Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some chap in this forum posted a link to the US/Canada Ducati site where you can download the operating manual (mostly the dash operation) and the parts catalogue, big thanks to the guy because I have read all 500+ pages.
Anyway in one of the booklets it indicates that Ducati SS 2017 made in Italy have a "-B-" in the VIN number, and their Thailand factory has "-T-" in the number.
I am interested to know which countries are getting the "T's". I have contacted the main dealer in south africa, where I live, and their response was, all orders from SA are manufactured in Italy.

Does anyone have "T's" out there.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
As far as I know, only certain model Ducati's are assembled in Thailand, most notably the Scrambler line and perhaps the new Monster 797. I believe the VIN scheme you're referring to on pages 20 & 21 of the owners manual are generic 'across the model line' statements included in every new Ducati owners manual.
I'll certainly focus on the VIN tag on the Supersport S I'll be test riding one week from today to see if the plant of manufacture lists 'B' or 'T'.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Agree with Ventura, but have to wonder why any concern if a bike is manufactured in Italy or Thailand. Both Ducati factories would be operating to exactly the same standards.

And, if a SE Asia produced bike worries anyone, they need to consider how many parts on Ducatis already come from that part of the world, and I not speaking strictly of electrical bits.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There's more to buying a ducati than only the mechanical properties and operational standards. The italians are highly passionate and patriotic towards their brands, and that is what you are paying for too when you buy a ducati. I doubt an asian factory carries the same values. To them it is simply a job. I personally want an italian branded, italian designed, italian built, all wrapped up with the italian passion. For the others, you are welcome to the "made in asia label".
Another point is how will it carry its legend. If in 30 years time a T vin and a B vin are next to eachother, I will take the B vin bike.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
When I was at the factory (sounds good?), they mentioned they have two factories outside of Italy. The one in Thailand produces bikes for their Asian markets because of import tariffs. I don't think those factories produce the whole range. They are currently stated as assembly plants.

So we should all get bikes made in Italy.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Steeve, lucky you, I would really like to have a tour of the factory and museum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts