Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ed and Jippo
Thanks for the response. I have the QD pipe with the Arak muffler using the QD db killer. So I will try this again with a warm motor, im excited and its easy enough to do, once you blunder through it the initial time
I will keep you posted

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Accomplished the Upmap flash. App gave me some trouble until I realized my corporate mobile phone was restricting access to opening websites from within the app and there unable to see and accept the legal terms and conditions and claiming the free fuel map in the store.
Went ahead with using my Ipad as device for the process and everything then went smooth, just as described by others. Afterwards the phone can be used to read out live info from the bike (not sure I will need it for anything though). Certainly runs smoother at take-off and not at all as jumpy as without the map. Don't know if it is the changed sound or my bum really can feel the extra added HPs and slightly lower weight of the bike. But it does feel like its been given quite a kick above 4.500 rpm. Also, seems like the engine is not running as hot as with the cat (around 70 dg. C) for a lively 100 km trip. Before, I would think it was easily above 90 dg. C). Outdoor temp was 12 dg. C. Did anyone experience the same regd. engine temperature?

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
243 Posts
Temps are bit hard to compare, as the bike quickly warms up in slow speed. My bike runs at 68-72 degrees C at normal road speeds, IIRC it did that also before. Bike is definately cooler to sit on in stop-and-go city traffic, though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I did some comparison testing with Upmap. I did some comparison runs on a same route with the stock map and Termi map installed testing road performance and fuel consumption. I also did some acceleration tests to see if I could register a difference in power. I repeated the acceleration test few times. Test was highly unscientific, as my measurements have a great deal of uncontrollable variables, but I did my best. Weather was dry, but rather cool 5 degrees C. Bike has the Termignoni D181 installed with the baffle installed. Maps used were the Termignoni map for the baffle (SS939 EU4 17 D181 FD) and the stock map installed on the bike from june 2019. It also has the 14 teeth front sprocket, but more on that later

I originally installed the T800 during the winter, so I hadn't yet had a direct comparison with the map on/off the bike. Reverting the bike to stock map was thus quite new experience for me as well. First of all, noticeable with first few hundred meters on the stock map was the smooth throttle. Termi map has a huge flat spot between 3-4k rpms when the engine is cold. This creates the feeling of unresponsive engine. Stock map is smoother over all at city speed, but especially on a cold engine the difference was really noticeable. Second thing that was a bit of a surprise was that I could actually feel the difference in power. Stock map felt really lethargic when accelerating out of corners. Normal driving the difference is the smooth response, but when the throttle is opened more (say 50%) it appears as if the smoother action might actually be lack of power. Coming to highway entry I decided to see whats up and it soon became clear that the engine had truly much less go on the stock map, than what I have become used to this spring. It just wouldn't go as it should have.

At the acceleration test location I managed to do few runs with both maps, but not record all of them. On the times it is worth noting that I had a small tank bag on the to carry the gear over and that limited my range of movement on the bike to control it. I ran the tests on touring setting in order to be more consisten on the times. Touring allows less front wheel rise and enabled me to pin the throttle very early on. From there on I let the electronics manage the acceleration and front wheel rise. This techique with the stock map resulted mild power wheelies when the engine got to the power band. With the upmap the wheelies lasted way longer on up to the second gear. This is partially to do with the location and the tank bag I had to carry. On sport mode, 14 teeth front and upmap installed the bike will wheelie quite happily with first and second gears. As amusing as it may be, I think I would actually be faster with a 15 teeth gear as it would be easier to manage the acceleration. Timewise I was few tenths faster 0-100kmh, with about a second difference at 1/4 mile favouring the Upmap. Difference in power is quite significant.

On the road part of the test there is quite little difference in performance: 939 is a great bike on the road. There may be, and indeed should be, a difference in overtaking acceleration but that is very hard to measure with the means I have. Probably upmapped bike performs better, but the stock bike is no slouch either. It seems as if the overrun crackle and the pops when changing up are more pronounced with the map. I think they are a bit more frequent too. For me that is a positive, as I love the noise this bike makes, but your mileage may vary.

Consumption difference between the mapped and stock bikes is huge. Without doing anything else, than installing the Termignoni map the fuel consumption rose from 5.2l/100km to 5.9l/100km on the same route. Route had mixed roads with some town riding in it with overall length of 80km. Average speeds were quite low as a result. On swift touring speeds the consumption difference rose to 1l/100km making a 20% increase in consumption and similar reduction in range. It is quite evident that the engine runs way richer to create the additional power.

All in all, it really depends what you want from your bike. For me, these test results mean that the Upmap stays in. It is worth noting that running slightly rich is better than running lean. Upmap takes care of running lean for sure. But also, to compensate for the consumption I will switch the 15 teeth front back in. It will help especially with the consumption in touring speeds, which is important for me. It will also make the full gas accelerations easier without making them a bit slower.

·
Super Moderator
6,253 Posts
@Jippo Very helpful write-up!

If you recall, is it possible to estimate how much louder the Termi is with baffle-in compared to stock (10%? 20% 30%)?

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you recall, is it possible to estimate how much louder the Termi is with baffle-in compared to stock (10%? 20% 30%)?
I remember it sounding very loud at first start. :) Thinking back, it isn't really that loud. On low revs it is deeper, fuller sound, not that much louder. If the engine is at full throttle and 8000rpm, it is loud, but in the neighbourhood the situation is different. Stock exhaust did sound tinny and sort of mechanical tone, whilst Termi is low rumble and roars at high rpm. I don't find it obnoxiously loud in any situation, vice versa I find it adding to the experience quite a bit.

When touring iI use ear plugs, but it is due wind noise. In fact, it is difficult to hear the engine at over 120km/h due to the air noise. I run with Shoei NXR, which should be a quiet helmet.

I don't think it pisses off the neighbours either, local kids with mopeds are worse.

Ps. With 15 teeth front I only got 5.3l/100km consumption on a similar route despite really giving her the beans on several occasions. I can confirm that the power wheelies on first are still long, low and thoroughly enjoyable!

·
Registered
243 Posts
A small follow-up. Having now more km's under my belt with upmap and 15 teeth sprocket, I think I can comment on the consumption. Range/economy with the Upmap installed is at least the same as stock bike. I think it could be actually slightly better. As previously said, overall the bike is smoother with the Termi pipe and allows cruising in lower RPM than the stock bike. I find myself running in sub 3000 revs most of my time when in constant speed, which wasn't possible before changing exhausts. Consumption really goes up with revs, so that is a huge benefit when the range or fuel economy considered. Obviously, if I really want to go to places now in the sport mode, range is reduced, but with relaxed touring speeds on country roads I am able to run about 300km's without a fill. That is pretty fine with me and suits my routes well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've emptied the tank 120km's / 75 miles as well.

On this bike it really depends how you drive it. Going long distances with the traffic I get 5,0 - 5,5 l/100km. Active use of throttle, higher cruising speed (140km/h / 80mph), or stop-and-go city traffic it is a litre or even more on top of that. On track it is 12l/100km or even more.

Cruise on even speeds at under 4000 rpm and she uses gasoline rather sparingly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So i just got this information from Upmap on their facebook page regarding the need to disconnect the lambda probe cables. They posted about the v4 streetfighter:

RIMOZIONE CONNETTORI DELLE SONDE LAMBDA
🔧

Dopo l'installazione della nostra mappatura dedicata sulla Ducati Streetfighter V4 è necessario scollegare i connettori delle sonde lambda per ottenere il massimo delle prestazioni .
Le sonde lambda se alimentate continuano a correggere la carburazione rendendo la carburazione imperfetta.
Scollegando i connettori delle sonde lambda la centralina leggerà i valori benzina nella tabella corretta sviluppata dal nostro mappatore.
Ringraziamo Francesco Salafia per il bellissimo video tutorial che è riuscito a editare.
UNPLUG THE LAMBDA SENSOR CONNECTORS
🔧

After installing our dedicated mapping on the Ducati Streetfighter V4, it's necessary to unplug the lambda sensor connectors to get best performance.
The lambda sensors, if powered, continue to correct the carburation and it's not good.
Unplugging the lambda sensor connectors, the ECU will read the fuel values in the correct table developed by our mapper.
Thanks Francesco Salafia for the beautiful video tutorial !!

I then asked them if the supersport with d181 and upmap benefited from the lambda senor cables being unplugged and they confirmed there is a performance and driveability increase in doing so. See the screenshot of our conversation and in the link below.

Untitssssled.png

·
Super Moderator
6,253 Posts
@Jamie Welcome! Do you own an SS that you are considering an Upmap?

·
Super Moderator
6,253 Posts
@Jamie You may have also seen post #51

Have you tried it both ways?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been using it approx 6 months and it feels better than stock. My exhaust has been changed to the ark..... not the under the seat model but just a 60mm can on a PQ header pipe. so how does it feel? you know flat spot around 3000 on steady partial throttle, it now run right through that flat spot, when warm. Cold I didn't like the upmap until someone on this board mentioned you have to be patient and let it warm up. DONT forget to order the cable because it does not come with it
Installation is kinda messy. Its competition is probably better, Rixer or even power commander, but I did not want to do any serious mods to the wiring and such. Just bought the bike in 2019 and still doesn't have 3000 on it. I have other bike that keep me busy too. as far a popping, this is the air injection sillyness. disable it with a couple of marbles. Another good tip from this board. Its much better than stock and im happy with the purchase

121 - 134 of 134 Posts