Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
Oh man, know and miss riding those Northern California roads, too!

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Have you finally acquired the Panigalina.
No. While in the Middle East away from my bike and not riding, technical diving took over my life and fun money. I bought more kit — new Dive Rite technical regulators, an XDeep sidemount BCD and a Dive Xtras dive propulson vehicle - which gobbled up a lot of fun money. Now that I’m back in the US for a spell, a dedicated track bike is starting to come back onto the radar and I‘ve turned back on my Cycle Trader alerts. However, I’m probably just sniffing the 899/959 market since I’m scheduled to return to the Middle East in a few months when governments, public health services and airlines have the new normal under control. As soon as I get back, I’ll be in a Trimix and dry suit course in the UAE. The courses and getting a custom dry suit from Finland will be another chunk of change. Once I get done with those and FINALLY get back to the US for good, I’ll spring for an 899 or a 959.

So, if a track day were to pop up (which it won’t because we’re out of season down here in Florida), I’d just tape up the SS and ride it like I stole it.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
No. While in the Middle East away from my bike and not riding, technical diving took over my life and fun money. I bought more kit — new Dive Rite technical regulators, an XDeep sidemount BCD and a Dive Xtras dive propulson vehicle - which gobbled up a lot of fun money. Now that I’m back in the US for a spell, a dedicated track bike is starting to come back onto the radar and I‘ve turned back on my Cycle Trader alerts. However, I’m probably just sniffing the 899/959 market since I’m scheduled to return to the Middle East in a few months when governments, public health services and airlines have the new normal under control. As soon as I get back, I’ll be in a Trimix and dry suit course in the UAE. The courses and getting a custom dry suit from Finland will be another chunk of change. Once I get done with those and FINALLY get back to the US for good, I’ll spring for an 899 or a 959.

So, if a track day were to pop up (which it won’t because we’re out of season down here in Florida), I’d just tape up the SS and ride it like I stole it.
You may want to be careful, there's a shortage of oxygen for the ventilators, some might mug you under water and sell your tanks on the black market :D

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
Probably not at this time.

Others may disagree with me, but in my opinion, the whole East Coast of the USA is not open enough to safely exploit the power of a Street Fighter, or maybe even a V2. That doesn’t mean one still can’t rip and have a good time on the SS on the East Coast, just not to the extent as on a Street Fighter or other high powered bikes.

On the other hand, imo, in the Western USA, the Street Fighter, the Panigale V4 or V2 would be in their element and an absolute blast fully exploit their power bands safely.

And, I would almost asssuredly also have a more powerful bike, and most likely keep the SS. There’s a reason most all the USA high performance bike mag road tests are done out West. But I can’t see buying a powerful bike and not being able to properly and safely ring its neck out! To me, it makes no sense at all to have a bike and not be able to use its full potential! Just plain wasteful.

But! I still want to demo ride a Street Fighter! Most interested to see how the torque curve feels in the middle range through upper rev range. As riding a bike can be so different from what the specs imply.

For example, looking at the V2 specs, gearing, torque curve, etc, it would seem to be a dog compared to the SS at lower revs. I didn’t find that when riding it. It’s a lovely engine that would be a nice match in the SS, at least for me. I didn’t miss what the specs showed missing at the lower rev end on the V2, but enjoyed the extra power up top. But again, there really aren’t places to fully exploit even the V2 on the East Coast, imo. I considered getting one, and it almost tipped me over, for the reasons above about this region, didn’t get a V2. It is a really nice bike, though.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Probably not at this time.

Others may disagree with me, but in my opinion, the whole East Coast of the USA is not open enough to safely exploit the power of a Street Fighter, or maybe even a V2. That doesn’t mean one still can’t rip and have a good time on the SS on the East Coast, just not to the extent as on a Street Fighter or other high powered bikes.

On the other hand, imo, in the Western USA, the Street Fighter, the Panigale V4 or V2 would be in their element and an absolute blast fully exploit their power bands safely.

And, I would almost asssuredly also have a more powerful bike, and most likely keep the SS. There’s a reason most all the USA high performance bike mag road tests are done out West. But I can’t see buying a powerful bike and not being able to properly and safely ring its neck out! To me, it makes no sense at all to have a bike and not be able to use its full potential! Just plain wasteful.

But! I still want to demo ride a Street Fighter! Most interested to see how the torque curve feels in the middle range through upper rev range. As riding a bike can be so different from what the specs imply.

For example, looking at the V2 specs, gearing, torque curve, etc, it would seem to be a dog compared to the SS at lower revs. I didn’t find that when riding it. It’s a lovely engine that would be a nice match in the SS, at least for me. I didn’t miss what the specs showed missing at the lower rev end on the V2, but enjoyed the extra power up top. But again, there really aren’t places to fully exploit even the V2 on the East Coast, imo. I considered getting one, and it almost tipped me over, for the reasons above about this region, didn’t get a V2. It is a really nice bike, though.
TBH the SS handling is just right for my willingness to take risks. But that SF, phwoar, I love it, question though is how much the global depression will hit my 3rd world. Need to be sensible about things. Sh!t times ahead and must take a calculated view on matters.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
TBH the SS handling is just right for my willingness to take risks. But that SF, phwoar, I love it, question though is how much the global depression will hit my 3rd world. Need to be sensible about things. Sh!t times ahead and must take a calculated view on matters.
Good point, also interested to see how SF handles... about the same weight as the SS, if I’m recalling correctly. And about the world economy; hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think V or even U, maybe W or an extended L more likely, imo.

·
Registered
299 Posts
After the first test in March, canceled due to Covid, yesterday I finally tried the Streetfighter V4 S! :p
Test done with my wife behind, my use is 90% with her.
The riding position is high, on the SuperSport I touch my feet on the ground, here only the tips. Footpegs appear slightly lower, possibly due to the riding position. The arms are close to the torso as on the SS but the handlebar is wider and there is less load on the wrists. The bike is very slim, like the twin. The passenger is positioned higher, the legs are more closed but not uncomfortable. Saddle a little hard.
The gearbox is softer and more precise, even the DQS. Up to 8,000 the engine is very fluid and linear, it doesn't jump like the twin. Then it becomes a missile! The wind on head and shoulders is acceptable, the Monster is worse. The heat is lower than the SS, especially in traffic. Mirrors don't vibrate! The front wheel and steering are more stable and it is very fast to hit the apex.
So ... trade in my SuperSport. The rest, a gift from my wife! My Streetfighter V4 S is expected to arrive by the end of June :cool:

121 - 140 of 141 Posts