Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
One of my mirrors is pretty good and the other is shakey. Thats annoying. The bright green DRL light on the dash seems too bright and unnecessary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Positives:
- QuickShifter with auto blipper
- look and feel
- invisible fairing attachement (no visible screws on the outside) amazing!
- riding position (very comfy)
- handling is superb
- torque
- sound of the Akrapovic slip on

Negatives:
- QuickShifter (sometimes rough gearing, especially from 1st to 2nd. Every now and then neutral)
- mirrors (useless while riding)
- strange rattle noise from under the seat area (dealer has no idea what it is, says it's the usual sound. Which I disagree with. Rode a Hypermotard 821 no rattling at all, engine noise is smooth. Anyone else with this?
- weldseam on the exhaust. Looks really noobish

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Could rattling be registration plate? It's a common issue, I put a small piece of adhesive foam under the base of the plate between the plate and mount.

·
Registered
58 Posts
For the most part the bike is every single thing I asked for on my sport touring wishlist, I just wish there were a large factory top box (with easily removed mounting hardware) to go with the side bags. I'll probably pick up something in the aftermarket, but I suspecting I'll find them lacking in one way or another. Suspension on either model is great but the S feels absolutely phenomenal in the tight hilly turns near me, and v-twin power delivery is so wonderful for twisty roads that I'm not missing the slightly larger inline 3 I left behind. Even the factory tire choice is actually one of the better dual compound tires I've tried, which was a pleasant and unexpected surprise. I just wish emissions regs weren't so tight as to necessitate that ugly, power-hungry vampire box on the bottom. I'll be solving that soon, hopefully. Then there's the looks; every time I walk out in the garage I find myself drooling a bit. Hummina hummina. Well except for the plate shovel, but I'll be getting rid of that and the floppy blinkers soon.

I'm so used to sport bike mirrors sucking like a high end Hoover on crack (particularly on a v-twin) that I honestly barely notice the "problem". My Sprint ST 1050 had buzzy fairing mounted mirrors (with a similar blinker set up), and let's not get started on my SV650S before that. Oh and my DR650; you've not seen mirror vibration until you've driven a thumper dual sport. It's really just part of the fairing-mounted mirrors on middle weight sports. They're there to satisfy the nanny state, not provide you with picturesque views of the sucker you just blew past. Head checks aren't just for old 1960s driving safety videos!

The only real complaint I have is that my thighs/knees bump right in to the posts at the back of the trellis frame when I'm gripping the tank properly. Granted, when I'm driving hard it provides a really solid grip point, but an afternoon of hard riding hurts a little bit after, and longer distance cruising it becomes a real annoyance since I tend to sit more forward in the saddle and up more. I might try to fashion some sort of pad to pop on the end of the posts.

All in all though I love it. It's not perfect (no bike is), but it's close enough to keep me plenty happy.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Forgot to mention...one thing I do wish it had was keyless start. I really enjoy that on my truck and wish the bike had it, too. Very handy not to have to dig for your keys...would be extra handy to have that function on a motorcycle when wearing all the gear.
That and cruise control, even its just on the S model. I agree

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
I don't see a reason it couldn't be added aftermarket as a firmware update or something along those lines. All the data and control is there, they just need a button and software to handle it.
Whilst I understand the use of cruise control, surely that is only safer on straight roads. To me each bend is different and needs to be approached individually. I can see the need on highways but that's just boring.
Also the ride by wire is quite tension free, it has some artificial recoil and it provides just the right amount of feel, well done ducati!!
Ride an inline four with carbs for a few hours and an appreciation of the SS throttle grows on you :grin2:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Whilst I understand the use of cruise control, surely that is only safer on straight roads. To me each bend is different and needs to be approached individually. I can see the need on highways but that's just boring.
Having done a 6000 mile month and a half camping ride on my previous sport touring machine the need for a true cruise control became evident pretty fast on long highway stretches. Throttlemeister + Crampbuster was helpful, but not quite good enough. For good roads it's the dumbest idea ever, but for lonely stretches of straight desert highway where you can see for miles it would be amazing.

Also the ride by wire is quite tension free, it has some artificial recoil and it provides just the right amount of feel, well done ducati!!
Ride an inline four with carbs for a few hours and an appreciation of the SS throttle grows on you :grin2:
Yeah I was pretty shocked by that. Moving between my carbureted DR650 and the heavily electronic SuperSport is not a jarring experience at all with regards to throttle feel. A pleasant surprise indeed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Love this bike too! I get a lot of head turns and a lot of comments! People LOVE the bike! I too am having the same issues as others.

- Mirrors are useless
- Gear box is a bit clunky at time and false neutrals.
- A bit more power WOULD be nice!

I'm 6'3" and I find it super comfortable and probably even better than my 2004 BMW R1100S

·
Registered
14 Posts
Could rattling be registration plate? It's a common issue, I put a small piece of adhesive foam under the base of the plate between the plate and mount.
this was my first thought, but after replacing the original tail with a shorter one and putting foam between the plate and die base, nothing changes. the funny thing is, you can only hear it, while you riding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
About the 'keyless' remark: I had it on my Diavel... and on the Diavel forum about 50% of the American owners were complaining VERY hard about it... something about the frequency in the key that is being used by other devices in the US, making the keyless transponder thingie... well... just a little black brick. Ducati did something to the frequencies and for some that really helped.

I had the Diavel for 4 years, zero issues with the keyless thing; when hopping on any other bike though, I felt like I went back a decade when I had to put a key in the ignition and turn it ;) ; I just picked up a used MTS 1200S and I immediately loved the keyless system again: just keep the fob in your jacket pocket!!

Considerations:
- would be VERY nice if the fuel tank lid would also lock/unlock with the same transponder
- if you ride off with the key in the under-seat lock and it falls out while riding, you're in trouble (i.e. don't do that!)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Having done a 6000 mile month and a half camping ride on my previous sport touring machine the need for a true cruise control became evident pretty fast on long highway stretches. Throttlemeister + Crampbuster was helpful, but not quite good enough. For good roads it's the dumbest idea ever, but for lonely stretches of straight desert highway where you can see for miles it would be amazing.

Yeah I was pretty shocked by that. Moving between my carbureted DR650 and the heavily electronic SuperSport is not a jarring experience at all with regards to throttle feel. A pleasant surprise indeed.
Interesting what we each love/hate about a bike, but I understand "to each his/her own". I had been going through the 'five stages' of love/hate the longer I've had the bike, but have begun to move toward acceptance and resolution. :wink2:

Love the look of the white SS S. Sure there are a few details to tweak, but overall the look is stunning. Best tho' is the 'Feel'. Just settling into the stock seat/bars/pegs is satisfying, and once rolling everything about the bike feels natural to me, except...

I may always loath the feel of the Ride by Wire throttle, as I find that there is not a consistent relationship between throttle and ECU. This necessitates constant conscious attention to throttle setting and I find my right arm becoming fatigued when touring...perhaps my brain will carve out new neural pathways eventually, but I'd sure like a Cruise Control to talk to the ECU for me for any sustained stretch of road.

OTOH, I'm completely indifferent to the stock exhaust and mirrors. I like the look of the two little cans poking out from the bottom, and would only lose the CC box to save weight. I never turn my head when changing lanes if I'm behind a car, and find the mirrors adequate for lane changes.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Interesting what we each love/hate about a bike, but I understand "to each his/her own". I had been going through the 'five stages' of love/hate the longer I've had the bike, but have begun to move toward acceptance and resolution. :wink2:

Love the look of the white SS S. Sure there are a few details to tweak, but overall the look is stunning. Best tho' is the 'Feel'. Just settling into the stock seat/bars/pegs is satisfying, and once rolling everything about the bike feels natural to me, except...

I may always loath the feel of the Ride by Wire throttle, as I find that there is not a consistent relationship between throttle and ECU. This necessitates constant conscious attention to throttle setting and I find my right arm becoming fatigued when touring...perhaps my brain will carve out new neural pathways eventually, but I'd sure like a Cruise Control to talk to the ECU for me for any sustained stretch of road.

OTOH, I'm completely indifferent to the stock exhaust and mirrors. I like the look of the two little cans poking out from the bottom, and would only lose the CC box to save weight. I never turn my head when changing lanes if I'm behind a car, and find the mirrors adequate for lane changes.
Use an old fashioned o-ring, roll it on and off between grip edge lip and electrical block on the bars. Not too much risk since you will be in cruise mode anyway

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Use an old fashioned o-ring, roll it on and off between grip edge lip and electrical block on the bars. Not too much risk since you will be in cruise mode anyway
This has been my preferred cruise control for years! Works like a charm.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts