Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I bought a 2018 SupersportS two weeks ago. I was quoted October for a new one (in the UK). I knew I wanted one within a mile of embarking on a test ride and there was no way I was waiting!
I'm 64 and have been biking on and off since I was 17. I came back most recently just under three years ago. Although I have a Harley 883 Sportster and 1994 Fireblade (Urban Street Tiger) lurking in the back of the garage I decided my return should be aboard a Norton 961 Cafe Racer. Not a good choice as it broke down after about six months two years ago and is still with the dealer whilst they try to find out where the problem with the electronics lies. As a stop gap I bought a Honda VFR. That did all I wanted on the road but nothing to my heart when I looked at it so I traded it in for a Kawasaki Z900RS last year which (until I met the Duke) I thought was one of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden. The only problem with the Kwaka is that its looks, which to my mind are drop dead gorgeous in the Candy Green paint scheme, mean that it would be a travesty to put panniers on it for those days when one needs to carry stuff be it either full on touring or just a change of clothing for work etc. So I had to look around for something else and was considering the Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX (adventure tourers do nothing for me) until I saw a photo of the white Supersport with the Ducati panniers that, whilst hating panniers in general, I thought looked pretty okay which is when I tested and fell in love with the Ducati. Unfortunately I hadn't seen the 'panniered bike' with the panniers removed at that point. Now I have and there is no way I can have something so ugly as the remaining framework ruining the looks of my bike so in that respect I am no further forward but I don't care that path led me to the Supersport and I am happy! My main dilemma now is what to do with the other bikes. I know I am still in the honeymoon period with the Supersport but in the limited time I have to ride it really is hard to look any further than the Duke when I open my garage door.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Welcome to the board. A 94 Urban Tiger Blade 'lurking' in the back of the garage? Have you had it since new? You will love the Supersport

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
345 Posts
I don't like the looks of the pannier rack either. So when I don't have to use the panniers, the whole rack comes off as well.

Either way, have fun with the bike and always keep the rubber on the road.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I don't like the looks of the pannier rack either. So when I don't have to use the panniers, the whole rack comes off as well.

Either way, have fun with the bike and always keep the rubber on the road.
Keep the rack preassembled when you take it off. Then you just have to bolt it to the bike and tighten the remaining bolts- takes 10 minutes. Also reduces the possibility of shearing the assembly bolts which is a common problem.

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
345 Posts
@LowRyter What do you mean with "pre-assembled"?
It's just six bolts and one piece wiry-looking piece of welded metal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A big thanks for all the replies and welcomes. The information regarding the pannier frames is very useful, cheers. I had wondered how long it would take to fit and remove them on a regular basis. And to answer Triplesapper; Yes I have had the Blade since new. It is currently with my local bike shop having the carbs sorted out and generally being checked over for road worthiness. I am looking forward to riding it again although I do wonder how the passage of time will effect my ability to ride it for long periods. Which is one of the areas in which the Ducati steps up to the plate.​

·
Registered
2002 900 SSie, 2022 SS 950 S
143 Posts
That's very encouraging! 😂😂
Hi I have now owned my 950 S for 10 months and I just keep loving it more and more....this is definitely a keeper. I am of a similar age to yourself.

Strangely, I don't mind the pannier rack too much - I generally leave the bags on.

I do have a Shad "pin system" tank bag...this is really great, it attaches to the bike via 3 small pins set into the bezel around the fuel filler. Very unobtrusive, yet secure.

Interested in your comments re. the 961, apart from the fact that it doesn't work (!) what was it like for the handling? I did consider one of these quite seriously, but maybe I dodged a bullet! I liked its general presentation and that engine is a looker!

It's the handling on the 950 that does it for me - it is sublime, and as I get more and more into it, it is as if it just keeps getting better and better!

My only real gripe is the engine flexibility at low speeds...it really could do with a 14t engine sprocket but the onboard electronics just don't permit it. But I suppose that's what clutches are for...

But that aside, I'm still very, very pleased with mine. And it really is the gift that keeps on giving. Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Speedy 23. You definitely dodged a bullet with the 961. I fell in love with the looks especially of the cafe racer iteration. The collapse of Norton in its previous incarnation, the new owners bought the name but not the company and its liabilities (responsibilities?), means that currently there are no spares available. I am kind of lucky in so far as my problems are electronic so hopefully sooner or later a suitable replacement will be found. I'm not sure what would happen if a main mechanical part failed. Having said that yesterday I bumped into a guy who had just toured the Pyrenees on his. So I guess it is just the luck of the draw with the odds stacked more than usually high against the owner. With regards to the handling I didn't really have it in working condition long enough to get to grips with it. All I can say is that the wow! factor that hit me when I started riding the Ducati means that it probably wasn't in that class 😂 but then again what is?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts