Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ha e a a 2019 SuperSportS and wanting to change oil. Currently, Shell advance ultra 15w50 is being used but I would like to change to Motul oil but not sure if I should used the 300 or 700. Thoughts/ recommendations…
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
333 Posts
You can use any comparable oil. That is any and all 15w-50 fully synthetic oils that meet the same API SN and JASO MA2 requirements. I can't really comment on the specific Motul oils (Motul 700 is a brake fluid over here), but reading the specs should guide you to the right direction.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Oh good. Another internet forum oil discussion.

See this thread for the answer:

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I ha e a a 2019 SuperSportS and wanting to change oil. Currently, Shell advance ultra 15w50 is being used but I would like to change to Motul oil but not sure if I should used the 300 or 700. Thoughts/ recommendations…
Thanks in advance
I wouldn't use the 300, it's racing oil and according to Motul should not be mixed with non synth or different weights. This might be a problem when traveling and the rider needs to top off the oil but can't find a suitable oil. The Motul 5100 (blend) or 7100 (full synth) can be mixed with other types of oil. Being a tightwad and like to change oil at 5k miles (rather than 9k) I use the 5100; however, with Desmo service the tech used Agip.

Since you asked, I make no recommendations but just wanted to mention some caution regarding the 300 racing oil if you happen to need to top off your oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't use the 300, it's racing oil and according to Motul should not be mixed with non synth or different weights. This might be a problem when traveling and the rider needs to top off the oil but can't find a suitable oil. The Motul 5100 (blend) or 7100 (full synth) can be mixed with other types of oil. Being a tightwad and like to change oil at 5k miles (rather than 9k) I use the 5100; however, with Desmo service the tech used Agip.

Since you asked, I make no recommendations but just wanted to mention some caution regarding the 300 racing oil if you happen to need to top off your oil.
Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I never worried about brand much. Any full synthetic of the correct weight, changed about every 6K, or about twice a year.
That got my first Ducati to 265K miles without an engine rebuild*, so I'd say that's probably a decent plan.

*I replaced the piston rings at 122K, and was about to do that again at 265K, but we got smashed by a hit-and-run driver first. Otherwise I'd be over 300K on that bike by now. The bottom end and transmission on the bike had never been opened since it was built. It was a 1993 M900 Monster, bought new, and ridden daily for 24 years.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I run the Motul 5100. I've thought about going up to the 7100, but my bike has never used oil or had false neutral issues etc, so I've taken the approach of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Also I've run 5100 in my previous two bikes with no issues whatsoever. I only do about 5- 6000 km's a year, so I'm not running the oil for anywhere near it's maximum km's.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I never worried about brand much. Any full synthetic of the correct weight, changed about every 6K, or about twice a year.
That got my first Ducati to 265K miles without an engine rebuild*, so I'd say that's probably a decent plan.

*I replaced the piston rings at 122K, and was about to do that again at 265K, but we got smashed by a hit-and-run driver first. Otherwise I'd be over 300K on that bike by now. The bottom end and transmission on the bike had never been opened since it was built. It was a 1993 M900 Monster, bought new, and ridden daily for 24 years.
Wow that's a lot of miles / riding

·
Registered
2018 Ducati SSS Red
48 Posts

Respect for so many miles crunched!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Respect for so many miles crunched!!
Thanks. It wasn't "crunching miles", though; that sounds like I wasn't having fun. It was a great bike, and I used it as my main transportation for 24 years -- most of that time I did not own a car at all. I rode it to 35 states, plus parts of Canada and Mexico. I did the maintenance more-or-less on schedule, and used full synthetic oil, and fixed it with quality bits if/when it broke, which was pretty rare. Usually OEM, but sometimes an upgrade, for example when the original rear shock blew out at 170K miles (hit a pothole right away starting out on a 36F degree morning), I replaced it with an Ohlins.

I think the best thing I did for it was to keep riding it, and never let it sit and rot. Disuse kills more machines than over-use. When I lived in SoCal, ridingseason was all the time. After I moved to New Hampshire, I had to store it for 3 or 4 months a year, but got it back out as soon as we started seeing days above freezing. With heated gloves I could ride an hour at 20F without much discomfort. The poor thing looked like hell, but ran great, and it was my intent to keep riding it until it died a natural death.

PhilB

·
Registered
2018 Ducati SSS Red
48 Posts
Thanks. It wasn't "crunching miles", though; that sounds like I wasn't having fun. It was a great bike, and I used it as my main transportation for 24 years -- most of that time I did not own a car at all. I rode it to 35 states, plus parts of Canada and Mexico. I did the maintenance more-or-less on schedule, and used full synthetic oil, and fixed it with quality bits if/when it broke, which was pretty rare. Usually OEM, but sometimes an upgrade, for example when the original rear shock blew out at 170K miles (hit a pothole right away starting out on a 36F degree morning), I replaced it with an Ohlins.

I think the best thing I did for it was to keep riding it, and never let it sit and rot. Disuse kills more machines than over-use. When I lived in SoCal, ridingseason was all the time. After I moved to New Hampshire, I had to store it for 3 or 4 months a year, but got it back out as soon as we started seeing days above freezing. With heated gloves I could ride an hour at 20F without much discomfort. The poor thing looked like hell, but ran great, and it was my intent to keep riding it until it died a natural death.

PhilB
That is really awesome Phil! I am sure it was fun all along. I totally agree on "Disuse kills more machines than over-use". Machines are made for us to use and enjoy :)

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Thanks in advance
The 300V Motul requires changing around 2000-3000 miles. Take it from there

·
Registered
174 Posts
I ran 300V for 6k miles and did an oil analysis. The viscosity had gotten a little below spec, so should be fine to run it ~4k miles. I switched to 7100T because it's cheaper, though. But the viscosity of that was a little low at a ~2700 mile change interval, but that was 10w-40 because they didn't have 15w-50 7100T yet. This engine likes to beat up oil...

·
Registered
277 Posts
...This engine likes to beat up oil...
Yeah either that or that particular oil is easier to "beat up"... which is not necessarily a bad thing...

My limited understanding is that the more pure the oil (fewer additives/modifiers) the better the lubrication, which is great BUT there needs to be solvent/cleaners, friction modifiers, etc., and the "purer" oil must be changed more often (even though its lack of solvents makes it appear cleaner longer). It's a give-n-take for lack of a better term.

I just use this:

except on food, where I use Filippo's extra virgin.

Evviva per la sicilia!

Cazzo!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts