Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I have not yet sat on a ss and if I had I would have either ordered one or added it to the list of awesome bikes that I cant ride. I am 6.2 and1/2 not quite 6ft 3'' My passion is hitting the mountains and riding the twisties I'm hoping this bike will fit me. I currently ride a a GSXS1000F with a small drop and offset to my pegs it has awesome power with 145BHP and a lot of fun but it is quite upright and I want that sport ride feel rather than a roadster / Streetfighter feel. My problem isn't up top i.e. lean forward or hip angle its the right knee angle (3 operations and reconstruction)which on all RR type supper sport bikes mean I cant operate the rear brake at all. Is there any tall riders out there that know what I'm on about. I.E. cant fit on a GSXR1000r, BMW s1000RR, CBR1000r Fireblade etc but fit the SS.

Thanks guys
Rhino Queensland Australia

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm 6'3" and took one out for 2 hours no bother. It's roomier and less sporty than my VFR800
Thanks that gives me some hope or though I don't fit on the VFR800 the bike fits ok but the knee angle is too tight. Motorcycle Ergo shows it at 66 degree and my GSXS 100f is 73 degree do you think the SS has a ten degree difference than your VFR800? PS I sent a request to Motorcycle Ergo a few weeks ago to add the SS but no luck yet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks that gives me some hope or though I don't fit on the VFR800 the bike fits ok but the knee angle is too tight. Motorcycle Ergo shows it at 66 degree and my GSXS 100f is 73 degree do you think the SS has a ten degree difference than your VFR800? PS I sent a request to Motorcycle Ergo a few weeks ago to add the SS but no luck yet.
legs definitely tighter on the VFR

·
Registered
422 Posts
Your height is not an important factor in riding a bike, but your leg length is. My wife and I are the same height but her legs are 5 inches (12cm) longer than mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Coming from a Hyper 796 where I feel like a beast on it (only 6'1") and still trying to decide whether or not the Supersport would be a good fit for me. Certainly feels bigger than my Hyper but unsure of the cockpit. Thrown a leg over but no more.

Any taller guys made the transition from a more upright ADV stance bike to the Supersport? Experiences?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Height Expert

Any taller guys made the transition from a more upright ADV stance bike to the Supersport? Experiences?
I'm your guy. I'm 6'8" and had a 2004 Multistrada. Transition from ADV to SS is easy. SS is more stable, balanced, and confidence inspiring. Only negative to SS is a wider steering radius than most ADV bikes. After two weeks on my SS I rode my old Multi and I felt like I was on an alien being. Bike seemed wobbly, steering shaky, and it felt like it might tip over.

Other observations:
1. your long arms will give you a more vertical seating position than your vertically-challenged brethren
2. your long legs will be cramped under the tank ridge. I plane to solve this problem by purchasing extendable pegs. So far, I have been comfortable, but I suspect that I won't remain so on distances longer than 300 miles.

Good luck

Reactions: Rhino

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
6ft 8" wow well if you fit I will be ok. I had drop pegs fitted to my Gsxs1000 made a huge difference loved the feeling of the pegs scraping in those tight turns

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well my waiting is over I am test riding the Ss tomorrow along with the BMW 1200RS and 959 just for reference.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok had my ride earlier. No complaints it was great, fitted me well both up top and in the knee ( a slight adjustment in the brake lever level is all I will need.) I decided to ride the BMW R1200RS 1st and at 160+BHP I really enjoyed it I had the front wheel coming up powering out of every tight turn awesome torque and smooth. Anyway that was my reference point before getting on the Ss and obviously there was a huge difference in power, The Ss handles a lot lighter and more nimble and has a more aggressive riding position but is Not More Agresive. I think it just delivers its power very well and you don't feel the need to back off. Probably exactly what I need to get through those bends quicker. Anyway I'm going for another ride tomorrow am going to have a little play hopefully when the Salesman asks how it went I can say Shut up and take my money ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
oh man, you guys are killing me. i'm so NOT trying to but a first model year Duc again (that Hyper 796 had its issues) but this make me wanna go take a test ride when i'm off work next week.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
oh man, you guys are killing me. i'm so NOT trying to but a first model year Duc again (that Hyper 796 had its issues) but this make me wanna go take a test ride when i'm off work next week.
My '13 Hyper was a new model as well but was flawless for me, so that made me think it's okay to buy a first model year again. Here's hoping it all works out! So far, the only recurring issue is the vibrating mirrors...for the most part. Let's hope that's all...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well my waiting is over I am test riding the Ss tomorrow along with the BMW 1200RS and 959 just for reference.
I just know you're gonna fall in love with it!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just know you're gonna fall in love with it!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh:
Yeah I have already I ordered the White SS after that test ride and I spoke to the salesman yesterday who said it has arrived so I will be picking it up next weekend, I live about 300K away from the dealer so really looking forward to the ride home I will be taking the backway home a few twisties on that route just so I can vary my revs rather than constant highway revs:smile2:

·
Registered
886 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts