Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys and gals, do we think that Ducati will update the Supersport for 2021?

Most bike manufacturers do a refresh or update of their model range about every 4 years and as the Superpsort came out in 2017, do we think there will be a new model/update/refresh?

The European Bike shows held towards the end of the year is generally when manufacturers unveil their new models, so maybe unless we get some paparazzi long distance spyshots of a new Supersport, we will have to wait and see.

What would you like to see on an updated version of the Supersport?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'd really like to see the new TFT interface and the controls used on some of the pricier models. Also, I'm going to commit blasphemy and say that I'd like to see the 1260 Testastretta as an option as well. Maybe they even go full-bore and make it a serious sport touring bike; a nimble and agile FJR with Ducati styling. Electric windscreen as standard, with hand warmers / seat warmers as an option. Maybe some truly hard bags that are lockable as well. I would really, really consider that bike with that sort of capability as a second sled because honestly, the Multi doesn't really do it for me as a touring model. If I'm going to have two bikes I need them to be very different, so either a touring machine or an adventure machine. As mentioned in my review of my SF by one of the posters, the SF V2 would be a strong competitor to the SuperSport because if it's anything like my V4 it'll be all-day comfortable but with that torque curve of a twin. Maybe diverging the SS line a bit towards a true sport touring model would be a good idea.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd really like to see the new TFT interface and the controls used on some of the pricier models. Also, I'm going to commit blasphemy and say that I'd like to see the 1260 Testastretta as an option as well. Maybe they even go full-bore and make it a serious sport touring bike; a nimble and agile FJR with Ducati styling. Electric windscreen as standard, with hand warmers / seat warmers as an option. Maybe some truly hard bags that are lockable as well. I would really, really consider that bike with that sort of capability as a second sled because honestly, the Multi doesn't really do it for me as a touring model. If I'm going to have two bikes I need them to be very different, so either a touring machine or an adventure machine. As mentioned in my review of my SF by one of the posters, the SF V2 would be a strong competitor to the SuperSport because if it's anything like my V4 it'll be all-day comfortable but with that torque curve of a twin. Maybe diverging the SS line a bit towards a true sport touring model would be a good idea.
That's some major updates on the engine front you would like to see there Ace Bongwater Johnson. Gonna cost a pretty penny for that lot o_O
You say truly hard bags that are lockable Do the current hard panniers not float your boat?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I strongly suspect that whatever updates were made recently on the Hypermotard will make their way onto the SS. I would also speculate that the clutch will be changed to a hydraulic unit.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
No as in you don't think they will update it? :(
nope, not 2021. Economy is too weak justifying a new model. I am guessing there is still a lot of production inventory left through 2021.

It matters little to me since I have my bike. No way I would care about upgrading it just for a new dashboard or even cruise.

And if they make it a 1200 to be an FJR competitor then it wouldn't be an agile sportbike. And I think Diavel platform makes more sense as an FJR competitor.

·
Registered
2020 SuperSport Ti
45 Posts
I would like to see LED headlights and LCD display. These are the two main things that should be standard at this price point currently. Also cruise control would be nice if this is meant to be a touring bike.

Bigger engine is not needed IMO, current one has enough power and torque for touring purposes. I'm worried that bigger engine would result in higher weight which would be terrible - I love that the bike is light and nimble.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Do the current hard panniers not float your boat?
Not especially. i'll like panniers that are latched rather than zipped, and made completely of plastic rather than the hybrid solution. That is, if it went more aggressively touring. Of course, I'm pretty much envisioning a completely new bike at this point, so I'm probably a bit out of bounds here.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think a significant update is not likely. I don't think they're selling enough of them to justify the expense.

The main thing I'd like to see upgraded would be to add the more advanced cornering ABS to it. I think that should be achievable without too much expense or development needed, since they already have it on other Ducs.

I would like to see better headlights, probably LED. Hard bags would be a nice plus.

PhilB

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
Meh...fix the mirrors and upgrade the headlight to LED.

The cable clutch and plain vanilla digital cluster don’t bother me.

PhilB is probably right...Ducati isn’t selling enough to warrant a big refresh. The pause in manufacturing will probably loom over the historic norms for quarterly sales and profits for a while so any initiatives with lower tier models are likely to be the first to come off the year’s production goals.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Meh...fix the mirrors and upgrade the headlight to LED.

The cable clutch and plain vanilla digital cluster don’t bother me.

PhilB is probably right...Ducati isn’t selling enough to warrant a big refresh. The pause in manufacturing will probably loom over the historic norms for quarterly sales and profits for a while so any initiatives with lower tier models are likely to be the first to come off the year’s production goals.
But couldn't this also have a polar opposite effect? By bringing out new models, it could wet peoples appetites just enough to splash the cash. It's a gamble and one that manufacturers of all products (not just bikes) will have to weigh up in some way, shape or form.
We are in a global recession, but the money is still out there - it's just in different places.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I like the factory saddlebags. It's pretty nice being able to expand them and get a helmet into one. A Goldwing bag won't hold a helmet. Then you can squeeze it back and have a trimmer bag. I don't see a downside.

So far as weather resistance? I always pack my stuff in garbage bags to keep it dry. I've learned that hardbags leak too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It seems to me that the V2 represents the sportier option from the SS, and the Multistrada represents the more touring-oriented option from the SS. Can't see why they'd do that much to change the formula of the SS. A few upgrades, sure, but the bike bridges between so many other lines (Monster, Multi, PaniV2) that I don't see where they'd go with the SS other than to replicate something that already exists.

What I'd personally love to see is a sportier version that drops the touring aspects (hi bars, rain mode, low seat) and makes the SS into a true short-curvy-ride middle weight bike - like a V2 Jr. I feel the engine on the SS would make for a nice, manageable sport bike.

So, for me, the bars would be lower with a faring change to accommodate, the seat would be a little higher, pegs stay nice and low-ish (like the V4), and maybe the bike gets the new range of electronics. Add in some lighter wheels, carbon front fender, a racier paintjob (like the new white V2, perhaps) and call it the SuperSport R.

:)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I'd kind of like to the see the opposite change to the SS. Keep the ergonomics, balance, brakes and weight, add more 15 more horses on the top end (with no loss of low end torque) and put on electric cruise.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wouldn’t be surprised if in 2022 they went to a V4. Maybe an R version with more hp and carbon fiber.
I’m not sure but this is a great discussion.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ducati has already confirmed a Streetfighter V2 at the end of 2019 and the statement was that this bike will come sooner rather than later.

Therefore I assume that a Streetfighter V2 will be presented in late 2020 or early 2021. Already confirmed is a Multistrada V4 for 2021.

In my opinion there is no space for the Supersport in this product range. Currently, the Supersport is a Panigale optimized for everyday use, but this role will be taken over by the Streetfighter family. A possible solution would be to focus the Supersport more clearly on touring. But here the trend is clearly going in the direction of adventure bikes. The classic sport touring segment is getting smaller and smaller.

So I don't think Ducati will change anything about the Supersport for 2021. Maybe not until the Streetfighter and Multistrada families are fully introduced and established. Then Ducati will have to consider whether there is still enough room for the Supersport family between these two product lines.

Between the Panigale and Streetfighter family there is definitely no space for a Supersport. The strategy of building a Panigale for everyday use has not been successful in my opinion, because a Panigale is bought for purely emotional reasons. An entry-level or Panigale "light" therefore has bad cards by definition, because it will always have the image of a wannabe Panigale. Even if it is rationally the better motorcycle for road use. And who buys a wannabe Panigale for rational reasons, if the purchase of a Panigale happens purely for emotional reasons? Ok, we did it :D But we are a clear minority and the sales figures for the Supersport are smaller than for all other product families.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Is there any big competition to SS? CBR650? BMW 900something? I think it has its own niche. Came out just before all other changed dashboards to colorful TFTs. Luckly for me it doesn't matter, it has lifetime with me so anything newer is just a fun fact.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Regardless of whether there is any current competition to the Supersport, if Ducati, or any company for that matter, sits on it's laurels for too long and doesn't 'refresh' the products in its range, they will be left behind as people look elsewhere for something that suits them.

I don't expect a new bike or anything too radical, hence I used the term 'refresh'
If the Supersport has its own niche and Ducati don't do anything with it, then IMO, at some stage people will look for something else as things evolve and manufacturers fit the latest technology to their bikes etc, then people will move on.

Things change, as an example the capacity and style of bikes ............................
In the UK in the late 1990's and early 2000's, 750 cc Sports bikes were all the rage (the perfect halfway house between a 600 and a thou') sales declined partly as a result of them not being raced in WSB and national championships, lack of development, production costs etc; Suzuki hung on with iconic GSXR 750 - shame that went.
Next up on the chopping block was the 600 cc class Sportsbike (over a few years I had two CBR 600F's, two ZX6R's and three GSXR 600's). In the UK the 600 cc class accounted for the biggest chunk of the market. Sadly, they too experienced a demise with only Yamaha still making a 'true' 600 cc Sportsbike; Kawasaki dabbled between a 636 and a 600 and still make a ZX6R, but it is 636 cc!

What I am getting at is things do move on, and unless manufacturers respond they will be left behind.

As I started this topic, what would I like to see on a 'refreshed' Supersport?
TFT Dash
Belly Pan as standard
A few more horses whilst not taking away from its low down torque
Lose some weight from it

Nothing too drastic really!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts