Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had my front and rear tyres changed for new (Rosso IIIs) and have noticed some damaged on the rear rim. I only noticed it today (5 days after the change and 250 miles) whilst giving the bike a much needed clean. I can't imagine road debris could have caused this. Does this look like tyre change damage?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
The scrape on the rim was likely caused by the tire change. It's pretty easy to scratch even being careful.

I've learned to use just a light dab of touch up paint, when it's really bad I can use an airbrush. It's an easy job on the black rims.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Unfortunately, I think too that it's a tyre change damage.
The guy where I change the tyres have putted small pieces of tissue on tire attechment of his machine to avoid this.
The impacts on the rim caused by road debris are generally round and little.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Plus 1 on the tyre change damage. I had the rear tyre changed twice (punctures) in a week by 2 different shops and they were really careful and didn't damage it.
In fairness the first shop pointed out some tiny chips on the wheel to me when they took it in, but I was already aware of them - at least they were conciencious and checked the wheel for damage before working on it

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah, it was when they mounted the tire. I have what looks like a stone chip that I suspect was a wrench dropping on the rim. Also have fine scratches from what looks like a Brillo pad to remove the adhesive left from removing the old weight. Pretty brain dead, but that’s what happens when others work on your bike. Anyone know where I can get touch up for red rims?

·
Registered
222 Posts
@brucemswan you should be able to get the touch up paint from any good automotive paint supplier. The colour code should be in the back of the owners handbook.

The Tyre Fitter must be a sandwich short of a picnic if he used an abrasive pad or wire to remove the adhesive from where the old tyre balancing weights were. There was adhesive residue on the wheel after my first tyre change which I removed easily enough with some parafin

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all. Looks like I'll be giving the guy a call in the morning.
He's normally very good - he's a one man band based out of a small unit in an industrial estate. I know of plenty of people who get their bikes serviced there (old and new) and he's come highly recommended.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thank you all. Looks like I'll be giving the guy a call in the morning.
He's normally very good - he's a one man band based out of a small unit in an industrial estate. I know of plenty of people who get their bikes serviced there (old and new) and he's come highly recommended.
Hopefully you can get some resolution, although it can be difficult as he could say that the damaged occurred after you picked up the wheel i.e. you did it.

I always check my wheels for damage in front of the Tyre Fitter - and as said in my post above, on the two occasions I have had my rear tyre changed in the space of one week :( the Tyre Fitters did a good job as the wheel wasn't damaged at all considering how easy it is to damage them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Totally happened during the tire change. This is the reason I go through the hell of changing my own tires. It's a chore, but it's the only way I've found that I could avoid damage to my rims.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts