Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 SuperSport 950S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are Warped front rotors a common problem on these bikes?? Mine are on this bike with 5,500 miles on the clock.
I tried the deglazing with brake clean and green scotch-brite but they are still pulsing and shaking the front end badly. I also flat sanded the pads at the same time, seemed a tad better but clearly unacceptable. May try another coarser grit on the rotors.
If I need to get new rotors to resolve the problem what are your recommendations??
I planned on replacing the pads anyway with a better pad for Track Days.

·
Administrator
10,010 Posts
@Swamper Not very common, but has been noted sometimes and can be found using Forum “Search” function.

Might be a bit of a myth, but after I come to a stop at a light, for example, I release the brake to let it cool and prevent hot spots…and I haven’t had any issues.

·
Premium Member
2021 SuperSport 950S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've searched and came up with a couple of post about the warping. Seems like a few answersare common from deglaze the pads and rotors, lube the caliper pistons as maintenance to a Ducati problem with 4.5 thickness rotors which replacements are 5.5 now. So this bike I bought used and have only ridden it about 200 miles. I'm going to call the dealer I bought it from but hold little hope they will do anything about it. I surely have to resolve the problem as it upsets the suspension during hard braking.
One post said to buy Galfer Wave rotors. Galfer doesn't show they make anything for Ducati's on their website..

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
You mentioned that sanding the pads helped? Could it be defective pads? Nothing more to add since the brakes on my bike are really good.

Just curious, what setting is your abs?

·
Premium Member
2021 SuperSport 950S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ABS is set at #2 and in the sport mode. If the ABS kicks in doesn't something light up on the dash????
I guess I should turn the ABS off and ride it once to make sure but it really doesn't feel like my ABS on the BMW's when it kicks in.

·
Registered
359 Posts
FWIW mine have always pulsated a little since I bought it used with ~4k miles. I'll have the indy evaluate it when I stop procrastinating and get it in for service. I see yours is severe enough to upset the handling; I don't think mine are as bad (or I don't ride fast enough to notice, which is a definite possibility.) Interested to see how you work this out... :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have had 3 Ducaties and all of them have some kind of uneven brake force with the front brakes under light braking.
I think it's the uneven deposit of the pad material on the rotor.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My rotors warped very quickly on my 939, I am a light rider and easy on the brakes so not sure what caused it. Never managed to get it sorted on the warranty so just put up with it.

I have the same brakes on my V2 but none of the same problems which is odd.

Matt

·
Registered
250 Posts
Are Warped front rotors a common problem on these bikes?? Mine are on this bike with 5,500 miles on the clock.
I tried the deglazing with brake clean and green scotch-brite but they are still pulsing and shaking the front end badly. I also flat sanded the pads at the same time, seemed a tad better but clearly unacceptable. May try another coarser grit on the rotors.
If I need to get new rotors to resolve the problem what are your recommendations??
I planned on replacing the pads anyway with a better pad for Track Days.
My 2017's front rotors warped pretty bad. The previous owned had spent a lot of time in stop and go traffic I think. When I got it I deglazed them but as soon as they got hot they started feeling warped again. I replaced them with EBC rotors and it made a huge difference.
When I upgraded to the 2022 model at the first tire change I put my EBC rotors on, even though the OEM rotors hadn't warped.

·
Premium Member
2021 SuperSport 950S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lazy Eye:
I'm looking at the EBC rotors for replacement. Sounds like you really like them and recommend them. Did you get the regular round profile or the Contoured type? I think X For standard round and XC for contoured. Who did you get your from and do you have a part number for the ones you bought?
I've looked at the EBC website and it looks like they have the wrong part number from what I can sort out. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had 3 Ducaties and all of them have some kind of uneven brake force with the front brakes under light braking. I think it's the uneven deposit of the pad material on the rotor.
Same experience here. I just eliminated significant judder at high and low speed on my Multistrada (different bike, same brakes, IME) by replacing the stock pads with HH Sintered Galfer pads. (I'm sure EBC, or any other brand of higher heat, higher torque, fully metallic pads would have worked.)

I cleaned the rotors well with scotchbrite and brake cleaner to remove any loose pad material, then swapped in the new pads and gently bedded them in at low temps in an attempt to deglaze any pad deposits from the OE pads. After just a couple miles of riding, all at-speed shudder from the front wheel had been eliminated, and after a gentle ride, all shudder is gone except a slight grabbiness at VERY low (sub 5 mph) speed when coming to a stop.

Easy swap-out, WAY cheaper than the stock Brembo OE pads, and brought my braking back to smooth and powerful!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Same experience here. I just eliminated significant judder at high and low speed on my Multistrada (different bike, same brakes, IME) by replacing the stock pads with HH Sintered Galfer pads. (I'm sure EBC, or any other brand of higher heat, higher torque, fully metallic pads would have worked.)

I cleaned the rotors well with scotchbrite and brake cleaner to remove any loose pad material, then swapped in the new pads and gently bedded them in at low temps in an attempt to deglaze any pad deposits from the OE pads. After just a couple miles of riding, all at-speed shudder from the front wheel had been eliminated, and after a gentle ride, all shudder is gone except a slight grabbiness at VERY low (sub 5 mph) speed when coming to a stop.

Easy swap-out, WAY cheaper than the stock Brembo OE pads, and brought my braking back to smooth and powerful!
Metallic pads will work because they wear the rotors down. It's like sanding your rotors when you brake.
Factory organic pads are less hard on the rotors but will create uneven deposits on the rotor to cause pulsation issue.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts

We need a brake pad review regarding HH pads vs the softer OEM pads. I have EBC HH pads on all my bikes but the Duc. OTOH, the Duc has the best brakes of all. So I'm unsure what pads to replace them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Metallic pads will work because they wear the rotors down. It's like sanding your rotors when you brake.
Factory organic pads are less hard on the rotors but will create uneven deposits on the rotor to cause pulsation issue.
Indeed, though I have put many 10s of thousands of miles on bikes with metallic HH pads, and I have never ever replaced a worn-out rotor on any one of them. So while they do wear stainless rotors faster than organic pads, it's still a very slow wear IME.

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
345 Posts
You sure that the stock brembo pads are organic and not sintered?
If so, I'll probably throw them out next spring, regardless of the wear.

·
Administrator
10,010 Posts
@Spoons Very glad to see you joined us a while ago, and hope the Forum has been helpful!

Since it appears you’ve only had a couple of recent posts, you might consider (re?)introducing yourself (e.g. current and past bikes, riding experience, etc) in the New Member section.

·
Premium Member
2021 SuperSport 950S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The pads from the factory are FF so most likely organic.
I'm going to try a set of these pads I just ordered.
EBC EPFA630HH, 2 sets $120.
They are the EBC track day pad. I'm going to clean up/ deglaze the rotors on the bike and try them to see if it alleviates the problem. If it doesn't I plan to order a set of new EBC rotors, MD841X or MD841XC. Just not sure if I want the contour type of rotor, they are the same price, $200 each.
I think the Aprilia Hal test rode at the Ridge last month had the same brake set-up and they worked well.
Helmet Tire Wheel Motorcycle helmet Grand prix motorcycle racing

·
Registered
217 Posts
One rotor on my Triumph warped pretty quickly. Easiest way to check if it's warped or deposits is a run-out gauge. They're not terribly expensive and useful for anything round you want to measure. The guage can also be used for other things. Bought OEM rotors from a crashed bike, checked them and replaced the one bad one. No issues for the 7k miles before I sold it. Amazon.com : runout gauge

·
Premium Member
2021 SuperSport 950S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've got a guage over at my sons house, won't be able to get it until next week. I'll check them when I install the new pads, that's if they check OK.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts