Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bend the key!

Ladies and gentlemens
Let me introduce you the first Supersport with a top box!
Just kidding it’s a fake for now, the plates I designed need a modification and now that we are close to the holiday it’s almost impossible to have it done.
Anyway, I just wanted to see how it looked, using the Kappa 36litres “Manta” (monolock) I already bought for my white honda pcx and let you see.
What do you think? It’s not the best but not the worst thing neither... consider that in less than 5 min the whole structure comes out.

Did you actually finish the adapter plate?
I needed a top box as a storage for my helmet during parking (or to transport a passenger helmet), and went with this solution:
https://www.hepco-shop.de/en/meinbi...rack-for-ducati-monster-1200-r-from-2016.html
Its explicitely stated not to support a real top case, but the top case I use is below 3kg with adapter plate (its the cheapest and smallest GIVI case).

I needed to grind away a little bit of material from the carrier to fit with the fairing, but it still seems massive enough. Interestingly, the amount of grinding was different on left and right side:

The more annoying problem is: the lock of the seat is located differently, so you need to "bend the key" to be able to open the seat lock.

Since I did this already accidently while trying to fit the carrier and key (the metal of the key is surprisingly soft), and the bent key is still working normally, I left it this way (as my reserve key / seat lock opener), but this could be a stopping point for anybody else using this solution.

Regarding the looks, I think its ok without the top case. The officially intended use is as soft baggage carrier, without the Givi-adapter. Then its even less obstrusive.
I didn't notice negative changes of the riding, I especially tested for reduced stability at high speeds (up to max) and found it unchanged.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi! I was about to give up with my structure at one point but eventually I’m making it, with little modifications, I’ll post some pics soon.
This H&B frame looks good, is it stiff?... I tried the Ventura Rack but I was not satisfied, that little tubes are not sturdy and the top box oscillates too much imo. Just the right side tube was bended and it didn’t interfered with the seat lock at all, since it was specifically designed for the SS, but your workaround seems very clever.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Final version

Here the final version of my top box design, I was thinking that the Givi V47 was the top box with a nice look for this bike, I just painted the frame with a wrapping paint you can remove anytime without problems, it’s a matt white more white than the actual color but it’s fine.
I tested the thing today and tomorrow going to bring the pieces for the black powder coating.
Soon more details on the pieces and the frames for the side cases.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
@Mario Wow, that looks big. Have you had a chance to ride with it fully loaded yet?

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I would be careful of the weight you put back there, though. There seems to me to be subframe support issues, not to mention the unsettling of the suspension in certain circumstances.

·
Registered
133 Posts
@Mario Wow, that looks big. Have you had a chance to ride with it fully loaded yet?
It’s big but I feel that the exact dimensions are someway distorted by the phone camera.
Looking at the reflections from the shop windows it seems more acceptable.

I haven’t ridden it full loaded, I don’t want to do that at all since I only need room for my stuff when the bike is parked, even if some load will be inside in some cases.
I can say that I felt the presence of the thing, even almost empty, but I got used pretty quick.
The structural problem in the subframe is a concern, but the material is a structural steel 4mm thick (S235JR or A36), it’s ductile and since the parts can be easily inspected I’ll check for any failure signs regularly.
I also performed some calculations using FEA (because it’s my job) and well, the bottom line of the results is that if I ride caring for my low back spine, it will be fine for the brackets as well :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
It’s big but I feel that the exact dimensions are someway distorted by the phone camera.
Looking at the reflections from the shop windows it seems more acceptable.

I haven’t ridden it full loaded, I don’t want to do that at all since I only need room for my stuff when the bike is parked, even if some load will be inside in some cases.
I can say that I felt the presence of the thing, even almost empty, but I got used pretty quick.
The structural problem in the subframe is a concern, but the material is a structural steel 4mm thick (S235JR or A36), it’s ductile and since the parts can be easily inspected I’ll check for any failure signs regularly.
I also performed some calculations using FEA (because it’s my job) and well, the bottom line of the results is that if I ride caring for my low back spine, it will be fine for the brackets as well :wink2:
Ok, not fully loaded...perhaps leaving for gear and helmet when parked? Makes sense. Understand the size now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What is the latest here?
Anyone tried the SW Motech Alu-Rack for Monsters?
Boy I wish I had taken the rack off my departed Monster.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Here the final version of my top box design, I was thinking that the Givi V47 was the top box with a nice look for this bike, I just painted the frame with a wrapping paint you can remove anytime without problems, it’s a matt white more white than the actual color but it’s fine.
I tested the thing today and tomorrow going to bring the pieces for the black powder coating.
Soon more details on the pieces and the frames for the side cases.
If I'm seeing correctly, those brackets come from the hand grab mounts. I like that idea. I think I need my mates shop to bend me some plates. Thanks for posting and inspiring me. I have tried coming from underneath the sub frame but didn't like it, never for a moment had I thought about coming off the hand grab mounts on the sub frame.

I have the k-wing system on my tourer and can swap the box plate clamp between the bikes.
I guess it'll be difficult to understand what I mean if you don't know the k-wing system.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If I'm seeing correctly, those brackets come from the hand grab mounts. I like that idea. I think I need my mates shop to bend me some plates. Thanks for posting and inspiring me. I have tried coming from underneath the sub frame but didn't like it, never for a moment had I thought about coming off the hand grab mounts on the sub frame.

I have the k-wing system on my tourer and can swap the box plate clamp between the bikes.
I guess it'll be difficult to understand what I mean if you don't know the k-wing system.
Amoslws, Here you can see better

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Fantastic. I have given some cardboard cut outs and my K-wing top rack to my mates machine shop. They'll use my cardboard template and bend me some plate.
I'll let you know how I get on.

What thickness is your plate?
4mm
I can say it’s at the limit for locking the seat, in fact my comfort seat closes quite easily and the standard one is a bit more tricky.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I also used a plane washer and a self locking nut on the other side of each screw, Don’t rely only on the threaded insert included in the handles.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I also used a plane washer and a self locking nut on the other side of each screw, Don’t rely only on the threaded insert included in the handles.
I was thinking about a backing plate, only 1.5mm thick just to support the under the subframe where the brackets go.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts