Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
All that time around explosives and then you get hurt playing squash. That's the classic military service story, ain't it?
It's Sods Law. 22 years in the Army, served in the first Gulf War, two Tours in Bosnia, hit a mine whilst in a vehicle and came out without a scratch, the guy sitting next to me lost his eye but it could have been a whole lot worse; we were the luckiest people on the planet that day.
And then mess myself up playing Squash against the good lady. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
All that time around explosives and then you get hurt playing squash. That's the classic military service story, ain't it?

Reminds me of a mate of mine who commanded twice - a combat dive detachment commander and then a high-altitude, low-opening detachment commander. That's a rare accomplishment and a very small population inside an already small slice of the total force. As you might imagine, James was a pretty fit, confident and resilient guy. He had his detachment medic and his team (11 guys total) perform his vasectomy as a team-building event while on deployment in the African bush.

One day he was picking up his 6 month old daughter and, like being struck by lightning, fell to the ground having somehow tweaked his back requiring urgent surgery to correct. He was baffled and embarrassed for a few days about how he could have accomplished some of our toughest military courses and then get injured picking up his little baby girl.

Anyways, squash gotcha and the bad guys didn't...familiar story for many. I hope you're able to get back to 100% or as close as possible and that you find some low-impact, high-yield conditioning activities that you can pursue into your golden years. I am in awe of some of your elderly indoor rowers over there in the UK that are knocking down 5 million meters in a year.
He had his detachment medic and his team (11 guys total) perform his vasectomy as a team-building event while on deployment in the African bush. WTF o_O

61 - 64 of 64 Posts