also.

Yes, I have an SS; probably for similar reasons to you.

I changed my last Blade for an 1198s; it took a while to adjust but after a few comfort mods (seat, Helibars, gearing) I came to really like the character of a twin & became a Ducati fan.

I still have the 1198 (its a keeper) but as good as it is, its not a good road bike. I wanted sports bike looks, pillion friendly, comfort & the character engine of the twin; only the SS fits.

I bought mine new in March 19; it came with panniers, heated grips, touring screen, tail pack, tank bag; it was such a good price I bought it without ever test riding it.

If I had test rode it, I probably wouldn't have bought it. After the 1198, it felt slow & I couldn't adjust to the seating position. After a few rides & some small changes, I became accustomed & now really like it.

I fitted a wider rear rim, bottom faring, comfort seat (for the extra height) & throttle spacer; also had to considerably increase the damping & add some rear ride height.

I have also recently fitted a 14T front sprocket but not had chance to try it yet.

I have thought about an end can but don't think they look as good as the OEM; I disconnected the flapper instead & its a bit louder now.

Mine has had a couple of warranty repairs; a new rear shock (the rebound adjuster didn't work) & a fuel sender (common fault).

I'm happy with mine Si; I have a small collection of very different bikes & it fits in well. If you like the SS (take a long test ride if you can & use the torque) it would be a great bike to have as well as the Blade. It is also a great bike to have as your only bike.

If you fancy an in depth look at mine, you would be welcome to pop over.

This is mine :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is that similar to a power commander, and do you need to tune the bikes values, fuel mapping etc?? Are those results on o dyno?

To answer above
Yes sort of similar to power commander. Rapid Bike is and Italian product. World SBK bikes have another version of them installed not the Evo, the Pro version which is even more customizable for serious techie nerds 😃.

No it doesn’t tune the valves as far as I know. All software based. It’s an external plug in unit that effectively overrides the bikes original fuel mapping. Once the unit is unplugged and removed the bike goes reverts back to original ECU operation.

Nice thing is it works on almost any bike and if/when you sell the bike you simply plug it into the next but will have to have the unit reprogrammed and mapped for the next bike.

Yes it was dyno tested. The guys that did my map have the latest dyno machines which helps make the mapping of the Rapid Bike more effective. The guys built a map for my bike so ideally you need guys that know how to build you a properly good map for you as “results may vary”.

Nice thing about it is that the unit learns in real time. I live at altitude so if I had to ride to the coast and back the unit constantly adjusts/learns and adjusts to oxygen, heat etc and optimizes.

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
Well, couldn’t take it out as it was too wet... they done allow test rides in the rain....the bike is mint, all carbon OEM extras, even samco hoses throughout....

Need to test ride before I commit.
Very nice! Little hard to see in the pics, but looks like it has the OEM touring screen too. I have the OEM touring screen as well, and am very happy with it.

Looking forward to your thoughts after the ride!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, couldn’t take it out as it was too wet... they done allow test rides in the rain....the bike is mint, all carbon OEM extras, even samco hoses throughout....

Need to test ride before I commit.
Very nice Si. Nice DP mudguard; I think it sets them off.

Of the 3 riding modes, I started off with SPORT (as we do), but now use TOURING but with the SPORT throttle. Its easy to change in the settings.

It effectively gives the SPORT throttle but with more ABS & TC.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I’ve bought it!

Test ride for 40mins or so this morning....3 degrees out, so was a cold one!
Nowhere near as quick as the blade ( didn't expect it be) , but had the traction control kicking in all the time and smoother than the 1199 I took out. Ergos are fabulous, I’ll be taking it on 3,500 mile round trip to Italy this year from the UK... so that’ll give a better idea. Feels lighter than 200kg, and less front biased that I’m used too... it feels sedate until I clicked 120mph on the speedo.... lovely. Wouldn’t go into neutral from standstill, but did rolling on..that’s my only caveat. Looks like previous owner has added all the optional Ducati catalogue, carbon everything and Evotech rad guard and levers.... the only thing I’ll add is a carbon belly fairing from Ilmberger...

Can anyone tell me if it’s got the larger touring screen??

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well, I’ve bought it!

Test ride for 40mins or so this morning....3 degrees out, so was a cold one!
Nowhere near as quick as the blade ( didn't expect it be) , but had the traction control kicking in all the time and smoother than the 1199 I took out. Ergos are fabulous, I’ll be taking it on 3,500 mile round trip to Italy this year from the UK... so that’ll give a better idea. Feels lighter than 200kg, and less front biased that I’m used too... it feels sedate until I clicked 120mph on the speedo.... lovely. Wouldn’t go into neutral from standstill, but did rolling on..that’s my only caveat. Looks like previous owner has added all the optional Ducati catalogue, carbon everything and Evotech rad guard and levers.... the only thing I’ll add is a carbon belly fairing from Ilmberger...

Can anyone tell me if it’s got the larger touring screen??
I also added the Ilmberger bellypan to my SS; good choice that covers the converter. Why didn't Ducati extend the fairing to cover that (unsightly) hardware?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts