Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do your bikes have this same noise? It is starting to bug me a bit and I don't think it has always been like this. Happens at 3k rpms.

In the video those RPMs are 3-10 seconds, then I turn around, and again and most prominent at 20-33 sec. It sounds like I have a little, Irish leprechaun pumping a foot pedal sewing machine at 300 rpms :| Turn your volume up!

·
Registered
316 Posts
How many kms have you done? Has it had it's first oil change?

·
Registered
5 Posts
To be honest mine sounds similar. I talked to the shop guys about it when they did my first service last week and they said that most people who get their first Duc notice the valve chatter.. The desmo valves are a lot noisier than "standard" valves due to the nature of the way they operate. This put my mind at ease and now I barely notice it anymore, when I do I just remind my self that its part of the "charm" of having a demo engine and it makes me smile a little bit.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest mine sounds similar. I talked to the shop guys about it when they did my first service last week and they said that most people who get their first Duc notice the valve chatter.. The desmo valves are a lot noisier than "standard" valves due to the nature of the way they operate. This put my mind at ease and now I barely notice it anymore, when I do I just remind my self that its part of the "charm" of having a demo engine and it makes me smile a little bit.
thanks brother. And yes, this is my first desmo :)

I am just trying to decide if I need to trailer it and haul it 230 miles to the dealer to get it checked out....or if everyone's sounds like this

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK....still trying to figure out if the rest of you have this too?? it seems I have a "kind of" and "probably" and some other "not really" votes?? :)

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
As the engine warms up it is quit normal for rockers to make that noise. The clearance should be 1mm at free movement on all four valves.

·
Registered
349 Posts
As the engine warms up it is quit normal for rockers to make that noise. The clearance should be 1mm at free movement on all four valves.
Huh? Are saying that is what the valve clearances are? If so, better check again. If not, guess I am not understanding your message.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Huh? Are saying that is what the valve clearances are? If so, better check again. If not, guess I am not understanding your message.
Mis-written, you seem stressed..hahaha

Valve clearances onHyper 939 SP
Opening rocker arm - intake
0.13 to 0.18 mm
0.10 to 0.25 mm
Opening rocker arm - exhaust
0.13 to 0.18 mm
0.10 to 0.25 mm
Closing rocker arm - intake
0.05 to 0.10 mm
0.05 to 0.15 mm
Closing rocker arm - exhaust
0.05 to 0.10 mm
0.05 to 0.15 mm

Valve clearances onmonster 821
Opening rocker arm - intake
0.13 to 0.18 mm
0.10 to 0.25 mm
Opening rocker arm - exhaust
0.13 to 0.18 mm
0.10 to 0.25 mm
Closing rocker arm - intake
0.05 to 0.10 mm
0.05 to 0.15 mm
Closing rocker arm - exhaust
0.05 to 0.10 mm
0.05 to 0.15 mm

·
Registered
349 Posts
Mis-written, you seem stressed..hahaha
Figured your keyboard was malfunctioning. :wink2:

Instead of buying shim kits ($$$) I use this service because he only charges for shims used.

Welcome

He also provides free instructions for 2v and 4v motors. I also use Lt. Snyder's Ducati Desmoquattro Maintenance & Modification Guide. My copy is from 2012, so I verify specifications.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Figured your keyboard was malfunctioning. :wink2:

Instead of buying shim kits ($$$) I use this service because he only charges for shims used.

Welcome

He also provides free instructions for 2v and 4v motors. I also use Lt. Snyder's Ducati Desmoquattro Maintenance & Modification Guide. My copy is from 2012, so I verify specifications.
Nice find.
I see in the SS parts list there are many pages of shims, it doesn't seem complicated but only once the measurement is done can we know which shims to buy. I guess it's an open up, take measurements, close up, and take a few rides while waiting for the shims to arrive :surprise:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Nice find.
I see in the SS parts list there are many pages of shims, it doesn't seem complicated but only once the measurement is done can we know which shims to buy. I guess it's an open up, take measurements, close up, and take a few rides while waiting for the shims to arrive :surprise:
It's usually a full day for a home mechanic if they have the shims on hand, or have a dealer close by that they can get shims from, especially on the newer bikes that require darned near full disassembly to get to the valves. This is why people buy full shim kits, or use the shim/tool rental service.

Open it up, measure, swap shims, measure, curse yourself for measuring wrong, swap shims, measure, then repeat 7 more times, close it up and ride it. Keep your old shims, you may re-use them, the thicker shims can be lapped down to a thinner spec, or on the tool service I think you may get credit for returning your used shims.

Reactions: amoslws

·
Registered
127 Posts
Do your bikes have this same noise? It is starting to bug me a bit and I don't think it has always been like this. Happens at 3k rpms.

In the video those RPMs are 3-10 seconds, then I turn around, and again and most prominent at 20-33 sec. It sounds like I have a little, Irish leprechaun pumping a foot pedal sewing machine at 300 rpms :| Turn your volume up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IybIwx5Ymm8&feature=youtu.be
LOL - its definitely not you, and I felt exactly the same when when I first got mine! I just surpassed the first service point and I'm just nearing 1000 miles now, and it is slowly is starting to sound a tad smoother.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been considering buying a SSS and took one for a test ride..my immediate reaction when pulling off was "crikey this bike sounds like a bag of nails"- it was rattly, clunky, tappy and generaly sounded like it was an old beaten up bike. It actually put me off buying one.

I am coming from a Honda IL4 so can only assume it's because it's a twin. But I don't understand why a modern bike has to sound like this?

Its probably something you get used to, but it's certainly my put me off. I love everything else about the bike (except the price tag being so close to a Panigale)

My test ride was a few months ago now so I may take one out again next week when I'm on holiday and have a second opinion.

I really want to like this bike, but find it hard to see passed the fact it sounds like it's falling apart.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have been considering buying a SSS and took one for a test ride..my immediate reaction when pulling off was "crikey this bike sounds like a bag of nails"- it was rattly, clunky, tappy and generaly sounded like it was an old beaten up bike. It actually put me off buying one.

I am coming from a Honda IL4 so can only assume it's because it's a twin. But I don't understand why a modern bike has to sound like this?

Its probably something you get used to, but it's certainly my put me off. I love everything else about the bike (except the price tag being so close to a Panigale)

My test ride was a few months ago now so I may take one out again next week when I'm on holiday and have a second opinion.

I really want to like this bike, but find it hard to see passed the fact it sounds like it's falling apart.
To be honest, the engine isn't that modern. It's been in use in one form or another for over 30 years. The first water cooled version was in the 851 that Ducati entered into AMA Superbike in 1988 and the Testestretta head was introduced in 2001. Also consider that it has a completely different valve system than your Honda, thus it's not likely to sound the same. That said, I find it to have more "valve clatter" than my older air-cooled Ducati 2-valve motor, but maybe that's because it has twice as many valves, or maybe it's because the 2V motor has more run in on it.

Once I put the Akra exhaust on, all the valve noise is no longer audible. ;) Come to think of it, maybe the Termignoni exhaust on the 2V bike is hiding the valve noise there as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts