Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just did my yearly oil change and decided to send in a sample for testing. The results are back however there is nothing accompanying to tell you what numbers are good vs. bad. Help me make sense of it. The oil had about 6k miles on it over the year. These are the abbreviations Ag = Silver, Al = Aluminum, B = Boron, Ca = Calcium, Cr = Chromium, Cu = Copper, Fe = Iron, P = Phosphorus, K = Potassium, Li = Lithium, Mg = Magnesium, Mo = Molybdenum, Na = Sodium, Ni = Nickel, Pb = Lead, Si = Silicon, Sn = Tin,
S = Sulphur, V = Vanadium, Zn = Zinc, A = Antifreeze, F = Fuel, W = Water, P = Positive, N = Negative, T = Trace, E = Excessive, NIT = Nitration, OXI = Oxidation, ST = Soot, SUL = Sulfation, ISO = ISO Rating, PFC = Percent Fuel Content, PQI = Particle Quantifying index , NaW = Salt Water, FL Pt = Flash Point, TAN = Total Acid Number, TBN = Total Base Number, H2O = Karl Fisher result, V100 = [email protected], V40 = [email protected], PVI = Particle Volume Indicator

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Great idea...but thumbnail is not expanding... at least not on any of my Apple devices.

Would you please either upload or post a link to the full size pic...

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,612 Posts
The thumbnail isn't opening for me in Chrome on a Mac but I can right click on it and open the image in a new tab. I've had to do that with images on this forum quite often.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Copper 6, iron 47, chromium 1, aluminum 63, lead 15, tin 0, silicone 20, sodium 3, potassium 3, boron 65, molybdenum 5, nickel 1, silver 0, calcium 2615, magnesium 17, zink 1068, phosphorus 859, soot 0, oxidation 15, nitration 11, sulfation 20, water none, antifreeze none, fuel none, [email protected] 13.4. all those numbers are ppm

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Copper 6, iron 47, chromium 1, aluminum 63, lead 15, tin 0, silicone 20, sodium 3, potassium 3, boron 65, molybdenum 5, nickel 1, silver 0, calcium 2615, magnesium 17, zink 1068, phosphorus 859, soot 0, oxidation 15, nitration 11, sulfation 20, water none, antifreeze none, fuel none, [email protected] 13.4. all those numbers are ppm
Is that good?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The results say that the oil is normal and nothing to be worried about. the viscosity at 100°c is 13.4 and the oil is shell 15w-50. So that's lost some but that's to be expected it's got 6k miles on it. It's hard to find anything that says 47 iron is normal but 55 means bearing failure. I guess with anything it's more about seeing the trend it was only 13$ to have it tested and took less then a week. I went to Wagner equipment rental and got the kit which included a paid envelope.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
The results say that the oil is normal and nothing to be worried about. the viscosity at 100°c is 13.4 and the oil is shell 15w-50. So that's lost some but that's to be expected it's got 6k miles on it. It's hard to find anything that says 47 iron is normal but 55 means bearing failure. I guess with anything it's more about seeing the trend it was only 13$ to have it tested and took less then a week. I went to Wagner equipment rental and got the kit which included a paid envelope.

Is 13.4 comparable to the 15W?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Is 13.4 comparable to the 15W?
Yeah I think that's what it means

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) assigns a viscosity number, or weight, to oil based on its flow at 210 degrees F, which is roughly the standard operating temperature for most motors. 100°c = 212°f

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Yeah I think that's what it means

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) assigns a viscosity number, or weight, to oil based on its flow at 210 degrees F, which is roughly the standard operating temperature for most motors. 100°c = 212°f
Very interesting analysis, if your interpretation is correct that the oil lost some of its lubricating properties after 6,000 miles.

It would be interesting to send a sample of the same oil new, unused, for analysis for control comparison purposes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought of that as well I think I will end up doing that. I know some of the numbers like the calcium is a detergent additive in the oil. So even though it looks like a high number it's actually good. Zink and phosphorus help with anti wear coating.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Hi I just did my yearly oil change and decided to send in a sample for testing. The results are back however there is nothing accompanying to tell you what numbers are good vs. bad. Help me make sense of it. The oil had about 6k miles on it over the year. These are the abbreviations Ag = Silver, Al = Aluminum, B = Boron, Ca = Calcium, Cr = Chromium, Cu = Copper, Fe = Iron, P = Phosphorus, K = Potassium, Li = Lithium, Mg = Magnesium, Mo = Molybdenum, Na = Sodium, Ni = Nickel, Pb = Lead, Si = Silicon, Sn = Tin,
S = Sulphur, V = Vanadium, Zn = Zinc, A = Antifreeze, F = Fuel, W = Water, P = Positive, N = Negative, T = Trace, E = Excessive, NIT = Nitration, OXI = Oxidation, ST = Soot, SUL = Sulfation, ISO = ISO Rating, PFC = Percent Fuel Content, PQI = Particle Quantifying index , NaW = Salt Water, FL Pt = Flash Point, TAN = Total Acid Number, TBN = Total Base Number, H2O = Karl Fisher result, V100 = [email protected], V40 = [email protected], PVI = Particle Volume Indicator
unable to view the attachment you posted.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
unable to view the attachment you posted.
Have you had a chance to try what Derek suggested?

The thumbnail isn't opening for me in Chrome on a Mac but I can right click on it and open the image in a new tab. I've had to do that with images on this forum quite often.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Unbelievable, I thought I had heard it all... For F*cks sake dude just ride & enjoy the bike,
just do the regular oil changes, all the top brand fully synthetic oils with Ester technology are top notch, I use Motul 7100 15w-50

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unbelievable, I thought I had heard it all... For F*cks sake dude just ride & enjoy the bike,
just do the regular oil changes, all the top brand fully synthetic oils with Ester technology are top notch, I use Motul 7100 15w-50

Ohh I enjoy it alright. I also enjoy interesting things like data. Do you know what's in your motul?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
If I had access to oil testing at a reasonable price I'd do it too. Admittedly Ester in modern oils is a blessing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Why on earth do you have to be critical. He can do what he wants, if he wants to, and most of us enjoy the information. Just go back to your hole mate, no one cares that you are such a hero you just ride your bike and aren't interested. Why did you even post that?

·
Banned
33 Posts
Why on earth do you have to be critical. He can do what he wants, if he wants to, and most of us enjoy the information. Just go back to your hole mate, no one cares that you are such a hero [Matilda how did you know I was a hero ?] you just ride your bike and aren't interested. Why did you even post that?
PS.. Hero's don't live in holes they live in palaces...G'day....:x

1 - 20 of 39 Posts