Ducati SuperSport Forum banner

Do you go to 1st to make it pop at a stop???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I know that the look and sound of pretty much any Ducati (anyone I've ever owned anyway) has always turned a few heads.

But... am I the only one who downshifts to 1st when coming to a stop to hear the exhaust do that pop pop pop pop thing???

It's so cool... 馃榿

Registered
When stopping I downshift through all the gears, blip the throttle for each downshift, until I get to neutral. I leave it in neutral at the light and shift to first when I am ready to go. At a stop sign, I may downshift to first, if it's clear and I get off right away. If I need to wait, I just leave it neutral.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When stopping I downshift through all the gears, blip the throttle for each downshift, until I get to neutral. I leave it in neutral at the light and shift to first when I am ready to go. At a stop sign, I may downshift to first, if it's clear and I get off right away. If I need to wait, I just leave it neutral.
I鈥檓 assuming you don鈥檛 have the quick shifter, because you don鈥檛 need to clutch or blip the throttle.
Standard model?

Registered
I鈥檓 assuming you don鈥檛 have the quick shifter, because you don鈥檛 need to clutch or blip the throttle.
Standard model?
Certainly not. Shifting is one of the things I enjoy when I ride and I also like the sense of control. I don't want an automatic tranny either. The slipper clutch is an acceptable crutch but when I feel it, I'm a little disappointed in myself.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Certainly not. Shifting is one of the things I enjoy when I ride and I also like the sense of control. I don't want an automatic tranny either. The slipper clutch is an acceptable crutch but when I feel it, I'm a little disappointed in myself.
So then if we follow that logic.. The guys in Motogp use it as a crutch and lack control???

This is Ducati number 7 for me, and in every case, they are more fun if you ride it like you stole it.
To each his own鈥 you can鈥檛 put a price on another man鈥檚 pleasure鈥 yadda yadda
馃憤馃徎

Registered
2021 Supersport 950s, 2019 Multistrada 950s
I do exactly the same. Have the quickshifter but only use it for upshifting (to higher gears) when on a racetrack. It then allows me to have one less thing to focus on鈥
In all other riding using the shifter and clutch makes me feel more 鈥檆onnected鈥 to the bike. And the blub-blub-blub-ing on downshift makes me happy. Every time.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do exactly the same. Have the quickshifter but only use it for upshifting (to higher gears) when on a racetrack. It then allows me to have one less thing to focus on鈥
In all other riding using the shifter and clutch makes me feel more 鈥檆onnected鈥 to the bike. And the blub-blub-blub-ing on downshift makes me happy. Every time.
Good point there.... this is about the sound in 1st gear coming to a stop...
No matter how you shift there!

Registered
Absolutely! Popping through all the gears with a quickshifter at low RPMs for maximum poppage. :)

Registered
So then if we follow that logic.. The guys in Motogp use it as a crutch and lack control???

This is Ducati number 7 for me, and in every case, they are more fun if you ride it like you stole it.
To each his own鈥 you can鈥檛 put a price on another man鈥檚 pleasure鈥 yadda yadda
馃憤馃徎
OK, I'm doing it wrong, have no logic, don't ride aggressively, and not having fun either. Man, that's a lot of inferences. I'm not sure why so many here that bought the "S" model want to make a point about those of us that didn't. Certainly when challenged about it here previously it kicked off divisions and personal attacks that have been ongoing for several years. So I'll keep my reasons to myself.

AND TO BE CLEAR when I answered your poll, the QS idea never crossed my mind since I don't even have one. I don't want anyone here to think I had some ulterior motive when I answered in the first place.

BTW, I don't need a QS to upshift clutch-less (at least past 2nd) (which I do all the time) and I can DS on some bikes from the few higher gears clutch-less as well (but not on my Duc).

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I'm doing it wrong, have no logic, don't ride aggressively, and not having fun either. Man, that's a lot of inferences. I'm not sure why so many here that bought the "S" model want to make a point about those of us that didn't. Certainly when challenged about it here previously it kicked off divisions and personal attacks that have been ongoing for several years. So I'll keep my reasons to myself.

AND TO BE CLEAR when I answered your poll, the QS idea never crossed my mind since I don't even have one. I don't want anyone here to think I had some ulterior motive when I answered in the first place.

BTW, I don't need a QS to upshift clutch-less (at least past 2nd) (which I do all the time) and I can DS on some bikes from the few higher gears clutch-less as well (but not on my Duc).
ummmm鈥.. ok 馃
So, you do or do not like the popping sound it makes coming to a stop in gear?

Premium Member
Hmmmm. Pop pop pop versus Conti's on overrun? Sorry guys , no comparison.
Hope the newly ordered Termi's sound better.

Registered
Any riding course will advise you not to sit at a light in neutral. Much safer to be in the ready position, 1st gear, clutch in, hand on throttle, checking mirrors as you come to a stop. This way if a distracted or drunk driver isn't paying attention and is about to rear end you, you can move out of the way. Just something to think about.

Registered
Any riding course will advise you not to sit at a light in neutral. Much safer to be in the ready position, 1st gear, clutch in, hand on throttle, checking mirrors as you come to a stop. This way if a distracted or drunk driver isn't paying attention and is about to rear end you, you can move out of the way. Just something to think about.
That鈥檚 a commonly preached thing but if you look at it from a practical standpoint you鈥檇 have to literally stare into your mirrors the entire time you are sitting there and ignore what鈥檚 in front of you. And by the time you realize that person coming in behind you isn鈥檛 stopping where are you going to go that鈥檚 far enough away they still won鈥檛 hit you? And where are you actually going to go, into oncoming traffic? The ditch? I understand the sentiment and the fact they tell you to do it but odds are very slim that person won鈥檛 at least somewhat react and their eyes will follow where the shiny taillight is going.

I鈥檝e been licensed to ride motorcycles on the road 33 years yesterday, hundreds of thousands of road miles and never once have I been sitting there and went, whoa, I gotta move. Coming to a stop, yes, I鈥檝e scooted between lines of cars to get away from people stopping short but at a standstill never once.

Registered
As I said, if I have an opportunity to immediately go, I leave it in first. Certainly if my awareness warranted the concern you mention, I'd keep it in gear. Typically, I'm in the middle of a line of cars at a traffic light and have a good wait, so there really is no concern or advantage wearing out my cutch and left hand.

I agree with Mike, that filtering and lane splitting make sense. When I was young and didn't know it was illegal, I did it constantly. Now that I know it's not legal where I live, I am cautious about road rage and anxious police, so I don't do it.

But I have no universal rules. I adapt to the circumstances.

So again, I must be doing it wrong and apparently it's just not good enough to ride your own ride.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A ship docked in the harbor is very safe鈥. But that鈥檚 not what ships are for.

Registered
Advanced riding courses in the UK advocate coming to a smooth stop using the rear brake. Then if you鈥檙e going to be sat waiting for more than a 鈥渕oment鈥 put the bike in neutral but then switch feet to ensure you鈥檙e ready to pop it into 1st at a moments notice. Foot hovering at the gear lever. Hands on controls. This minimises stress on your hands but leaves you ready to react. Whenever I鈥檓 stationary I鈥檓 constantly in my mirrors and turning my head looking for hazards (such as those from behind).

Saying that, I often leave it in gear if I anticipate a quick go or feel the hazards around me (cars, scooters or thieving bastards) may require a swifter exit鈥.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmmm. Pop pop pop versus Conti's on overrun? Sorry guys , no comparison.
Hope the newly ordered Termi's sound better.
That鈥檚 a whole other thing there鈥. The Termi for this bike looks and sounds great鈥
Probably the direction I鈥檒l end up going.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts