Ducati SuperSport Forum banner

Where did you ride your Supersport today?

15K views 89 replies 29 participants last post by  theresanothersteve 
#1 ·
Hi all, I wanted to share a ride I did the other day and realized we don't have a "Ride Report" page or thread anywhere. So let's start one.

Seems like it should be it's own forum with regional subforums. Maybe we'll get there.

#2 · (Edited)
So Rever's "embed for forum" sharing option doesn't work. :/

<iframe src="https://a.rever.co/embed/rides/537584" width="700" height="700"></iframe>

Is there any way we can get this functionality added? In the mean time, here's a screenshot and a direct link.

https://a.rever.co/embed/rides/537584

Attachments

#3 ·
Wow, jealous! You have mountain hills, twisties and the ocean all in one ride. Southern Michigan can't compete with that. :frown2: Still, it is a nice sunny morning so I am heading out for a ride. :smile2:

Reactions: spinkick
#4 ·
Went on an overnighter yesterday afternoon, came back this morning. The goal was to ride the Shaniko-Fossil road, sometimes called Antelope road, also known as Oregon Route 218. It's a really great canyon road in the middle of no-where with all the things that comes with - no cops, no gas, no cell service. Turns out that a number of the other roads I took to get there were also pretty spectacular and worth the trip.

On my way back this morning I took the longer way home, diverting south to check out Painted Hills, part of the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument. I had originally planned to continue out to Detroit Lake, then north through the Mt Hood Wilderness via Brietenbush and Ripplebrook, but that was going to put me back into crappy big-city traffic at 4 PM on a Friday afternoon, at the end of a 300 mile day. I opted for the slightly more direct route.

Attachments

#5 ·
From zip code 04106, rt114 to 04055, then rt302 to 04040, then rt35 back to 04055, the rt302 to 04062, followed rt302 till I got to the totary that I took connecting me with rt202 west till I got to the intersection of 202 and River Rd, went left on River Rd followed that to 04092, then made my way back home to 04106. Total 100 miles.

#6 ·
Today was Nestucca River Road connecting Carlton Oregon (Wine Country!) to the Oregon Coast. What a fantastic road! It's the squiggly part across the bottom of the attached map. 50 miles of mostly motorcycling bliss, tight corners, some whoop-di-do's - bliss minus the 2 miles of hard packed gravel at the west end near Elk Bend campground that is. I put the bike in Urban mode with the rider aids maxed out, reset my brain to "rear brake only mode" and went at it.

Stopped at Cape Lookout and watched a para-glider launch from right where I was parked, dropped down into Nestarts Oregon for lunch at The Schooner, then back into Portland via Tillamook and Rte. 6. Just shy of 175 miles for the day, I'll definitely be looking forward to Nestucca River Road in the future, but not looking forward to cleaning the chain tonight.

Attachments

#7 ·
psyopper, I enjoy your reports, maps, pix vicariously. Pacific NW was in our top 10 list of places to live in the US (or the top 100 worldwide). Almost moved to McMinnville years ago. I try to get out that way when I can.

Roanoke was on the list too, and it worked out. The riding isn't the only draw here, but it's a **** big one! I have dozens of long and short routes in the area from minutes to all day. Had a wet 1 hour ride in the morning, then a ride I took this afternoon in pouring rain with a low fuel light thrown in comic relief :roll eyes:

Slow going in the wet with lots of standing water, debris, mud and gravel on the backroads. Hope to get some photos this weekend as we rack up some sightseeing miles.

Attachments

#10 ·
Thanks! McMinville is a really great little town, and a good jumping off point for a number of nice rides into the Coast Range. The Appalachians are nothing to sneeze at when it comes to good motorcycle roads either; I went to college in Lock Haven PA, at the time I was a non-competetive bicyclist logging 2-300 miles a week and I still dream about some of those roads. Next time you're out this way we'll have to go for a ride.

Reactions: mercer854
#8 ·
Just got back from a trip from Fredericton, New Brunswick to Montreal, Quebec and back through the White Mountains!

WOW! What a ride and what a bike! Rode 6 - 8 hours each day and really didn't get that uncomfortable!

This thing is SO stable and so fun to ride! Even did the auto road up Mt. Washington! That was a cool experience!

Really loving this bike... other than my front brake issues!

#11 ·
Wow, great trip! If the Touring gear arrives we're hoping to do a similar loop from Burlington, VT to Quebec around the Gaspé peninsula in late August early September on the SS, and via New Brunswick back to VT. Admitting to transporting the Duc to VT in my van...years ago my wife made it very clear that she had no interest in the enroute A to B part of the trip. The other option is ride and fly. I ride to a distant airport, she flies in and then we commence the 'touring' portion. She's there to see the sights...turns out she's into lighthouses. Who knew?

Hoping to stay w/Motorcycle Travel Club members in Quebec . I'll post something on MTS a little later.

#9 ·
Wow, these rides are beautiful!! Living 15 miles due west of NYC, I have to go an hour North or West to get any type of twisty, no-traffic type of roads.

This should be a separate forums with subs. Let me see what i can do.........

#12 ·
A great local ride

Shot of the Supersport from the Photo thread. This overlook is within the city limits at Mill Mountain park minutes from downtown Roanoke on an outcrop of the Blue Ridge mountain range looking NW past the city and over the valley toward the Allegheny mountain range extending on into the eastern edge of WV.

Second shot is a repeat looking NE back toward Mill Mountain from a little peak south of town. A sweet 37 mile loop south took me past this spot via Mill Mountain Parkway to the Blue Ridge Pkwy for 15 miles, then joining US221 back north where it drops 1,500' at Bent Mountain in a delicious series of cambered curves and smooth pavement. A little side trip up Mt. Chestnut to Valhalla vineyard for the second picture, then 1 lane down in 1st gear back into town.

I took some onboard video today, but the mount shook so violently that I trashed them. I'll try again tomorrow, as the roads themselves were so interesting that I wouldn't mind doing a few more laps of this circuit...same distance as the IOM TT!! Average speeds about 1/3 of those of the TT. :laugh:

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
Todays ride is a short but sweet loop out to Vernonia via Highway 47 and back into Portland via Scappoose-Vernonia Highway and eventually Highway 30. This is my "go to" ride when I just need to get out of the house for a few hours, but can't (or don't feel up to) be out riding all day.

Normally I would jog up to Skyline Blvd via Rocky Point road, but today I stopped off at Two Stroke Coffee Co. in the St. Johns neighborhood instead; great guys, awesome bikes, and they sell what they ride. Also the local dealer for Zero motorcycles, and a great consignment shop for gear called, you guessed it - Second Gear. Plus it's always fun to ride over the St. Johns Bridge, probably the most photographed bridge in the state and looks like where Dracula would live. The included photos of the bridge and "Cathedral Park" (the concrete foundation for the bridge) are not my own. 2 Stroke is also the host for a monthly bike night "sponsored" by my local Ducati club, Ducati Pacifica. Club "meetings" are the first Thursday of the month, March to October. They also host viewings of the MotoGP races on race Sundays at Noon.

I'm avoiding the longer and more interesting routes this weekend as the state is jam-packed full of tourists visiting for the eclipse. Roads that I normall can ride at 85 mph all afternoon are now backed up 25 miles with stopped traffic.

Attachments

#21 ·
Have to do some more work on the rack put the bike on the work stand and realised the fuel was full Doh. So decided to ride to Auburn in sydney to get some rizoma foot rests for the back and to empty the tank. went to frasers for lunch and spotted the Superleggera [Sold] Mmmmmmmm Superleggera.

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
Today's ride was up to Mount St. Helens. Most Americans older than 35 or so remember the explosion event vividly, not so much with the younger generations. I went up there with another fella from the local Ducati club, Ducati Pacifica, on his 2014 Multistrada. The roads were a combination of spectacular and helll-scape and there was no indication which it was going to be at any given point in time. Beautiful views along the way too. Started out early and it was definitely an Autumn day in the US - warm sun, cold air, and the smell of brown leaves in the air. There was a particular stretch of Windy River Road at the north end that was billiard table smooth and would have made an amazing race track. The kind of road you want to turn around and do over and over-again.

The route was up I-5, and out Highway 14 to Carson, then north in Windy River Highway and keep following the signs for Windy Ridge Lookout. We backtracked a good portion, but he split of on WA-503 to go home, and I took the I-5 and slabbed it back to beat traffic.

While we were up at Windy Ridge we ran into a guy riding a Kawasaki Versys. He, literally, rides his bike for a living - his living is writing for www.best-motorcycle-roads.com. He was stoked to see an SS in person, he had heard about them and watched a few videos but this was his first time seeing one. He tagged along with us for a little bit to check it out. I suppose when you live in the world of Japanese bikes it's easy to miss out on the release of something from Italy.

Attachments

#25 ·
Today's ride was up to Mount St. Helens. Most Americans older than 35 or so remember the explosion event vividly, not so much with the younger generations. I went up there with another fella from the local Ducati club, Ducati Pacifica, on his 2014 Multistrada. The roads were a combination of spectacular and helll-scape and there was no indication which it was going to be at any given point in time. Beautiful views along the way too. Started out early and it was definitely an Autumn day in the US - warm sun, cold air, and the smell of brown leaves in the air. There was a particular stretch of Windy River Road at the north end that was billiard table smooth and would have made an amazing race track. The kind of road you want to turn around and do over and over-again.

The route was up I-5, and out Highway 14 to Carson, then north in Windy River Highway and keep following the signs for Windy Ridge Lookout. We backtracked a good portion, but he split of on WA-503 to go home, and I took the I-5 and slabbed it back to beat traffic.

While we were up at Windy Ridge we ran into a guy riding a Kawasaki Versys. He, literally, rides his bike for a living - his living is writing for Best Motorcycle Roads Oregon Washington California. He was stoked to see an SS in person, he had heard about them and watched a few videos but this was his first time seeing one. He tagged along with us for a little bit to check it out. I suppose when you live in the world of Japanese bikes it's easy to miss out on the release of something from Italy.
stunning looking scenery, volcano looks great too..>:)

#26 ·
looks like a nice ride!

took my bike up Highway 9 / Skyline to Alice's for some coffee. Then rode down 84 to Highway 1. Took 1 up to Half Moon Bay. Connected from 92 back to 35/Skyline to head back to Alice's.

first time really taking the bike out on a real ride and it was amazing. i was not even pushing it that hard but i felt faster and more confident on it then any of my previous bikes.

pictured is my buddies FZ-07. not pictured is a ton of Audi R8's and other exotics. i could sit at alice's and people/car/motorcycle watch all day.

Attachments

#32 ·
Klickitat Canyon

Today's ride was out to Klickitat Canyon. It's a favorite around these parts with a mix of true canyon carving, high speed high desert flats, and amazing views of the Columbia River Gorge, Mt Hood and Mt Adams. Plus, it's 100 miles to the loop, 100 miles through the loop, and 100 miles back, perfect ranges for gas fills and leg stretches. I used to live out in this neck of the woods and it's good to go visit.

Unfortunately, my Supersport threw a Check Engine Light just as I was leaving the driveway, so I had to take the '94 900 Supersport instead. Tough problem to have, eh? Of course, once I got home the bike wasn't showing the CEL any more... oh well. I'll have the dealer pull the codes when I have it in for winter service. I sure would have made for a more comfortable 300 mile day than being on the old bike.

Attachments

#34 ·
Today's ride was out to Klickitat Canyon. It's a favorite around these parts with a mix of true canyon carving, high speed high desert flats, and amazing views of the Columbia River Gorge, Mt Hood and Mt Adams. Plus, it's 100 miles to the loop, 100 miles through the loop, and 100 miles back, perfect ranges for gas fills and leg stretches. I used to live out in this neck of the woods and it's good to go visit.

Unfortunately, my Supersport threw a Check Engine Light just as I was leaving the driveway, so I had to take the '94 900 Supersport instead. Tough problem to have, eh? Of course, once I got home the bike wasn't showing the CEL any more... oh well. I'll have the dealer pull the codes when I have it in for winter service. I sure would have made for a more comfortable 300 mile day than being on the old bike.
Probably little early for any feedback on the CEL(?).

Oregon is such a wonderful state that I had the pleasure to ride; it has so much! Mts, the Columbia River Gorge, Ocean, Desert, Hell’s Caynon, but one of my all time favorites is Crater Lake. Spectacular!

In general, pretty heavily patrolled state, gotta watch speed closely; but when in the desert: let is fly!

#33 ·
Rode From Canberra to Merimbula via Brown mountain and Candelo. About a tanks range (270 km, 170 mi), with a lot of B/C class roads - narrowish, follows terrain rather than cut and fill. Lots of sweepers, hills, dips and huge grin factor. Small villages buried in valeys where the exhaust bounces of the valley walls. Had a lot of people stop and stare at the bike and couple give me the thumbs up as I went by.

Any tips for longer rides though? I noticed my inner thigh and pelvis started to get sore on some of the boring parts. I think I need thicker grips and cruise control would be nice. Sheepskin? Touring seat?

Don't get me started on cagers on tight mountain roads though... What the eff do they think they are proving?

#36 ·
Went for a 100 km afterwork blast with the Canberra District Ducati Club >:) Then a burger, a beer and a photop. A couple of Panigale 1299's The 848 that got me interested in Ducati, an awesome Pantah 600 and one ring in. Mines on the far right. There were a few more bikes on the ride, but some didn't stick around for dinner. Great way to unwind.

Attachments

#38 ·
We had a little break in the weather here in Georgia today. It was cloudy but reached the 70’s F. So I took advantage and did a back road run from Marietta to Rome. Right about 120 miles. Scenery and roads were not that remarkable but it was great to get out. This bike is so easy to ride and do much fun.

#39 ·
We had a little break in the weather here in Georgia today. It was cloudy but reached the 70’s F.
Very jealous.

This winter has been terrible. The worst snow winter I can remember...meaning no snow to ride (snowboard). So, instead of hoping for late snow and wanting it to last into May like I usually do....I have thrown in the towel, want an early spring, and am heading down to Southern Utah to pick my beautiful red baby up the first weekend in March. Looking forward to that first ride of 2018, and then I'll bring her back here to Idaho. Until then i can just be jealous of you and your 70 degree, winter ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.