Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm with @LowRyter here. It doesn't matter too much what they do to the updated SS, as long as they continue the line. After all the TFT dash and a few more horses won't make me pay for a brand new bike. Mine isn't perfect, but it's so close to being perfect, I would need to see some radical improvements to be persuaded to change. Another reason to change the SS for me would be if it starts falling apart, which used to be a problem with the 00's models, but not so much these days, not yet at least, so maybe in a good few years...

Reactions: LowRyter

·
Registered
89 Posts
As mentioned before they market right now is shifting to mid weight ADV bikes. The cars are out of control. Also manufacturers did it to them selves. Who is going to pay 18k for a liter bike. Sure a Panigale S is 22k but Italian bikes are a different market. You can get a used ADV bike for a reasonable cost. You can even buy a 250 dual sport for 5k new.

Anyways I feel the Super Sport is here to stay. Its a nice bike for someone who doesn't want a sport bike due to unusable power and ergonomics. You can still have fun on back roads(torque monster) but also go on longer rides.

Our bike is a hybrid of 3 bikes. It's a very profitable bike to produce. I would imagine due to manufacturing cost you will see a V4 engine that used in multiple bikes. How much longer will they produce a L Twin? I do see some slight modifications such as a new display. Ducati has to stay competitive with the market. Now, new riders want to be able to control their phone from the gauges. Its not for me. When I ride, I'm off the grid. I don't need group chats, social media or email going off.

I would hope to see a R version with more hp and carbon fiber. A special paint job would be nice too. I saw on Instagram a nice tri-colore. Is this owner on here?

·
Registered
753 Posts
With current economy and bike sales, I can’t any of this happening. As to be more like FJR, no way I’d want 150 lbs added to weight! Mine is about 450 lbs wet and I don’t want any addition. The V2 is attractive to me, but not the lower bars. TFT dash might be nice. Just saying...

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I've just read about hypermotard 950 - of course they could give "us" TFT, ABS cornering and hydraulic clutch : ) It's our bike just higher. The question is - is there still a room? Not anymore I think. V2 + MS 950 + Hypermotard 950. Thank you. Topic closed. They have to deal with Monsters in many versions and Scramblers. Now Covid, I don't think it will help to spare resources more... For me no problem, lifetime ownership anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With current economy and bike sales, I can’t any of this happening.
Ducati has no one but themselves to blame for the SuperSport's poor sales. It was outdated in 2017, and it's a bad joke to call what they currently sell a 2020 model. Sport Tourers can still sell very well - the Ninja 1000SX is selling like hotcakes where I'm at. Ducati has all the tech. They just don't care about the SS. The only other bikes with the same archaic dashboard are the base level Monster (little more than half the price) and the Scramblers. The 950 Multi at the same price point is so much better equipped but I refuse to have manufacturers ram adv bikes down my throat. I don't want one.

I know some people don't care about gizmos but I'll forever be mad at Ducati for neglecting the SuperSport. Who knows, maybe they'll finally update it in '21 (at least TFT and cruise, that'd already be enough) and allow me to throw all my money their way. As it stands, I'm not hopeful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, sorry for making my first post so ranty - been lurking a while and had that one in backlog.

Don't have it anymore but couldn't find anything that kind of scratched the same itch (R1250RS too fat, S1000RR too sporty) so I'm sat here waiting if, maybe, 2021 brings some changes. Ducati might see me crawling back either way if I'm being honest. It's just that it'd be an absolute no-brainer if it was a more well-rounded package and I'm fairly certain I'm not the only prospective buyer who thinks that.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Ninja 1000SX is very attractive. Price is good, equipment is good. Would be nice to test ride. Negatives are that hideous muffler and curb weight of 513.8 lbs.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
524 Posts
Ninja 1000SX is very attractive. Price is good, equipment is good. Would be nice to test ride. Negatives are that hideous muffler and curb weight of 513.8 lbs.
I find the Ninja very unattractive, like most Japanese bikes. To my eyes at least, none can compare with the SS design - not even close. I do, however, like the Ninja equipment and pricing.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hmm, I didn’t intend attractive as to the esthetic, rather attractive in equipment and price. To me, Italian design is worth every penny.

Reactions: Oldrider

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thanks, sorry for making my first post so ranty - been lurking a while and had that one in backlog.

Don't have it anymore but couldn't find anything that kind of scratched the same itch (R1250RS too fat, S1000RR too sporty) so I'm sat here waiting if, maybe, 2021 brings some changes. Ducati might see me crawling back either way if I'm being honest. It's just that it'd be an absolute no-brainer if it was a more well-rounded package and I'm fairly certain I'm not the only prospective buyer who thinks that.
Carmakers refresh their products every couple years between major design changes, so why don't motorcycle companies do the same? The Monster 821 received a TFT dash a couple of years ago and it's the same size as the LCD unit on the SS. While they;re at it Ducati could add cruise control, LED lighting and a better design for saddlebags, you, know, like the ones on the Multistradas (with no visible brackets when bags are removed).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Personally I miss an electronic suspension on the Ninja to adjust the suspension to the given load condition. When I ride to a hotel with a heavy load and go on a day trip the next day without load, I do not want to mess with the suspension. But basically the ninja is very interesting. It shows Ducati how the SS should have been.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Personally I miss an electronic suspension on the Ninja to adjust the suspension to the given load condition. When I ride to a hotel with a heavy load and go on a day trip the next day without load, I do not want to mess with the suspension. But basically the ninja is very interesting. It shows Ducati how the SS should have been.
We all have different tastes in motorcycles, that's for sure. Yes, I like the Ninja's features, but I HATE the styling - I'm not into Transformers or big, multicolor decals. Then there's the buzzy inline 4 engine - no thanks. "How the SS should have been"? Hardly. I wouldn't ride the Ninja as a gift, let alone pay good money for one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We all have different tastes in motorcycles, that's for sure. Yes, I like the Ninja's features, but I HATE the styling - I'm not into Transformers or big, multicolor decals. Then there's the buzzy inline 4 engine - no thanks. "How the SS should have been"? Hardly. I wouldn't ride the Ninja as a gift, let alone pay good money for one.
Sorry, maybe I should have been more precise in my statements. Of course I don't think the Ninja is as beautiful as the SS and I don't want Ducati to take the design as a reference.

What I meant is that the SX 1000 Ninja meets the objective requirements of a sports tourer better than the SS. The Ninja has a more relaxed sitting position and better possibilities to store the luggage. The only thing I miss on the Ninja is an electronic suspension.

Whichever machine has done this brilliantly too is the BMW K 1300 S. Perhaps the BMW K 1300 S was the absolute benchmark in the Sport Touring category.

·
Super Moderator
6,251 Posts
Whichever machine has done this brilliantly too is the BMW K 1300 S. Perhaps the BMW K 1300 S was the absolute benchmark in the Sport Touring category.
The BMW K1200S / K1300S were amazing Sport Tourers... I rode mine for 50,000 miles all over the Western US and Canada. Wish BMW would bring it back! So much better than the S1000XR in my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bonjour, pour ceux qui ce posent encore la question, une mise à jour sera faite sur la ss, elle sera disponible normalement fin février.

·
Super Moderator
6,251 Posts
@LoGaKu Welcome! Do you currently own an SS?

What is your source that indicates an update will be made in February for the SS?

21 - 40 of 60 Posts