Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you with winter approaching and looking to lay your bike up, how do you look after your bike during this time.
Personally I spray some water repellent/protector on the bike, fill the tank, leave it connected to a battery maintainer and every couple of weeks or so start the bike and let it get up to temperature, hopefully this gets rid of any moisture on the bike and circulates the oil. Unfortunately I do not have any heating in my bike shed.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I grab a few blocks of silicon everytime I visit the dealer. Whenever they uncrate a bike they throw away the silicon packs and I like a tramp walk around collecting them.

·
Registered
998 Posts
There are some people that say starting it creates more moisture because of running it through heat cycles.

You guys will want to make sure your fuel doesn't have ethanol in it because it will collect moisture and the water will collect at the bottom of your tank.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Fill the tank and use a fuel stabilizer (Sta-bil), wash, lube chain, place on stands front and back, connect battery tender, cover, done. Check on it once a month, but don't start it. Has worked for me for almost 30 years, now.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I am feeling rather fortunate, where I live the weather is good all year round, perhaps a bit too hot for riding with leathers in mid summer but the other 11 months are perfect

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you use ethanol in your bike you will need extra care. Storage products might not be doing what you think, like protecting your bike. It is better to run the bike low on fuel and put in a gallon of real gas with a stabilizer and run the bike for 10 minutes or so. Real gas will not breakdown like ethanol or attract moisture. In the boating world it's changed from a full tank to empty takes if running ethanol.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Sta-bil makes an ethanol approved product, no? For my boat, it's a non issue because I use 100% gas exclusively.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Don't worry to much about ethanol as there is less than 5% in standard fuel in the EU including the UK.
Starting the bike is a problem unless you get the oil up to full temperature and keep it there for a bit to burn off any moisture in the oil. The trouble is that starting it and leaving it ticking over is not likely to get the oil to its full operating temperature without putting a load (riding it) on the engine. The temperature gauge will show that the cooling system is hot, but the oil will not be. There is also a theory that every start puts wear on any engine as it takes a few revolutions to get the oil up to pressure and be circulating as designed.
I just ride all the year round, much easier.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've seen a trial that showed K100 as the best fuel stabilizer on the market. it was able to keep the fuel/ethanol mixture homogeneous without moisture accumulation for the longest time compared to other stabilizers.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about this sh*t. I don't think I'll ever live where it snows.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did until 5y ago, putting it on some paddock with a battery charger on in an old shed.
The last years the shop does a winter service with (pick up) delivery and cleaning. So they pick my Monster up in November, service and cleaning. When they bring it back I put her in the warm living room (I know) on paddock and with the charger until early March (late February). No problem with the smell.
I notice that there is less corrosion building on screws, bolds and blank parts when I storage it in the warm living room instead of an old cold (moisture) shed.
The first years when I had my motorcycle I did some shorter rides (30-40km) in the winter every 2-3weeks to keep everything good. But after a really good winter (weeks of salt on the road) I started to store her.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For those of you with winter approaching and looking to lay your bike up, how do you look after your bike during this time.
Personally I spray some water repellent/protector on the bike, fill the tank, leave it connected to a battery maintainer and every couple of weeks or so start the bike and let it get up to temperature, hopefully this gets rid of any moisture on the bike and circulates the oil. Unfortunately I do not have any heating in my bike shed.
I have no power either :frown2:

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Bump for those whose riding season is coming to an end.

I'm going to use K100 (vice Sta-bil) in a full tank of fuel.

I won't have a chance to start the bike over the next 12 months so I'm going to pull out the battery but still put it on a Tender.

Will put the bike on a stand front and rear, cover it and that's it.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I’ve had much better battery life when I pull them and charge once a month or so then when I leave them in the bike on a Battery Tender. No idea why, and I’ve tried several brands and models of battery tenders but through the years I learned to pull them.

My winter procedure is: I change oil, clean the bike, use a good fuel stabilizer and a full tank of non-ethanol gas (I like Seafoam but whatever works), pull the battery, put the bike stands if I have them, and leave it sit until spring.

If you have a cover be sure it’s breathable, otherwise moisture can be a bear. And be sure the bije is clean before you put it away, but guts can be very acidic and I’ve seen them eat at the paint all winter long and leave bad spots behind.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I'm going to use K100 (vice Sta-bil) in a full tank of fuel.
I'm sure you're well aware but be sure and run a little of the mixture through the system before shutting her down.

I know of a few folks who have only put the stabilizer in there once the bike is parked...its needs to be run trough, first, for best results. My usual procedure is to add it at the gas station during the last fill up. That usually is enough time to work it through before I get home.

·
Banned
505 Posts
its best recommended that you must circulate the oil approx. once a month, start the bike let it idle until very warm [about 5 minutes] & don't put the cover back on the bike until its gone very cold

if left too long without running the engine & you don't follow this above the engine and seals become very dry...not good !!

52 years experience.. I have never had an issue or seen any corrosion.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Is fuel stabilizer necessary? This will be my 3rd winter storing a bike, 1st with the Supersport. I've never used a stabilizer before and never had an issue. Always just filled the tank, cleaned, and changed oil. Never started the engine mid-winter either. Are these things worth doing?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts