Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 516 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we have a healthy contingent of dedicated MotoGP fans with excellent insight and analysis about the racers, their bikes, the tracks, each team’s management, DORNA and FIM.

I thought it would be convenient to have a common location for the latest observations and thoughts about the three series of MotoGP racing (not just the premier class).

Some members of our community have lots to give, others (like me) have lots we want to learn from other more informed and experienced fans.

I researched this sub-forum to ensure I wasn’t duplicating another thread. I found there were some great MotoGP threads but they were somewhat narrow, limited to a specific race or rider or even just a particular crash. So, I thought it would be nice to have a central conversation we can sustain from race to race and season to season.

If the Mods or the collective community think this is not a useful initiative, I am here to support our virtual community and won’t be disappointed if the thread is better off being filed in the circular file cabinet.

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’ll do my best to provide a “soup starter” below.

So, Silverstone 2019, featuring a brand new surface, just ended with Alex Rins (SUZ) beating Marc Marquez (HON) by .013 of a second, the fourth closest victory in MotoGP’s 70 year history.

Andrea Dovizioso (DUC), currently in second in the overall standing and favored to be somewhere on the podium, was unable to avoid a low-side by young, up-and-coming Fabio Quartararo (YAM) who over-corrected for a bit of a slide from Alex Rins in the first corner of the first lap. It was an ugly crash that could have been, but thankfully wasn’t, much worse.

Maverick Viñales (YAM) closed the gap with Rins and Marquez but still finished .620 behind Rins, a huge time difference in MotoGP racing.

Valentino Rossi (YAM), who had promising stats in the free practices and was anticipated to do well, was disappointed in his fourth place finish 11 seconds behind the race winner. MotoGP commentators (FWIW) yammered on about something must have gone wrong with VR’s bike.

Danilo Petrucci (DUC) finished in 7th place, the magic of Mugello seeming to have been a one-off performance and evaporating in the 2019 season as quickly as it arose.

Jack Miller (DUC), resting assured with his 2020 contract extension, finished in eighth, not surprising given the technical nature of the Silverstone track and Ducati’s fame for being a bit slack in the steering head angle.

Jorge Lorenzo (HON), finally back from his broken vertebra recuperation and the bombshell news of his flirtatious contact with Ducati, finished in 14th place but was happy with his performance. It seems he has recanted the prospective return to Ducati and will stick out 2020 with HON. Probably a good idea since the majority of riders called him out for not performing commensurately with his smack talk.

Johannn Zarco (KTM), having recently announced his early separation from KTM and feeling relieved about it, wasn’t able to translate that into on track performance as he wiped out his teammate, Miguel Oliveira, in lap nine.

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That 0.013 seconds looked like this
Yeah! It was a compelling win by Alex and I enjoyed every millisecond of it.

Somewhere around .013 seconds later was MM’s reaction shaking his head back and forth in anger that he’d been clearly outfoxed and squarely beaten.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Bwahahaha, hey that support for the underdog never dwindles.
I just loved MM93's reaction in the formal post race press conference when MM was told he was only faster than Rins in two of the corners across a full lap.
MM's ears pricked up and his eyes the size of dartboards, then he pretends to be sidetracked by his brothers incident in moto2.... MM's technique for handling loss is to pretend something more important has happened..

·
Registered
299 Posts
Without the falls, I think Rins would have struggled to contain Dovizioso and Quartararo while Marquez would have made a gap in the first few laps.
I also think that something did not work on Marquez's bike, at the middle of the race his pace was not constant and in the end he was in crisis with the tires. He tried to slow Rins by stopping in the middle of the corner knowing he could have better acceleration than the Suzuki. For this reason Vinales came close in the final laps.
On the last lap Rins didn't fall into Marquez's trap, he used trajectories that allowed him to come out strong from the last two curves ... and he was rewarded with victory!
However, Marquez lost the last two rounds because he was in trouble ... otherwise he would have come first due to a gap.
It is normal that he is angry because he has lost a few thousandths ... who would not be angry? But he must not even let his opponents see him, he is part of the game

Rossi never had the pace during the weekend, he was only fast on the single lap. Look at the times of FP3-FP4 and WarmUp

Petrucci is doing the same season of ups and downs as in Pramac ... driving the same bike for several years. He is a good rider but will never be a champion.

Same goes for Miller ... just that he talks a lot. Better to focus on your work rather than giving advice to others, especially when you haven't demonstrated anything in the field yet.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Without the falls, I think Rins would have struggled to contain Dovizioso and Quartararo while Marquez would have made a gap in the first few laps.
I also think that something did not work on Marquez's bike, at the middle of the race his pace was not constant and in the end he was in crisis with the tires. He tried to slow Rins by stopping in the middle of the corner knowing he could have better acceleration than the Suzuki. For this reason Vinales came close in the final laps.
On the last lap Rins didn't fall into Marquez's trap, he used trajectories that allowed him to come out strong from the last two curves ... and he was rewarded with victory!
However, Marquez lost the last two rounds because he was in trouble ... otherwise he would have come first due to a gap.
It is normal that he is angry because he has lost a few thousandths ... who would not be angry? But he must not even let his opponents see him, he is part of the game

Rossi never had the pace during the weekend, he was only fast on the single lap. Look at the times of FP3-FP4 and WarmUp

Petrucci is doing the same season of ups and downs as in Pramac ... driving the same bike for several years. He is a good rider but will never be a champion.

Same goes for Miller ... just that he talks a lot. Better to focus on your work rather than giving advice to others, especially when you haven't demonstrated anything in the field yet.
I think your judgement on Petrux is largely unfair. He is the only one to make points in every race this season. He is upholding the constructors points for Ducati.
It's fair to say only one of the 24 can be the champion. That doesn't mean the others don't belong there. I personally watch it to see the mad moves from extremely talented people. Naturally I grow a dislike for some riders because of their dirty tactics, such as MM.

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think your judgement on Petrux is largely unfair. He is the only one to make points in every race this season. He is upholding the constructors points for Ducati.
I looked at the standings again and I think you’re right about Petrucci.

He’s in fourth place, after all, with 145 points ahead of Viñales and Rossi at 118 and 116 respectively.

I think my comment above (about the Mugello magic having evaporated) also unfairly slighted Petrucci.

·
Registered
430 Posts

He’s in fourth place, after all, with 145 points ahead of Viñales and Rossi at 118 and 116 respectively.

I think my comment above (about the Mugello magic having evaporated) also unfairly slighted Petrucci.
Petrucci seems to be a good example of the old motor sport saying "To finish first, first you must finish". It's scoring points in every race that has him in front of Vilales and Rossi. If Millar had finished every race this season in his usual placings he too would be about equal points with Petrucci.

Point being they are all very good. Perhaps the others go down more often as they test the limits more, whereas Petrucci takes a more conservative approach and happy to consistently accumulate points. Nothing wrong with that approach, riders have been winning championships that way since motor sport was invented.

To the contributor who said Jack Miller was all talk and yet to demonstrate ability, even if he retired tomorrow, in forty years time he'll be able to look at the trophies of his 7 race wins at the elite levels of the sport (6 in Moto3 and 1 in MotoGP) and also be able to tell his grandchildren how he was cheated out winning the 2014 Moto3 Championship in the final race by the younger Marquez.

·
Registered
477 Posts
As for something “not working” on Marquez’s bike, you could say the same thing about any top rider when they lose a race to an opponent because of a speed deficiency. The competitor simply got the bike setup working in his favour better than the main rider.

In any case, it was clear that Marquez was struggling to maintain pace. For all the races this year, Marquez has been riding much smoother than previous seasons, much less of irresponsible antics to prove a point and more of mature and smooth but incredibly fast riding, usually commanding a sizeable advantage. At silverstone, however, he was fighting the Honda at every breaking point and into every corner, the bike bucking and weaving as in the old days. It was quite laughable to hear him say afterwards that he was riding “conservatively” to think of the championship rather than the race in light of that, but that’s probably just sour grapes and not wanting to own up to having lost two races in a row.

In fact, I think his loss against Rins hurt more than his loss against Dovi, despite Marc saying the opposite. It was clear after Austria that that was a happy, upbeat Marquez joking with Dovi, being generally excited whereas here at Silverstone he was a MUCH more demure figure. Just speculation on my part, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he counts Dovi a “worthy opponent” whereas he sees Rins a much less worthy one, adding to pain of losing.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It's fair to say only one of the 24 can be the champion. That doesn't mean the others don't belong there. I personally watch it to see the mad moves from extremely talented people. Naturally I grow a dislike for some riders because of their dirty tactics, such as MM.
I am not doubting that he is a pilot who scores points at home, but this was supposed to be the season of improvement. He had to be a driver constantly fighting for the podium, he succeeded after 4 races and won at Mugello. But then there was a decline and now he complains about the same issues as the Pramac period.
In my opinion, he will never really be able to fight for a world championship like we did at the beginning of the season, even without Marquez on the track.

Rossi and Vinales have 3 zero in the standings ...
I repeat, good Petrucci to bring points, but it has always been ... I expected something more on the official bike

·
Registered
299 Posts
As for something “not working” on Marquez’s bike, you could say the same thing about any top rider when they lose a race to an opponent because of a speed deficiency. The competitor simply got the bike setup working in his favour better than the main rider.

In any case, it was clear that Marquez was struggling to maintain pace. For all the races this year, Marquez has been riding much smoother than previous seasons, much less of irresponsible antics to prove a point and more of mature and smooth but incredibly fast riding, usually commanding a sizeable advantage. At silverstone, however, he was fighting the Honda at every breaking point and into every corner, the bike bucking and weaving as in the old days. It was quite laughable to hear him say afterwards that he was riding “conservatively” to think of the championship rather than the race in light of that, but that’s probably just sour grapes and not wanting to own up to having lost two races in a row.

In fact, I think his loss against Rins hurt more than his loss against Dovi, despite Marc saying the opposite. It was clear after Austria that that was a happy, upbeat Marquez joking with Dovi, being generally excited whereas here at Silverstone he was a MUCH more demure figure. Just speculation on my part, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he counts Dovi a “worthy opponent” whereas he sees Rins a much less worthy one, adding to pain of losing.
I was referring to the fact that during free practice his pace was always fast and constant, he didn't repeat himself in the race ... And I agree, he didn't think he was beaten by Rins and this hurts more because, in my opinion, he knows that Alex is strong and not afraid of him ... like in Brno

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
What was interesting was how MM opened up about his race strategy.
For those who don't have access to Dorna media, MM's strategy is to stretch the front pack and reduce the number of riders in the front pack from lap one.

That way, he feels he only needs to contend with one or two riders towards the end.
So he purposefully tries to slow the front pack down if he is leading in the middle of the race to then conserve some rubber for the end battle. Which has proven to be only one rider to contend with at the end. He's no stupid racer MM and has confidence in his and the bikes ability.
However, he made one of those comments I just cannot take. He said no one can beat him, and that the championship is his.
Well if anything that is pig headed and demonstrates his lack of respect for others on the track.
Previously Rins highlighted MM is a dirty rider, and truth behold, MM purposefully pushed Rins off the track at Silverstone. I've watched that media cut over and over with an aerial view of the penultimate lap, MM looks left and sees Rins then proceeds to push his Honda wide and expel Rins across the green bits.
How come Dorna do nothing about his wreck less riding. It is blatantly obvious in the aerial video he aimed his bike to push Rins off.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Petrucci seems to be a good example of the old motor sport saying "To finish first, first you must finish". It's scoring points in every race that has him in front of Vilales and Rossi. If Millar had finished every race this season in his usual placings he too would be about equal points with Petrucci.

Point being they are all very good. Perhaps the others go down more often as they test the limits more, whereas Petrucci takes a more conservative approach and happy to consistently accumulate points. Nothing wrong with that approach, riders have been winning championships that way since motor sport was invented.

To the contributor who said Jack Miller was all talk and yet to demonstrate ability, even if he retired tomorrow, in forty years time he'll be able to look at the trophies of his 7 race wins at the elite levels of the sport (6 in Moto3 and 1 in MotoGP) and also be able to tell his grandchildren how he was cheated out winning the 2014 Moto3 Championship in the final race by the younger Marquez.
I like Miller. I like his innocent honesty. I don't think he's a big mouth, he just answers the questions given by the media with an opinion.

Reminds me of one of my favourite responses when people think a person's answer is obnoxious or arrogant,
"If you don't like the answer then don't ask the question"

What I don't enjoy is how CC35 belittles and ridicules. He does it all the time, just as much as he falls off.
Haha, Matt Birt, the Dorna commentator, almost let it slip out of his mouth, naming him Cal Crashlow, but he reeled his tongue back in.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Im not sure if it was the new surface ( I expect it was ) but it was quite noticeable that in the early laps at least to lap 6 MM was struggling to contain the shudder on his bike on acceleration Dare I say his bike looked like the Ducati early last year which wobbled every time they put the hammer down. It looked to me that Honda didn't account for the better grippy surface and rather than loosing some traction MM had to restrain the throttle. I heard an interview where he said he couldn't push in the early laps but then later he could push? im not sure if it was tyres or Mapping ? im guessing it was mapping and Honda just didn't get the mapping right according to the game plan. What a ride by Rins great to watch, I was half expecting him to loose the front end9 as he has done before) in his efforts to hunt down MM.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
What was interesting was how MM opened up about his race strategy.
For those who don't have access to Dorna media, MM's strategy is to stretch the front pack and reduce the number of riders in the front pack from lap one.

That way, he feels he only needs to contend with one or two riders towards the end.
So he purposefully tries to slow the front pack down if he is leading in the middle of the race to then conserve some rubber for the end battle. Which has proven to be only one rider to contend with at the end. He's no stupid racer MM and has confidence in his and the bikes ability.
However, he made one of those comments I just cannot take. He said no one can beat him, and that the championship is his.
Well if anything that is pig headed and demonstrates his lack of respect for others on the track.
Previously Rins highlighted MM is a dirty rider, and truth behold, MM purposefully pushed Rins off the track at Silverstone. I've watched that media cut over and over with an aerial view of the penultimate lap, MM looks left and sees Rins then proceeds to push his Honda wide and expel Rins across the green bits.
How come Dorna do nothing about his wreck less riding. It is blatantly obvious in the aerial video he aimed his bike to push Rins off.
Heck, Dorna seems to think MM can do no wrong. Look what he did to Rossi in '15. He screws VR's chance to win the title but Rossi is the one that gets penalized. Amazing. MM did it for spite and GOAT status IMO. Instead, MM will never be loved, known as a great (greatest?) rider but awful sportsman. I was an MM fan, saw him win his first MGP in Austin, then he continued to run over people and ride like a jackass. Don't care much for him.

I could draw comparisons to a couple of F1 multi champions that are still considered the greatest as MM is. Running over competitors is seldom called for unless it's justified retaliation or blatant blocking.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Watching fp4 at austria, it seemed to me that in the second half of the session, 93's tires started going away, while Dovi continues to hold pace. Then we saw that same thing play out in the race. I would have liked to see if Dovi had anything for 93 at Silverstone. He didn't qualify well, but had good pace in fp4. Seems to me like 93 has to use his space alien bike handling skills to get the honda to perform with the Ducati, so he uses up his tires that much faster.

1 - 20 of 516 Posts