Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I realize this is a little late since I already bought and mounted it, but I just picked up a new helmet, a Shoei RF-1200, and decided to splurge for the Transitions faceshield so I don’t have to remember to swap the clear shield between the tank bag on each of the bikes.

Anyone else use it? i think Shoei, HJC and someone else have them available. How’s it working got you? I’ve read good things, and the negatives seem pretty minor but some real world, real rider input would be great.

It’s been a while since I had a Shoei helmet, man, I forgot how nice they can be!!

Edit: it’s Shoei, Klim and Bell helmets, my bad:

https://www.transitions.com/en-us/products/adaptive-helmet-shields/

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have one on my Bell Star. Love it. I put it on and have yet to switch it out, it's been on for 4 or 5 years now.

The only "down side" is that they darkest they get is similar to a "medium" smoked shield. If you live in the desert you probably want to keep some sunglasses around to use in addition during the brightest parts of the day.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one on my Bell Star. Love it. I put it on and have yet to switch it out, it's been on for 4 or 5 years now.

The only "down side" is that they darkest they get is similar to a "medium" smoked shield. If you live in the desert you probably want to keep some sunglasses around to use in addition during the brightest parts of the day.
That was my fear, the “dark” isn’t as dark as the “dark smoke” I normally buy. Until I looked it up to find out the brands I forgot that Bell had one and if it works out for me I’ll probably buy one for my Star which will now be relegated to backup duty.

It’s too bad, I LOVE my Star but the communicator speakers just have nowhere to go and that makes the ear area slightly uncomfortable if I don’t tuck my ears in just right. Most of the time I do get it right, but those times I don’t it’s a literal pain. This RF slid on with zero issues, my ears tucked in prefect and there’s areas cutout for the speakers. Worked great right out of the box.

Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,612 Posts
My last two helmets, a Lazer Monaco and a Lazer Monaco Evo, both had transitions visors and I really liked them. Unfortunately the Evo was destroyed when I had the off a year ago. Due to availablity, or at least the lack of it, I replaced it with an LS2 Vortex in carbon. Same light weight but no photochromic visor :(

·
Registered
477 Posts
That was my fear, the “dark” isn’t as dark as the “dark smoke” I normally buy. Until I looked it up to find out the brands I forgot that Bell had one and if it works out for me I’ll probably buy one for my Star which will now be relegated to backup duty.

It’s too bad, I LOVE my Star but the communicator speakers just have nowhere to go and that makes the ear area slightly uncomfortable if I don’t tuck my ears in just right. Most of the time I do get it right, but those times I don’t it’s a literal pain. This RF slid on with zero issues, my ears tucked in prefect and there’s areas cutout for the speakers. Worked great right out of the box.

Thanks for the info!!
I’ve got the photochromatic visor for my Shoei NXR. Only used it for one season so far but never felt I needed sunglasses. I can’t speak for desert climates but it gets plenty dark for the southern Scandinavian sun. When it’s full dark it’s dark enough as to be almost opaque when looking at from the “outside”. I would imagine the Minnesota sun isn’t that different?

Should also say that I’ve never had a normal dark (i.e. non photochromatic) visor before, so it’s possible those are even darker.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My last two helmets, a Lazer Monaco and a Lazer Monaco Evo, both had transitions visors and I really liked them. Unfortunately the Evo was destroyed when I had the off a year ago. Due to availablity, or at least the lack of it, I replaced it with an LS2 Vortex in carbon. Same light weight but no photochromic visor :(
That’s cool Laser has them available as well, glad to hear you liked them.

I’ve got the photochromatic visor for my Shoei NXR. Only used it for one season so far but never felt I needed sunglasses. I can’t speak for desert climates but it gets plenty dark for the southern Scandinavian sun. When it’s full dark it’s dark enough as to be almost opaque when looking at from the “outside”. I would imagine the Minnesota sun isn’t that different?

