Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I work in Ducati / kawasaki dealership, I ordered my 939 supersport in A2 license at the beginning of August, but my order was canceled. Apparently production is stopped and the last 939 in A2 license has been sold in Paris. That's why my order was canceled. Ducati announced at the dealership where I work, the release of a new model for 2021.
No details on the changes or the dates. The dates I announced earlier are the usual dates for new models at Ducati. That's all I know about it today I use google translate hope this is understandable.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Edited: I see it was already translated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wish Ducati would just announce this kind of detail. I am just about to buy a V2 but would rather have an updated supersport providing it isn't just a colour change!

Matt

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ducati have a campaign on Facebook at the moment:

'4 is lighter than 2. It can also be more compact.
October 15. Be ready to #ChangeParadigm'

Maybe too much to hope for?

·
Registered
201 Posts

That's probably referring to the new Multistrada. That bike has been all but confirmed and I'll add one to my garage in two or three years. I'm sort of of two minds about the use of a V4. I have a new Streetfighter and it's an absolute laugh how fast that bike it. I've never experienced anything like it and it's fitted to - hands down - the best bike I've ever owned. That said, that engine works great on a machine like that and to be fair, it actually produces pretty similar torque figures (~90 peak / ~70 around 3000 rpm) to the 939, but a big twin engine is more fun for just puttering around on. I shortened the final drive ratio on my SFV4 so it's savage down low but without wheelie control and traction control, it'd be unrideable when I get into higher RPM's; it's constantly trying to turtle itself over backwards when going WOT. I think on the Multistrada where you're maybe cruising along down a numbered highway the smoothness of the V4 could be nice. Indeed, it's silky and smooth as butter, but for what I used my SS for, I actually would prefer a twin. A bigger twin, yes, but still a twin.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Time will tell. I would have thought that Ducati would have leaked something to the Bike Press by now.

The Milan Bike Show would have been on November 5th and if a new Superpsort is in the offing, that would have been where it would be debuted. However the Milan Bike Show is cancelled this year, so whatever new bike launches there are will be 'soft launches'

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
4 cyl desmo engine? I'll pass on that. 32 valve adjustments. Even if they go with a traditional valve scheme, it still seems like a lot maintenance given the buried v4 configuration. More power and cruise control in the same package would be ideal. Complication and more maintenance pretty much defeats the purpose of a daily rider or tourer.

·
Registered
201 Posts
4 cyl desmo engine? I'll pass on that. 32 valve adjustments. Even if they go with a traditional valve scheme, it still seems like a lot maintenance given the buried v4 configuration. More power and cruise control in the same package would be ideal. Complication and more maintenance pretty much defeats the purpose of a daily rider or tourer.
My SFV4 has 15,000 mile Demso service intervals as opposed to the 18,000 on my SS, but I'm not sure if that's due to the tuning of the engine. It does differ slightly from the Panigale to widen the power band and supposedly the Multistrada will have a further de-tuned engine to make it more streetable. I'm not sure whether this would bring down the maintenance intervals, but it very well could. You have a good point about the 32 valve adjustments, though. I cringe at the though of what the Desmo service is going to cost me. Ultimately though I agree with you, though I would also like to see the same TFT interface as on the big Multi. I have the TFT but I don't have a fuel gauge, which I absolutely wouldn't put up with on a new SS. But an updated interface / cruise / 1260 testastretta and a linked suspension would be fantastic. I'd love it if the SS became a sport/touring rig in the vein of the ST1300, FJR or R1250.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)

Im afraid it is too much to hope for, unless they are going to turn the Supersport into a 4 cylinder 170 HP fire breathing dragon.

From the Ducati website:

Change Paradigm
A new V4 engine; a technological pillar based on four theorems expanding and improving state-of-the-art innovation. A new paradigm that elevates the sportiness written in our DNA towards fresh horizons of versatility and reliability.

Theorem #1 4 is lighter than 2
The adaptation of V4 to a smaller bore achieves the objective of a weight reduction of 1.2 kg compared to the previous V2 generation

Theorem #2 The Power is smooth
170 HP of pure sportiness. Powerful, smooth and always ready when needed. For a distinctive character, even more Ducati, at low, medium and high rpm.

There are 4 Theorems in total on the Ducati Website, with Theorems 3 and 4 being released on 08 and 13 October respectively. So looks like a few more weeks to find out.

So based on the two Theorems released so far, whatever bike they have lined up is 4 cylinder 170HP.

Extremely unlikely to be a new Supersport though :(

Ducati are tantalising us though. I think it will be a big brute of a Harley type bike - I may be wrong, but that's just my thoughts as why produce another Superbike when they have the V4, just released the V2 and have the V4 Streetfighter?

Strange though as there always seems to be paparazzi spy shots of new bikes before they are launched.

Reactions: paulb

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
My Google Feed mentioned that the new '21 Ducs are V4 Multi, aluminum frame Monsters and updated Superbike. I suppose if the Monster gets a new frame that it would also be on the next version SS if they continue production.

I'd guess a V4 MS would be a beast and give the big KTM a run. Does the aluminum frame mean that the Monster's would get the V4? I would guess that a detuned V4 would be much like the 11 degree V2 engine with extended maintenance intervals and smoother powerband.

I do question why the Duc V4 is being brought into so many models. For years, Ducati has resisted 4 cylinder engines and stuck with the V twin. Over the last few years, the performance advantage of 4 cylinder engine over twins and triples has diminished and more manufacturers have trended away from 4 cylinder bikes.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
It wou
I am wondering, and hoping, that a new SS V4 and 170hp is released. I guess I can only dream about...
Whilst I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at a bit more low down power, new dash and revised styling, it would lose all of its current (good) characteriscs if it was a V4 170HP and be unrecognisable as the Supersport we know now.

I think when/if a new Supersport is released it will be evolution (some really good 'minor' changes) rather than revolution (V4 170 HP).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I for one am hoping for an evolutionary update, specifically on the electronics (corning abs, etc.), better lighting, and then maybe a bit of power/torque. Nothing to take away from the current riding characteristics or looks, though. Hopefully we will hear next month?

Oops, should introduce myself first... I have been following this site for 2 years now, after me & my K1300S were run over by a 1 ton Dodge truck. Canvasing the market, the SS was my top choice as I figured the BMW would be totaled, but it was thankfully repaired (only $10k), and so I have continued to monitor the SS & this forum for an eventual replacement. With 50k+ miles on the K13, I considered buying last December, but pushed it out when there were no SS updates. Will I have to do that again? I really hate to buy 5 year old technology when the balance of the Ducati line has subsequently been updated- it isn't like they don't already have things in their parts bin, right? I have done a few test rides, and can live with the SS's lower power & torque, esp given the lighter weight & nimble handling, but the power & features fall farther behind the "competition" every year in this price point/segment.

In any case, I know this is a niche product- I haven't found another SPORT touring (big sport, little touring) bike that checks my boxes: some wind protection, doesn't look like a dual sport, doesn't have a bolt-upright seating position, and works for me in the twisties and on some 400 mile days. And I find the SS drop dead gorgeous. I am really hoping for a SS update, to feed my emotional want and keep me away from the logical, practical, mundane other choices.

John

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
@JohnTex Welcome to the forum - enjoy (y)

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
@JohnTex Welcome! The K13 is a fantastic and special bike!

I did pretty much the same thing...went from a BMW K1200S that I had for 10 years, to the SS. (Well, also picked up a Ducati Scrambler, for different reasons, though.) If there’s any questions about the transition from the K13 to SS, glad to help.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I have friend with a K12. I'm guessing it's nearly touring 'Busa. I think it's also got the telelever front end? And the same bags as the SS. It does seem like a pretty reliable bike without the high dollar Beemer maintenance and repair issues.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
I have friend with a K12. I'm guessing it's nearly touring 'Busa. I think it's also got the telelever front end? And the same bags as the SS. It does seem like a pretty reliable bike without the high dollar Beemer maintenance and repair issues.
Pretty good summary of the K12/13. It wasn’t a perfect bike, but had many attributes. Long wheelbase had pluses and minuses...super stable at very high speeds. And it can hustle in the twisties, but with more muscle than a tighter, lighter sport bike. The long wheelbase enabled the rider to keep the front wheel mostly down even using the full 167 hp even in first gear, while exploiting all the power. And with so much torque, it could keep up or exceed even the quickest bike except at the very tippy top of the rpm (K redlined at 11,000). Definitely need to watch where it’s pointed when the throttle was opened. The SS is tame by comparison. Even the V2, not as quick. I’ve ridden a V4, but not fully opened...there just wasn’t the opportunity since it had to be in the very upper ranges of rpm to really feel the V4 thrust.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts