Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this online. looks like a victim of target fixation.

stay safe out there all.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
This was on here before the SS was released to mass market.
It was from when the journalists were invited to Spain to test the bike.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was on here before the SS was released to mass market.
It was from when the journalists were invited to Spain to test the bike.
ouch. i was pretty nervous about the demo ride after i booked it because of vids like this, but the bike was so intuitive and easy to ride that my worries quickly melted away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I seriously don't understand why this happened. Everyone in front of him made the corner, I'd expect a "salesman" to not succumb to target fixation. Hope he's OK.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I seriously don't understand why this happened. Everyone in front of him made the corner, I'd expect a "salesman" to not succumb to target fixation. Hope he's OK.
Having an interest if rider skills, I said it the first time this video came up, and will say it again. The crash occurred principally for no other reason than the rider didn't know how to corner.

There are other factors such as excessive speed for a potentially unfolding dangerous situation (failure to consider environment and traffic signs), ego to keep up with others of greater ability, but bottom line .... the rider simply lacked the skills to keep the bike under control and turn at the speed he was travelling. Just because someone can string words together for a magazine or blog doesn't mean they know how to ride.

P.S. No such thing as 'target fixation' being the CAUSE of an accident. Target fixation is a panic REACTION due to some skill deficiency in the rider (and the rider realizing they don't have the practiced and instinctive skills to handle the present situation). It is the skill deficiency that is the actual cause of the crash, and that's what needs to be remedied. Skilled and practiced riders do not 'target fixate'. They may still crash trying to get around the corner or whatever if they made an error in judgement, but they won't just freeze up in panic.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Trajectory in clearly bad entry of bend, he is in the middle of its way instead of being outside. Associated with the speed and a bad reading of the curve...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The best advice I was ever given was to a question I asked an advanced instructor.
I asked what should I do if I think I've gone into a corner to hot and don't think I will make it?
He told me "DONT GIVE UP"
The bike is far more capable than I will ever be, that advice has saved me when I've make a mistake (not reading the road, being stupid etc)
Give up and you will crash don't and your in with a chance of saving it. It goes without saying its best to avoid those situations in the first place.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I agree. I'm not sure how this happened. Even if the road wasn't a familiar one, it should have been an easy turn to take...even at the speed they were traveling...which I didn't think was all that excessive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Having an interest if rider skills, I said it the first time this video came up, and will say it again. The crash occurred principally for no other reason than the rider didn't know how to corner.

There are other factors such as excessive speed for a potentially unfolding dangerous situation (failure to consider environment and traffic signs), ego to keep up with others of greater ability, but bottom line .... the rider simply lacked the skills to keep the bike under control and turn at the speed he was travelling. Just because someone can string words together for a magazine or blog doesn't mean they know how to ride.

P.S. No such thing as 'target fixation' being the CAUSE of an accident. Target fixation is a panic REACTION due to some skill deficiency in the rider (and the rider realizing they don't have the practiced and instinctive skills to handle the present situation). It is the skill deficiency that is the actual cause of the crash, and that's what needs to be remedied. Skilled and practiced riders do not 'target fixate'. They may still crash trying to get around the corner or whatever if they made an error in judgement, but they won't just freeze up in panic.
Well said...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Crash

·
Super Moderator
7,825 Posts
Very old vid, same as was originally posted. This was when dealers were invited to ride the bike before shipments. My salesperson actually saw this and sent me a still pic before the vid was published.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes, all rider error, poor judgment of the corner and probably lack of experience. You can clearly see how the riders in front were leaned over and negotiating the corner correctly. Hope he wasn't injured badly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts