Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1481 - 1500 of 1537 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Whenever I remove the rear wheel, I avoid putting it into gear and use the rear brake. Someone here said that I could damage the transmission.

Also, for the stock exhaust, only the bottom muffler has to be removed.

Overall, if you have an impact gun, the right socket and rear stand, it's quite a bit easier that a traditional wheel removal when the axle comes out and the chain needs to be restrung and adjusted.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Whenever I remove the rear wheel, I avoid putting it into gear and use the rear brake. Someone here said that I could damage the transmission.

Also, for the stock exhaust, only the bottom muffler has to be removed.

Overall, if you have an impact gun, the right socket and rear stand, it's quite a bit easier that a traditional wheel removal when the axle comes out and the chain needs to be restrung and
Understand about only having to remove the bottom exhaust on the stock set up. The SC Projects Twin CR-T is two exhausts linked togther, so they both come off together.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Finally hit me too. After one heavy rain I got "engine" icon [MIL]. The exhaust valves. In the service they said the cable from it is unplagged/broken. And the valves were closed all the time. Since around 1 month I kept in mind to clear them and never did, arghhhhghgh! They set them open and the error vanished. Anyway I ordered the new cable - not terribly expensive [from Holland 10 days delivery]. I know we have only 110 HP but I really felt strange lag on Sport mode... maybe because of the valves?
One thing for sure: I'm going to buy the service cable and the OBD2 bluetooth unit. I could check it on my own and maybe repair.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Took the bike out for a ride today. Got home and did a once over. I noticed the chain looked a bit droopy. Tape measure said it was 1 1/2 in. Adjusted it to 1 3/8. Chain was very clean, gave it a coat of gear oil. Great stuff. I'll never go back to chain lube.

Cleaned the tupperware, engine, frame, hoses, kick stand, wheels and calipers with WD40, Awesome Cleaner and Polish.

Checked the oil. It was down to the half way circle. Added about 1/4 liter (one funnel bowl). Topped up. This is first add for about 2750 miles from the last change to Motul 5100 blend. I am guessing top to bottom on the glass equates to half liter.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Refitted the rear wheel after getting the puncture plugged in my brand new 50 mile old rear tyre.

Reactions: Grossi.BP

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
3 day trip with friends

Definitely I won't have osteoporosis in hands - from vibrations my bones are forced to harden so much. I'd say with thicker gloves it would be "normal". Of course on Multistrada 950s it's more comfortable, but MS is everywhere, SSS not.

·
Registered
Supersport S -18
9 Posts
Not today, but yesterday:
Mounted Grip Puppies and a 15 mm Handlebar spacer.
Connected home made Ctek charger adapter.
Discovered a (hopefully not lethal) dent at the end of the rear shock reservoir. It seems like it´s not clear from the pannier mounting linkage :-(

·
Registered
42 Posts
Reached the 1,200km mark and the service light came on...phoned the dealer, emailed the dealer and submitting an online service request, but no response. Either they are extremely busy b/c of the shutdown or they are done, neither of those option helps me to get the first service done. I ordered the filter and oil online from a dealership that's about 350km's from me, since they're actually responding to requests, and did the first oil change at home. I would typically do the service myself, but was planning to take this one to the dealership for the first one at least. I guess I'll just have to bring it in when (if) they eventually open and have them log when the oil change was done and reset the service light.
Figured I would post an update to this original posting from a month ago. I finally got through to the dealership, sounds like they've been extremely busy with COVID service requests and on top of that had a major revamp of their service department in the last number of weeks. They were very apologetic for not getting back to my requests and the service manager said as long as I kept the receipt for the oil and filter (for warranty purposes) they would clear the service light on the dash whenever I wanted to stop by...should only take 10 mins.

I went over this afternoon and after a quick chat with the service manager he said someone would be out shortly to clear the code. About 5 mins later the mechanic came out and said "sorry, but for warranty purposes I can't just reset the service light...there's a bunch of software updates and we'll need to make sure we register the first service so I'll need to look at everything". Crap, sounds like I'm going to pay for that first service regardless, but at least its finally getting done and registered. Before I could even say anything he said "obviously this was our fault for not getting you in when you originally requested, I'll do the service right now while you wait and we'll cover the cost and make sure the service has been registered for warranty purposes". :)

Just wanted to post this good news, I think most of us (me included) tend to assume the worst from dealerships, but my experience today was fantastic. In addition to doing this without an appointment and at their cost, the mechanic came to find me midway through the work and said "hey, I noticed the clip-ons you installed - want me to raise the forks a bit in the triple clamp and adjust the steering stops so you don't risk hitting the fairing at full lock?" Always good when you get someone who's interested in what they're working on!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
piper- that first service deal is baked in the cake. It doesn't matter which brand you buy. It was frankly one of the reasons I wanted a used bike. No first service, break in period or initial recalls.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Took the bike for a 3 year service and MOT. Nice 1 hour and 15 minute ride to the Dealers along the scenic twisty route. Dropped the bike off and went out on a Triumph Street Triple RS Demo bike whilst mine was being serviced.
Met up with Mr Ex at the Dealers so we both went for a ride; beautiful paint job on his bike (y) Good to put a face to a name Mr Ex and meet someone from the forum.

I part exchanged my Street Triple R 675 for the Supersport S, so going out on the 765 RS was like meeting an old friend. Biggest thing I noticed as soon as I was on the Triumph were the mirrors! You can actually see behind you and they don't vibrate 😯 Engine was really good, super smooth and a very slick gearbox; quickshifter better than the Supersport. Brakes seemed to have more initial bite as well.

Came back from the ride with Mr Ex and was spanked for £247 ($324) for a minor service (filter and oil) and an MOT: can't wait to have a major service :cautious:

I'm assuming that the States have something similar to the UK's MOT Test? An MOT is an annual test of vehicle safety, road worthiness and exhaust emissions for vehicles over 3 years old.

Reactions: Grossi.BP

·
Registered
829 Posts
Came back from the ride with Mr Ex and was spanked for £247 ($324) for a minor service (filter and oil) and an MOT: can't wait to have a major service :cautious:

I'm assuming that the States have something similar to the UK's MOT Test? An MOT is an annual test of vehicle safety, road worthiness and exhaust emissions for vehicles over 3 years old.
It depends on where you live and where the motorcycle is registered.

I live in Portland, Oregon, a very liberal region of a pretty conservative state. If the vehicle is registered to an address in the Portland metro area our automobiles are free to drive for the first three years off the dealership lot, then required to undergo an annual emissions check during an annual registration cycle. This is conducted at a government operated facility. There is no safety inspection. Motorcycles have the same 3 year exemption for registration, but never need to undergo safety or emissions inspections for their lifetime.

I used to live in Pennsylvania. They required an annual emissions and safety inspection for every vehicle. These inspections happen at registered service shops and stations. Owners often register as a money-maker, you pay them $150 for the inspection, then get to pay them to repair any issues they find, or you don't get registered. If you leave and come back with the repair completed, they charge you another $150 for a new inspection. You can sometimes find a friendly private operator who will "help" you pass because they are motorcyclists (or libertarians) themselves; people will drive from hours away to find these guys.

Because the laws are so drastically different from area to area, this is often a consideration when moving. Which vehicles will I no longer be able to own or register? Also, will my guns still be legal?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
We have no mandatory inspections in Okla. Never mind the car has no fenders and transparent colored tape is covering the signal lights. Sometimes I wonder why I need plates on my 4 bikes, when I could buy only plate and move it around?

·
Registered
374 Posts
@psyopper and LowRyter interesting.

In the UK, the MOT has to be carried out at a government body Testing Centre; the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)

The penalty for driving without an MOT is a fine up to £1,000 ($1312). If you drive a vehicle deemed 'dangerous' by an MOT test, you can be fined up to £2,500 ($3280), be banned from driving and receive 3 penalty points on your Driving License.

In addition if you don't have a valid MOT, your insurance is invalid.

It would seem that in the UK, we are more tough on the road worthiness of a vehicle than the States. I know Germany's equivalent of the MOT, the TUV, is tougher than the UK's MOT.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Heck Trip, In the USA, ride your Harley with open pipes, carry a 9mm on your hip, no helmet, no health insurance, vest and finger-less gloves. Some call it freedom. Others see a disaster waiting to happen.

So far, I can only remember a few biker firefights in recent years and only one massacre (and that was carried out by the Waco cops at Twin Peaks Breastaurant). Life imitates art.

And us guys in the racin' suits on crotch rockets are the nuts. ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Had my annual maintenance at the local Ducati shop. Set me back app. 300 $ including oil and filter etc. Had apparently lost two screws from the fairing which they replaced. I'm two years into the bike now so according to schedule brake fluid change was due. However, the tech servicing the bike recommended to save the money and wait another year.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Had my annual maintenance at the local Ducati shop. Set me back app. 300 $ including oil and filter etc. Had apparently lost two screws from the fairing which they replaced. I'm two years into the bike now so according to schedule brake fluid change was due. However, the tech servicing the bike recommended to save the money and wait another year.
2 years old and it needs a brake fluid change?
Based on you paying $300 for an annual service and my service the equivalent of $324 which inluded an MOT, the prices are much the same in the States as they are in the UK.

1481 - 1500 of 1537 Posts