Should also say that I’ve never had a normal dark (i.e. non photochromatic) visor before, so it’s possible those are even darker.
Yeah, I don’t feel we get any blinding glare or anything too crazy bright, it should be fine, I think, for what I need. Thanks for the insight!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
I have one for my RF-1200. Unfortunately, not a fan. Doesn't get dark enough for my taste. Been sitting in the closet for a couple years, now. I have a light sensitivity, so the darker the better for me. It did work great for its intended purpose, though.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have one for my RF-1200. Unfortunately, not a fan. Doesn't get dark enough for my taste. Been sitting in the closet for a couple years, now. I have a light sensitivity, so the darker the better for me. It did work great for its intended purpose, though.
I wonder if the tree cover in the area keeps it from getting full dark? ****, I have a light sensitivity as well with a somewhat messed up right eye, that was my fear because light smoke isn’t enough and I always run dark smoke.

Might need a dark smoke for normal riding, the transitions as my “night” shield. Eh, we’ll have see how it works.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had my transition shield for the Shoei RF1200 as soon as they were available 2 years ago if I recall. Anyway I was one of the first to get it in my area. I feel as if does get dark enough for the brightest of days. Works well when riding towards the setting sun directly in front of you. The only downside I have and it could be just me. The visor is starting to show small circles or areas where it no longer transitions or gets dark. It looks as if you have a few large bugs splattered over the visor. For a visor that costs almost as much as some helmets you would expect it to last longer. I think I'm going to have to get a new one soon and hope it lasts longer.
Otherwise I'm going to switch to simple dark visor. I find that for the majority of my rides the visor is in full dark mode the entire time anyway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My AGV sportmodular is the first lid I've had with a drop down shield. (like Schuberth has had for years). I tell you what - best thing since sliced bread. Only thing I'm disappointed in is that I can't reverse them for summer riding (smoked main, clear inside) because the inside isn't as impact rated as the main. My problem is usually inverted - I ride 95% in bright light, getting caught in the dark is what sucks. But this has been working for me very well.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I should update this:

I’ve ridden a few times with it (damn Covid) and while it gets kinda dark, the dark smoke on my Bell Star is much darker. It’s fine, I’ll live, but definitely not the be-all, end-all face shield for those who need it dark dark.

My bigger problem is the helmet itself. It fits fine once it’s on, needs some more breaking in, but is a ***** to actually get on, the head hole is tiny, the earpiece pockets are not that big so the Sena speakers rub my ears and it’s just not the plush, comfortable helmet my past Shoei’s always were. I may grow to like it more as time goes on but I definitely prefer the Bell Star over the RF1200.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I guess I should update this:

I’ve ridden a few times with it (damn Covid) and while it gets kinda dark, the dark smoke on my Bell Star is much darker. It’s fine, I’ll live, but definitely not the be-all, end-all face shield for those who need it dark dark.

My bigger problem is the helmet itself. It fits fine once it’s on, needs some more breaking in, but is a * to actually get on, the head hole is tiny, the earpiece pockets are not that big so the Sena speakers rub my ears and it’s just not the plush, comfortable helmet my past Shoei’s always were. I may grow to like it more as time goes on but I definitely prefer the Bell Star over the RF1200.

Which Star do you have? The older Star, from 2011 to 2014 is what I have and I LOVE the fit. The new Star 2015+ is weirdly like a 1/2 size smaller and the ear pockets are super annoying. Somehow, the cheekpad pokes me in the ear hole. I WISH they would go back to the older Star fit, with the new Star aero.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Which Star do you have? The older Star, from 2011 to 2014 is what I have and I LOVE the fit. The new Star 2015+ is weirdly like a 1/2 size smaller and the ear pockets are super annoying. Somehow, the cheekpad pokes me in the ear hole. I WISH they would go back to the older Star fit, with the new Star aero.
I feel EXACTLY the same way!!! I have a one of the older Stars and tried one of the newer MIPS ones and hated the fit which is why I went looking elsewhere and landed on the RF1200. I generally buy a year or 2 old closeout graphic model, run it for 2 or 3 years and replace it with another closeout graphic model but I love this Star so much I have been hesitating changing.

The RF1200 is OK once it's on, but it's just not the "old" RF800, RF900, even RF1000 that I used to use.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts