Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else hate the way they put those ugly lead weights on the rims of your bike ? Yes I know that they are for balancing the wheel and tyre. But each time you get a new tyre put on they pull the old ones off and shove a new set in the appropriate position and you get it back with old grubby glue patches and residue and the new ones are in the most ugly position and at the worst angle (not straight at all). No More for me I m putting my 190 tyre on and telling them not to balance the wheel :)surprise::surprise: WTF I see @se7en thinking...... one other.... is thinking :x I don't even notice :x the weights :x your not an aeronautical engineer so please don't even think :x:x ) but I have a Cunning plan :grin2: I am going to add those special beads into the tyre which are used on the MOTO GP Bikes. They work out how many beads are needed baced on the volume of the tyre and as the tyre spins it balances out the wheel / Tyre :nerd: And... the beads help to evenly distribute the heat :grin2: Well slap me with a uncooked Boereworse I hear @amoslws say and its like only five bucks for a bag. I'm getting mine done next week.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Anyone else hate the way they put those ugly lead weights on the rims of your bike ? Yes I know that they are for balancing the wheel and tyre. But each time you get a new tyre put on they pull the old ones off and shove a new set in the appropriate position and you get it back with old grubby glue patches and residue and the new ones are in the most ugly position and at the worst angle (not straight at all). No More for me I m putting my 190 tyre on and telling them not to balance the wheel :)surprise::surprise: WTF I see @se7en thinking...... one other.... is thinking :x I don't even notice :x the weights :x your not an aeronautical engineer so please don't even think :x:x ) but I have a Cunning plan :grin2: I am going to add those special beads into the tyre which are used on the MOTO GP Bikes. They work out how many beads are needed baced on the volume of the tyre and as the tyre spins it balances out the wheel / Tyre :nerd: And... the beads help to evenly distribute the heat :grin2: Well slap me with a uncooked Boereworse I hear @amoslws say and its like only five bucks for a bag. I'm getting mine done next week.
Grab your mrs black nail polish, and hair dryer. No one will notice the difference afterwards, not even the mrs.

·
Super Moderator
7,816 Posts
Oh, be interesting to hear your report on them...

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My mate is the Distributer in Australia and most of his applications go to Haulage company's and the mining industry18 and 20 plus wheels per rig all balanced by tyre size and volume. He said he would give me the specs for the wheel and tyre sizes they have for the Moto GP bikes I will research it but sounds good to me.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going to need evidence of them going in and what the electronic balancer states....not getting away with it that easily hey.
I will arrange my tyre to be changed to the 190/55 next week at my bike shop and put the beads in there and then run it on the balancer and see the result. if it doesn't balance then on go the weights ..... but it will :grin2:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Going to need evidence of them going in and what the electronic balancer states....not getting away with it that easily hey.
I will arrange my tyre to be changed to the 190/55 next week at my bike shop and put the beads in there and then run it on the balancer and see the result. if it doesn't balance then on go the weights ..... but it will
So hate to revive a year old thread but I was just looking at these magic beads and called BS and thought id give the forum a quick search. So @Rhino what was the outcome?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So hate to revive a year old thread but I was just looking at these magic beads and called BS and thought id give the forum a quick search. So @Rhino what was the outcome?
:laugh::laugh: I never tried it, if I remember right the dealer had damaged my tyre :frown2: and there was all sorts of drama ! and they didn't have a digital wheel balancer, I think I might try again though when I get a new set of tyres from o different dealer with a digital balance.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ah bummer i just remembered that you had eventually gotten the 190 on your bike so figured you did this at the same time. I was doing the pricing of kit to mount and balance my own tires and was like hold the phone maybe i dont have to buy a balancer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used those beads several years ago on my Buell Ulysses.
I like the clean look of the wheels, of course. I couldn't feel any bouncing/ out of balance in a couple years of riding. I sold it with the beads still in. The tires were very heavy Shinkos.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah bummer i just remembered that you had eventually gotten the 190 on your bike so figured you did this at the same time. I was doing the pricing of kit to mount and balance my own tires and was like hold the phone maybe i dont have to buy a balancer.
might be worth you giving it a try if it works it will save you buying the balancer. I was convinced that they would work at the time.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Would seems that these beads might damage the interior of the wheel. Like, take the pain off, or something. I'm still skeptical on the use of these on street going bikes.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I use them on my Beemer R100 and my Triumph Thruxton and have for several years. Not perfect, but seem to work OK. They are tubed wheels, so can’t comment on fear of damaging interior finish of wheel. The beads are tiny ceramic beads, very light weight and only an ounce (28.35 grams) are in each of my wheels.
Not sure a wheel with beads inside can be static balanced, think not.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I don't mind the way stick-on weights look. My criticism is that they seem to fling off.

The funny thing is that I never notice it until I am cleaning the bike.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have thought about putting the weight on the inside. I heard a tip once, balance the wheel itself, then the tire will take much less to balance. I might give it a try when I do tires on the SSS.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts