Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
LowRyter, I couldn't agree more! And believe me: I will not be on that Panigale for nearly as long at a stretch. The SSS is so versatile and fun and comfortable - it scratches many itches, while the Panigale just scratches one very specific itch. But, wow, does it scratch it! ;-)

A.
Thanks for the info and comparison! I do love my SS and it definitely “scratches many itches” as you eloquently stated. The one it misses is that one solved by about 40 more HP, which is right where the V2 seems to land. Great...now i have to decide if my prettier half will accept my push for a V2 ;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm really interested to see a Streetfighter V2. I've had my V4 for almost a month now and have eclipsed 3000 miles, and those were all remarkably comfortable. I find the riding position most comfy than my SS actually, though the wind blast above 80 or so gets pretty intense. I've hit 140 on a stretch, and that god it happens immediately because it's just sensory overload with the wind noise, the buffeting and the desperate desire to hold on for dear life. I do have a windscreen coming in but it's on back order, but i think the power band and lower horsepower of the V2 might be pretty attractive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It seems that with the V2 in the lineup we may start seeing variations on it.

A V2S seems likely (some say no because it encroaches on V4 pricing, but I'd say no when you consider the V4S). A V2 Streetfighter encroaches on the Monster 1200, I suppose, but still seems like it would do well, IMHO.

I'd love to see that Streetfighter V2, personally, as it would be fun as hell - and I say this as a HUGE fan of the V2 engine. That engine puts an enormous smile on my face. It would compete with the Aprilia RS660 Tuono concept bike (which I've heard will be in production for 2021).

All told, the V2 plant is a fantastic high-to-mid-powered engine with boat loads of character. It feels as much like a Ducati as anything vintage.

Allen

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So, I've just tipped over the 625 mile mark on the V2, and I don't have anything terribly new to report on my appraisal of the bike when compared to the Supersport. But I will say that I am still very much in love, and as I get to learn the bike I find myself riding so effortlessly when being "spirited." I think I was struggling up against some of the SSS's limitations, especially in terms of wheelbase-related turning stuff (I'm sure you know what I mean), and on the Panigale I just don't have anything close to what I was feeling when pushing the SSS harder.

I've also grown more comfortable riding the higher revs on the V2, and up around 8k this thing just is an entirely different bike from the SSS. It's gnarly, and fast, and loud, and quick to launch itself forward out of a corner when revved higher. I don't trust myself enough to ride the higher RPMs in race mode (same as the SSS Sport mode). I keep it in the "medium power" setting (Sport on the V2), and it's just easier to control. With the SSS, I found full power totally manageable, but unless I'm on a track, the V2 is staying in medium power mode. It's very smooth, that setting.

I'd also suggest the Corsa IIs for anyone on a SS who likes more grip and isn't looking for longevity. Wow, these tires are sticky and feel great on the road. the Corsa IIIs are great, too, but the IIs really feel like sport tires in comparison.

A.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
What about vibrations on hands? Similar on normal highway road as in SSS? For me normal is legal and it's 6k rpms on the dashboard. I ride like this and after 450+ km I have 2 days little strange hands.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It would be nice if the could have an SS with V2 power.
You're missing something here. If the SS had the V2's engine it wouldn't be as tractable on the street, as most of the power increase on the V2 is in the upper RPM band. No, Ducati got it right with the SS powerplant - the 11-degree motor is what you want on the street. Horses for courses, they say.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
You're missing something here. If the SS had the V2's engine it wouldn't be as tractable on the street, as most of the power increase on the V2 is in the upper RPM band. No, Ducati got it right with the SS powerplant - the 11-degree motor is what you want on the street. Horses for courses, they say.
Of course you're right. I just wish the current engine had another 1500 rpm and 20 more horses. Not wishing for the moon. But as I've said, I don't want more weight, a stiffer bike or fatter tires.

I suppose I have all I need in the current package. (y)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Vibrations on the V2 are less than on the SS overall. And at higher RPMs, where the SS gets buzzy the V2 stays pretty smooth.

I wouldn't want the V2 engine in the SS. I think that kind of power doesn't suit the format of the SS, and would likely feel like it had too little down low and too much up top. The Panigale makes you happy to make the tradeoff of torque for power, because it's so well designed to work when riding aggressively. The SS makes you happy to tradeoff high end for that ultra-smooth torque curve down low, because it's not really designed for high revving horses. They're both very well thought out and executed packages.

I think the downside of the argument for 113hp and being able to use all of it is that some of us will tap it all and wish for a little more from time to time. On the V2, I've always got those high horses to call on when I want to - but you'd be surprised how unresponsive the V2 is below 6k compared to the SS. Always a trade-off, and ultimately these two bikes excel at rather different riding styles.

The more I ride the V2, the more I realize that it is a VERY different bike from the SS. Looking at spec sheets (as I did before making my purchase) suggests rather comparable bikes, but the experience of riding them is WAY more different than the specs suggest. Part of this realization is my learning how to use the V2's engine, getting used to riding at higher RPMs, and just adjusting generally to the new bike.

A.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
It just seems the 939 sorta "flattens out" when you want a little more fun. So yeah, a few more RPMs and a few more horses.

Given that, I'd like to personally thank the guy that recommended the 14T sprocket.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Anyone feeling a significant increase in top end power with a de-catted and re-mapped SS?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Anyone feeling a significant increase in top end power with a de-catted and re-mapped SS?
inquiring minds want to know.

I did ask Bobby at HSBK race team. He said that he thought it would give the 939 about 6 HP. That didn't impress me but I should've asked him about the power curve and whether the power kept going up to 10k.

So for about $300 you can get a really nice looking pipe with (not so attractive) shorty muffler for $300 (Delkevic) and perhaps another $500 to dyno tune it? And get about 6 HP. I suppose I could brag that I had 120 horses (or maybe 105 at the rear wheel?).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nope, these improvements add torque more than top end. At least that is my experience with Termignoni and Upmap. So if anything, the bike becomes stronger where it already is strong.

·
Registered
201 Posts
But here's the thing: the SuperSport isn't selling very well. Doesn't that make you wonder? Consider too that my retardedly powerful StreetFighter V4 - with almost no wind protection and an insane price tag - is almost impossible to get because of all the people lining up to hand their dollars over to Ducati to get their very own. Maybe the SuperSport is perfect in your mind and doesn't need to change, but I think the market may disagree. I want a SuperSport with more power and more refinement. Maybe suiting my needs would mean Ducati would go from selling few SuperSports to no SuperSports, but I have my doubts. You can tell people that they're wrong about what they want until you're blue in the face, but it's their money to either hand over for a SuperSport, or, to buy something else. Sadly, a lot of people are buying something else, and I think a few tweaks could change that.

·
Registered
242 Posts
But here's the thing:....
Supersport sells about the same as your average Ducati models sell for a model version. Monsters are sold because there half a million of variants. Obviously certain models sell more than the average, but if you think about the media and marketing coverage those models have, it is obvious that they do attract more market attention, which is then reflected by the sales figures.

rz33v4 is right though. V2 engine wouldn't be the one to choose for SS. Correct engine would be a bigger bore Testastretta which would have a bit more top end and shitloads more torque. In addition, product development cost would be zero as the bolt on the existing frame. V2 engine in SS would eat V2 sales. Bike with different character probably wouldn't. IMHO it would make sense to have a cheaper "sensible" sportsbike branch based on Monster chassis (ie. Supersport 950 & 1200) to cover the gap between Monsters and Panigale derivants, which SF is in the end.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
But here's the thing: the SuperSport isn't selling very well. Doesn't that make you wonder? Consider too that my retardedly powerful StreetFighter V4 - with almost no wind protection and an insane price tag - is almost impossible to get because of all the people lining up to hand their dollars over to Ducati to get their very own. Maybe the SuperSport is perfect in your mind and doesn't need to change, but I think the market may disagree. I want a SuperSport with more power and more refinement. Maybe suiting my needs would mean Ducati would go from selling few SuperSports to no SuperSports, but I have my doubts. You can tell people that they're wrong about what they want until you're blue in the face, but it's their money to either hand over for a SuperSport, or, to buy something else. Sadly, a lot of people are buying something else, and I think a few tweaks could change that.
While I agree with your statement for the most part, I will debate on some of what you said. When the SS was first released in 2017, it was VERY popular and quite hard to get for the first year for sure. I wanted to ride one and they were not around anywhere. Once those that wanted it got theirs, the draw dwindled and now they are available and not a terribly popular bike. Your Streetfighter is in the same boat: it's a new model with the V4 that everyone thinks is the bomb, but once the ones who want to buy one get theirs, it will probably drop off in popularity like say the Hypermotard did.

The Streetfighter is a V4 is an easy to ride package, it will be a hot ticket. For a while. But it's too expensive to be a long term popular buy.

A Supersport with 20 more HP would be cool, but it won't sell more bikes, not long term at least; people in the US buy SPORT bikes or sport TOURING bikes that are more touring than sport. It's audience has always been pretty small and with he current power plant will continue to be.

·
Registered
201 Posts
IMHO it would make sense to have a cheaper "sensible" sportsbike branch based on Monster chassis (ie. Supersport 950 & 1200) to cover the gap between Monsters and Panigale derivants, which SF is in the end.
I think that's a sound suggestion. I like the fit and finish of my SF an awful lot, but you're right to say that the price of the SF makes it a bit less appealing, so there has to be a sacrifice. I think that the 1200/1260 is a great mill for the bike as an option, more so than the 959.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You could be right, but I was also a pre-order for the SS and it didn't have the same level of buzz that the SF does. Of course that doesn't mean that the SF will continue to sell at this rate, but it is the high end of the naked market, which I think has replaced sport bikes for new machine sales. Not a lot of guys are buying pure sport bikes anymore with the majority being scramblers (I see a TON of scramblers) naked bikes and adventure bikes. A Streetfighter line can sort of be mixed in with the Monster line in the minds of a lot of people who aren't purists (the majority) and I think can continue to be a strong seller, at least in certain variants. Ducati will likely continue to sell all of the SFV4 bikes they make, while an SFV2 priced at around $15,000 would probably be extremely popular. In a perfect world, Ducati would have a highly refined sport-touring bike with greater displacement, and I love the ergos and looks of the SS. I don't really want a Multistrada when I hit that 40 year old mark and start looking for something more relaxed, but the SS lacks the power and features that I'd really like to see.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts