Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It'll be time for some to think about what the next set of brake pads are for the front.
I'm not quite there yet but import lead time is months for me so I have to plan way ahead.
So what are people thinking of replacing the Ducati pads with. I've used SBS, EBC and other semi sintered and organic compounds in the past. I've investigated the different compounds of Brembo and they technically seem suitable.

SBS have never let me down but they do seem to absorb oil a little too easy. Well that's my experience with them at least
EBC, I feel didn't have the bite I wanted.

Armstrong, well I've never used them or heard of them until recently, so I have zero reference point on them.

Ducati OEM pads have been pretty good but compared to aftermarket pads they are expensive.

Only my thoughts!

So what are you thinking the most suitable replacement shall be??

·
Registered
800 Posts
I plan to use the fully sintered EBC HH pads when the time comes. I use them on my 900SS and have been very pleased with their characteristics. I've used Ferodo in the past with good results as well, but they don't seem to be as popular these days for some reason.

You might also consider seeing what's readily available locally so in the case of needing to swap pads you can replace them without having to scrub down your rotors.

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Supersport S
448 Posts
I like the EBC HH as well. Used them on many of my previous bikes and they always felt excellent.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,613 Posts
I'm a firm believer in SBS ever since I had a set on my MTS1200 when I did a 10 day visit to the Dolomites. I never used the brakes so much in my life.The SBS pads were nicely progressive biting harder as they heated up but very predictable. Much the better than the OEM Brembo pads.

·
Registered
942 Posts
HH sintered, whichever of the big names is on sale. If they're all the same price, EBC. It really doesn't matter with my type of riding.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I replaced the stock Brembo "GG'" front pads with Brembo "HH" as soon as I took delivery of the bike - the stockers felt too soft for me on initial bite. The change is noticeable; much better.
Did you go with the LA or SA or SC brembo pads. What price if you can recall.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Did you go with the LA or SA or SC brembo pads. What price if you can recall.
The local distributor looked up the Brembo pad offerings Online and saw three options for the Supersport - the standard GG pads, the HH pads for street/track and some pads for track use only. I chose the HH pads which cost me $115.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Got a screw stuck in my new rear tire, ugh, so I need a new one. While I'm at it I'm checking the wear on the rear brake pads. My bike has 10k mi and the attached pic shows what I have left. Essentially the pad depth is about the same as the backing plate. What kind of life do people have with rear pads? How do you know when you need new ones without taking them out and inspecting them? FWIW, I'm hard on tires, they only last maybe 3k miles before replacement, and I'm pretty hard on brakes as well if that helps determine when to replace.

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
Got a screw stuck in my new rear tire, ugh, so I need a new one. While I'm at it I'm checking the wear on the rear brake pads. My bike has 10k mi and the attached pic shows what I have left. Essentially the pad depth is about the same as the backing plate. What kind of life do people have with rear pads? How do you know when you need new ones without taking them out and inspecting them? FWIW, I'm hard on tires, they only last maybe 3k miles before replacement, and I'm pretty hard on brakes as well if that helps determine when to replace.
I’d say you have another 10K miles to go in those depending on how the other side looks.

The Brembo pad specs show 7.3mm for the pad plus backing plate, and to my eyes you look down only a mm or so, I think you have a lot left. Most pads have grooves cut in them, these don’t so you’ll have to punt a bit and change before they get too thin and go metal to metal. I’d change at around 1.5 to 2mm of pad left but I’m sure the service manual has an actual spec in it.

https://www.desmo-racing.com/en/ducati-rear-brake-pads-brembo-61340951a-xml-357_419-5784.html

·
Registered
266 Posts
I’d say you have another 10K miles to go in those depending on how the other side looks.

The Brembo pad specs show 7.3mm for the pad plus backing plate, and to my eyes you look down only a mm or so, I think you have a lot left. Most pads have grooves cut in them, these don’t so you’ll have to punt a bit and change before they get too thin and go metal to metal. I’d change at around 1.5 to 2mm of pad left but I’m sure the service manual has an actual spec in it.

https://www.desmo-racing.com/en/ducati-rear-brake-pads-brembo-61340951a-xml-357_419-5784.html
The link is helpful, looks like I’m fine. Thanks!

·
Registered
800 Posts
For the ebc pads, is there somebody who tested the EP FA630HH ref (street and racing)
I have these EBC HH sintered pads on my 939, 900SS and track bike. They are great pads with agressive but very predictable behavior on the street and are the go-to pads for for most track-day riders around here. They do make dust though and are known to be agressive on rotors, but rotors are technically wear items anyway.

Our bikes came with sintered HH pads from the factory, transitioning to another manufacturers HH pads won't be a big change.

·
Registered
93 Posts
With EBC, the EP reference looks to correspond with the Brembo SC and the classic HH with the SA. But according to you, the EP or SC are useless?
And what is the brembo model for the guenuine pads?

·
Registered
93 Posts
So I bought the EP HH and tested this afternoon. Absolutely awesome.
Indeed, useless for a classic ride because origin pads are already efficient but with these one it's a really high braking power.
But with the noise you ear when you push the lever, such as if pads bite the rotor, it's true that it will have a shorter life. 😂
Now, I just have to wait for the wear. Maybe I'll do the same with tires. Summer/winter tires and summer/winter pads.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have these EBC HH sintered pads on my 939, 900SS and track bike. They are great pads with agressive but very predictable behavior on the street and are the go-to pads for for most track-day riders around here. They do make dust though and are known to be agressive on rotors, but rotors are technically wear items anyway.

Our bikes came with sintered HH pads from the factory, transitioning to another manufacturers HH pads won't be a big change.
Not true. The SSs come with "GG" pads from the factory.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts