Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I’ve been all over this glorious site looking up the 14 tooth sprocket. So, why not start another post? lol.

Here goes. What are your thoughts on the acceleration compared to stock? How much top end am I sacrificing? I love the feel of our 939s off the line so how much more am I going to notice? Also, I changed gears in my Ninja 650 and it threw my MPH off. Do I need an adjustment for that?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Personally, not interested.

Just “downgraded” from a race tuned 200bhp ( 178 at the back wheel) Superbike that I put 40,000 miles on... with a mix of track, road and 8 euro tours ...

the only way I got 190 mph was on the Autobahn on 5 occasions, and the straight on the Nurburgring.....

it was too much for the roads in the UK, snatchy as hell on hairpins and tight twisties ( although fab on exits) and crap on fuel for touring as well as murder in traffic.

I threw good money at it, new ohlins front a few months ago, a set up at KAIS suspension and tuned at Motrac engineering. Great on that smooth, flowing long corners, but that was it...mediocre at best for everything else and just not fun.

I’m keeping mine stock, as it’s fab on the corners , has great, useable power on the roads and dare I say it,I’m quicker on it compared to my old race bike on the roads due to the standard set up.

keep it as is and enjoy it...you’ll be able to put 100% power from the off as is, while others will be slipping the clutch until 80...

You’ll never reach the limits of what it’s capable on the roads legally, only on straights on certain tracks on track days or unlimited roads...

massive hp is for bragging rights down at the pub, that’s it. 👍👍

58EDE298-3165-4C0C-9E0A-8F44BEB99780.jpeg

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
OK, the bike is over geared as delivered. The 14T sprocket wakes the bike up. Makes it more responsive. I was somewhat disappointed with the power when I got it, now it meets my expectations. For $20, not much to lose.

Insofar as top speed, haven't been there, don't know. Whether the bike will hit redline in top gear is an unknown to me; academically curious although. I'd rather have a lively bike that handles really well and power when I want it.

Someone here posted that the sprocket made a bigger difference than a slipon pipe and tune. I wouldn't know.

I wouldn't doubt at all that the SS is a better performer in the twisties vs a full on 1000RR. Better riding position, leverage on the bars, supple ride, good balance and usable torque. I rode this thing all over the Ozarks and just left in 4th gear. I was used to winding my Bandit up and down the gears, even my Guzzi on those roads.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Agree, but you don’t need to be at 8k and above to punch out of corners... I’ve been an advocate for high hp and top end for years.... first time riding a duc, and I get it..torque at low end and the lunch is already there for powering the exits... and it’s fun. Yes, it’s a right giggle nailing it, but a nail biting 14 days waiting for the NIP to come in the post....

I know I’ll play with it a bit in the future, I just can’t help it.... but my first port of call is a suspension setup....IMO the BEST money you’ll spend on the bike. 👍👍

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have the 14 tooth sprocket which i fitted in order to make the bike a little easier in town and village riding which it has done. It has made the acceleration slightly more snappy and a lot smoother.
In almost every real world situation this bike is all you need. The more I ride mine, the more I love it.
I have ridden the Panigale V2 and the Streetfighter V4s. Both bikes are stunning machines, but getting back on the SS after those rides gave me the biggest grin...

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Agree, but you don’t need to be at 8k and above to punch out of corners... I’ve been an advocate for high hp and top end for years.... first time riding a duc, and I get it..torque at low end and the lunch is already there for powering the exits... and it’s fun. Yes, it’s a right giggle nailing it, but a nail biting 14 days waiting for the NIP to come in the post....

I know I’ll play with it a bit in the future, I just can’t help it.... but my first port of call is a suspension setup....IMO the BEST money you’ll spend on the bike. 👍👍
Well, $20 is about as little as anyone could spend. Regarding the suspension, I had the dealer set the sag for my weight on my base model bike. After riding it 12k miles, I've taken one round of rebound out of the rear shock. That's it.

I am just betting that bought the S model? ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, $20 is about as little as anyone could spend. Regarding the suspension, I had the dealer set the sag for my weight on my base model bike. After riding it 12k miles, I've taken one round of rebound out of the rear shock. That's it.

I am just betting that bought the S model? ;)
Yeah... I love Ohlins. 👍 plus, I bought it used and got a good price on it. Although it leaks oil... 😂

·
Registered
91 Posts
I can't say something about the 15 because I never tested it. When I bought the ss I said to the ds to put immediately the 14.
My habits and knowledge with my former ducati and the roads I use "oblige" me to put it.
The only "problem" is for straight lines because is useless and rpm are too high.
But the advantage is that it's so easy to change it that you can choose to put the 14 or 15 according to the roads you use.
I did it before with the multistrada.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I might be with Jippo. Am taking the 14 off this week preparing for track day. If you spend any time above ~85 mph (and I know generally no business being there on public roads) you will notice the drawback. You will notice loss of top end. If you don't do much time up there then I don't see a downside.

And, like mentioned...cheap enough that one should ignore all of the advice and just put one on so long as you have the socket and torque wrench to do so or something you can borrow.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I might be with Jippo. Am taking the 14 off this week preparing for track day. If you spend any time above ~85 mph (and I know generally no business being there on public roads) you will notice the drawback. You will notice loss of top end. If you don't do much time up there then I don't see a downside.

And, like mentioned...cheap enough that one should ignore all of the advice and just put one on so long as you have the socket and torque wrench to do so or something you can borrow.
it's certainly a matter of personal taste. I couldn't tell much difference in range and mileage with or without it. No doubt the shorter gearing will affect both, I just didn't notice a big difference. Certainly the transmission has close gearing and doesn't have tall "overdrive" top gear.

I am curious about your point about running a track day over 85 mph. I doubt there is much chance of topping out but the bike will lose some acceleration which is pretty key on the track. Perhaps there are corners or ability to carry speed and momentum that might be to your advantage on that track?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the 14T. To be honest, I didn’t loose much off the top end, I’m still getting into 130+ no problem and I get there much faster. It’s not an insane increase, but it’s noticeable and much smoother in my opinion, shifting, vibration, moving through the torque curve, engine braking. My only draw back is the bike is much thirstier, not a big deal but I go through a ton of fuel riding hard. honestly, it’s feels more like the bike was designed with a 14 and a last minute “fuel efficiency/EPA” good idea fairy said “gear it up a tooth” and jacked it all up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yesterday I was able to try the maximum speed with the 14T.
148 miles. Really intelligent, I know....

This is a kind of roads that I can take every day. My playground.

Now you can understand why I say that the 14T is indispensable for me. 😅

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yesterday I was able to try the maximum speed with the 14T.
148 miles. Really intelligent, I know....

This is a kind of roads that I can take every day. My playground.

Now you can understand why I say that the 14T is indispensable for me. 😅
Holy crap, that's an unbelievable route. Yeah, I can believe a 14T is the ticket through those switchbacks climbing the mountains. Couple years ago I stayed at the Abbaye de Talloires (Lac d'Anncey) a couple years ago for a few days, then passed through Mont Blanc on our way to Como. Just to the south of you, but wow is it nice around that area. Will be back soon, maybe I need to rent a bike.

·
Registered
67 Posts

NIP ....Notice of Intended Prosecution? I had one back in March ....38 in a 30 🤷🏻‍♂️ took the online course + £90 but no points ! However, every time I go out on my SSS I get home thinking about the 14 day wait too 😩

1 - 20 of 21 Posts