Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this is a rather odd one. I just got my bike this year, but I've never had another bike do this. When my bike heats up to around 180, it's fine. Throttle is immediate, everything feels gucci and right. However, when just starting it up and heading out, before the bike is heated up, there is an almost half second throttle delay. When the throttle does come on, it doesn't feel like I'm getting everything. Like I said, this goes away once the engine heats up. Has anyone else had this issue? This is very much not in my head, it's extremely noticeable. The difference between the bike at 180F and 120F is pretty massive in terms of throttle response.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
So this is a rather odd one. I just got my bike this year, but I've never had another bike do this. When my bike heats up to around 180, it's fine. Throttle is immediate, everything feels gucci and right. However, when just starting it up and heading out, before the bike is heated up, there is an almost half second throttle delay. When the throttle does come on, it doesn't feel like I'm getting everything. Like I said, this goes away once the engine heats up. Has anyone else had this issue? This is very much not in my head, it's extremely noticeable. The difference between the bike at 180F and 120F is pretty massive in terms of throttle response.
I noticed the same thing but only after the dealer did the annual service. Once it warms up, no lag. I haven't noticed it the last couple of times I've ridden it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This happened to me two days ago and I shrugged it off as it was the first time the bike seemed to do it. It kind of seemed rough to boot - like a carbureted bike does when not warmed up. Not something I'd expect from FI.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I heat mine up until its not showing low anymore. I dont feel a slow response from get-go by a few meters in it feels the fuel feed dipped a smidge. It could just be me coming off the throttle ever so slightly due to a bump or something.

·
Registered
142 Posts
yeah mine feels very different for the first bit of riding. feels like the engine isn't making full power but just getting by. I always wait until low is gone but usually leave at 108ish.

I only noticed it recently but didn't think anything of it until your comment.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I usually crank it and ride right off. Clutch sometimes has to be feathered a little when cold, but I’ve not noticed hesitation.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I just had my annual service done. Didnt involve any ECU updates
I can't be sure that ECU was updated but it did cross my mind since that's when I noticed the throttle lag. I would guess that the tech would plug the computer in the bike and would verify and update software as well as any faults.

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
The ECU is periodically updated.

My understanding is that even the techs don’t know when an update is going to occur, and are notified only after it’s been done when they routinely plug the bike in during service.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,656 Posts
I usually crank it and ride right off. Clutch sometimes has to be feathered a little when cold, but I’ve not noticed hesitation.
Same here. It was at the dealer for the gear lever recall and to activate the quickshift in February, I would have thought any software update would have been done then unless it's more recent.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
To be honest the throttle lag only seems to happen for the first 5 minutes of the ride. If you don't hit the throttle hard, you'd never notice it. And I've only noticed a few times, not every time I've ridden it. But I never noticed it before until I got the annual service. It crossed my mind that they might have updated the ECU.

When someone wrote about the same experience, I thought that there's probably a connection.

·
Registered
109 Posts
To give this some context, the lag felt more like I was in urban mode than the sport mode I was in - I had to check display twice to be sure I didn't change modes. It wasn't horrible, but definitely noticeable for a few minutes. And this is on a bike that I've not had in for any service yet since buying it. Just felt it for the first time.

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
My Scrambler has a bit of a lag too before a little warm-up.

From my perspective I don’t really consider this an issue of concern with either bike, just a characteristic when cold.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I believe my bike did get an ECU flash. Today I was in town and the engine temp didn't default on the display until the temp was 212. I think we I purchased the bike it came on in the 190 range. It's summer and I really didn't have any throttle lag.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To be honest the throttle lag only seems to happen for the first 5 minutes of the ride. If you don't hit the throttle hard, you'd never notice it. And I've only noticed a few times, not every time I've ridden it. But I never noticed it before until I got the annual service. It crossed my mind that they might have updated the ECU.

When someone wrote about the same experience, I thought that there's probably a connection.
This is exactly the case. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but I've been riding quite a long time and I tend to get on the bike right off the line, and for me, the delay is SUPER annoying. I know it goes away, but it will just come back if you park anywhere. I'm going to work with my dealer to get rid of it if they can. If not, guess I'm not getting the extended warranty and I'll just get an upmap/exhaust. Everyone is different, and everyone has different levels of patience for things. This is the only bike I've ridden where this happens intentionally. For me it's no bueno, when I turn the throttle, I want the bike to do something, not wait a full second and then do something.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts