Ducati SuperSport Forum banner

Trade-In

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Gadgetech 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and/or any thoughts about my situation:

As I've excitedly announced elsewhere, by SS is here and ready for pickup tomorrow. I've put my $500 deposit down and plan to put $1500 more down tomorrow. When I first spoke with the dealership about purchasing the bike, I was told that I could trade my 2004 Multistrada in for about $2400. Shortly thereafter I was told I could expect to get $2000 for the Multi. The dealership's finance department ran the numbers based on this $2000 figure and I was happy with the arrangements. After sending in photos of my bike and being unable to find all of the maintenance records, the dealership now tells me they will give me $800 for the Multi.

I'm relatively certain I can sell the Multi for at least $2500 so I told them to keep their $800 offer. This now puts me in the position of doing a private sale of the Multi. Not a huge problem, but time I didn't want to spend certainly. It also changes the finances of the purchase of the SS. Not dramatically, and not a gamebreaker, but irritating at the very least.

All that to ask, has anyone experienced such a dramatic markdown on a trade-in? Does that sound reasonable? Would it be worth taking my business elsewhere? I assume I can get my deposit back by saying it was based on the $2000 trade-in figure and there is another dealership nearby from whom I can purchase an SS.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
I would handle the purchase of the bike and the sale of your bike seperately. If the dealer is giving you a good price on the new bike and there aren't any other Duc dealers around you to bargain with, then I'd go for it and sell your bike privately. Would the dealer take your bike on consignment and sell it for you with a commission? Cycle Trader and Craigslist can be a hassle, but your old bike is priced pretty low so you should get some offers. I've found that selling higher priced bike privately can be tough so yours should be okay. Just have to be patient. Any deposit I've ever put on a bike has been refundable. Good luck.

#5 ·
They are a dealer and need to make money somewhere. How else can they pay for their building, lighting, advertising and salesmen? If you expect them to give you full market value for your Multi then you would not be happy if they closed down due to lack of funds.
If I was ready to order my SS now and was doing a trade in then I would have the figures in writing as part of a contract, but perhaps we do things different on this side of the Atlantic.

#6 ·
I had the same situation on my bike, too.
I had a MV Agusta Dragster and wanted to trade in. First the dealer was very interested and curious about my asking price.
He told me that it was reaasonable.
After making a test ride with the Supersport he said he could only do 2500€ less.
The price for the supersport only was not good either. ( almost list price)

In the end I sold my MV private and got even 3000€ more than the dealer offered.
I ordered the Supersport from another dealer with good discount. :smile2:

#7 ·
No matter how one looks at, it remains unethical to commit to a trade-in value then back track after the deposit is placed. Customer service is built on trust and performance, I would tell them to shove it and move to another source. To add salt to their wounds I would blog them so badly about their integrity. Pay google 6$ per month and everytime a search is done on them then my blog in bold letters comes up first. That's how you do it when you show the middle finger.

#8 ·
I'm curious how this works. I can't imagine a dealer would commit to a trade-in price without first seeing and inspecting the bike being traded. And if the trade is a week out or more, their inventory could totally change in that time. If, for example, they picked up another Multi or two, yours all of a sudden has far less value to them. Also seems like this must be spelled out in their policies somewhere.

Either way, since there's another dealer in your area, it wouldn't hurt to see what they can do for you. Or did you already pick up your new SS?

#9 ·
Pretty crappy on their part. Your best bet is to sell on your own and then buy when you have all your monies to put down. I talked to a dealer today trying to make out like I'd lose out if I took the time to sell on my own. I know for a fact they're going to offer me $3-$4 k less than I can sell the bike on my own for. I just sold a $23k Harley in 5 weeks, I'm pretty sure this Duc would be easier at 12-13k.

#10 ·
I traded in my 2015 Hyperstrada in flawless condition. I knew going in it wasn't going to be pretty, since the Hyper was discontinued from the Ducati line as soon as the Supersport was announced last fall. Brand new 2016 Hypers, which listed for 15 grand were all of a sudden being unloaded for 9800 bucks in SoCal. I was offered 7000 for my 2015, but it needed new tires front and rear, so they deducted another 500 and the final number was $6500. I was kind of expecting worse, so in the end I wasn't terribly unhappy with the "deal" I got. Bottom line is trade-ins are usually a great deal for one party...the dealer. I didn't want the hassle of a private sale...I've found that when it comes to motorcycles, you end up getting calls from a bunch of guys who promise they want the bike, but have to "arrange financing" that never seems to materialize. The trade in route was painless, even if the bike in a private sale might have been worth a bit more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.