Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
345 Posts
I have a similar issue with my 2021 SS. It always struggles shifting up at high revs while accelerating, and apart from it being embarrassing as it bounces back in to the lower gear, it is dangerous if you have someone accelerating quickly behind you.
I have the same issue sadly. But mostly from 2nd to 3rd. The other gears are fine, but this "being embarrassing as it bounces back in to the lower gear," is really really annoying and happens 6 out of 10 times when I go WOT from 1st gear. Transition to 2nd is fine, and then from 2nd to 3rd I almost kiss my windshield and I look like a fool.

Reactions: Wez1809

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Supersport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I heard back from the tech - it's a bad DQS sensor. He is replacing the sensor. He does agree with me that the DQS does not work well for shifting from 1st to 2nd, which is why I never use it for that, but should work well for all other up-shifts and downshifts regardless of the rev range. Provided of course that you are staying on the throttle when using it while up-shifting, and letting off of the throttle when downshifting, which I do.
I haven't gotten my bike back yet, likely to have it late this week. I'll update everyone again once I ride it for some miles with the new sensor. I'm hopeful and confident that my issues will be resolved, but we'll see.
For those of you with similar issues, it may be time to take it in for service, or replace the sensor yourself if you are out of warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine is a ‘22 and having same issues. Doesn’t like upshift at high rev/throttle especially 1-2, occasionally 2-3. Downshift lunges randomly too. Have 1500 miles on the bike.
Sounds very similar to me. I think I will see if I can get it looked at by Ducati before my upcoming track day. Don’t see any point in having it if I can’t use it properly while on track.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Supersport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The verdict is in - it was definitely the DQS sensor! The tech replaced it, and I have now ridden my bike several times since getting it back. It is as smooth as butter shifting now. Any RPM's, up, or down. I still don't use the DQS when going from 1st to 2nd though. In fact, I think it works much better now than when I bought the bike new, but that could just be my memory. I should have taken it in to the shop sooner, I put up with the DQS performing poorly for 3 months.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The verdict is in - it was definitely the DQS sensor! The tech replaced it, and I have now ridden my bike several times since getting it back. It is as smooth as butter shifting now. Any RPM's, up, or down. I still don't use the DQS when going from 1st to 2nd though. In fact, I think it works much better now than when I bought the bike new, but that could just be my memory. I should have taken it in to the shop sooner, I put up with the DQS performing poorly for 3 months.
That decides it then. This is an issue which seems to be a real problem for many of us, but can be easily remedied. I am booking mine in tomorrow. Thanks for letting us know and for pushing the issue.

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Supersport S
580 Posts
I have had similar issues with my 2017, which I no longer have, and now on my 2018. It happens only on WOT from a standing start. 1st to 2nd falls back into Neutral and 2nd to 3rd sometimes drops back into 2nd. As others here have said it is not only embarrassing but dangerous. DQS shifts fine under moderate acceleration and even just steady throttle. I have cleaned/lubed shift rod and /DQS assy' with no improvement. My big concern is DQS version. Since it is no longer in warranty I would be paying for part myself. I can easily install the new DQS but I know that there are several versions and if I am going to pay for it I want to be assured I get the latest and greatest newest version. My Dealer has one in stock but the part # they have seems to be same version I have which is the "C" version. I researched a USA Ducati dealer website who noted that a "D" 4th gen version is a replacement for it. If you @BMont can give the part # that they used on yours that would be appriciated, thanks

Don

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Supersport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hey, Don - per my invoice, I got the "C" part. Part #55215484C
I have heard of the first 3 generations/versions of this part (A, B, and C), but I haven't heard or read about a 4th gen. Of course, that doesn't mean there isn't one. I am fortunate, and my repair was all covered under warranty and I certainly understand wanting to get the most recent version if you are paying for it.
The one question that I can't answer yet, is how long my new one will perform the way it does now. I've ridden about 200 miles with it, and it has performed flawlessly.

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Supersport S
580 Posts
Hey, Don - per my invoice, I got the "C" part. Part #55215484C
I have heard of the first 3 generations/versions of this part (A, B, and C), but I haven't heard or read about a 4th gen. Of course, that doesn't mean there isn't one. I am fortunate, and my repair was all covered under warranty and I certainly understand wanting to get the most recent version if you are paying for it.
The one question that I can't answer yet, is how long my new one will perform the way it does now. I've ridden about 200 miles with it, and it has performed flawlessly.
Great thanks for update BMont. The "C" version is the one on my bike currently. It was the same version my dealer has in-stock. I saw on Ducati Omaha that part number has been replaced with a "D" version. Although AMS Ducati in Dallas is not aware of this as/per an email inquiry. That is not to say my current "C" version is simply defective...Might deal with it for the remainder of season and look into it further in off season...It's not like I drag race it WOT all the time, very very seldom actually but...

Link to Ducati Omaha

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Supersport S
580 Posts
Yes I saw that too, Ed, it is puzzling seeing AMS Ducati are a huge dealer and have not heard of this either...

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Supersport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Here is the latest update after having my DQS sensor replaced. Today I went on a very, shall we say "spirited", ride thru the twisties here in NC. The DQS was again flawless, both up and down and at any rev range. And even though it doesn't make sense, it is absolutely smoother when shifting, and never "clunks" into gear versus when I got the bike new. Maybe some of that is because I have some miles on the bike??? My biggest regret is that I waited so long to take it in, it had to get to the point where I really couldn't trust or use it before I took it in.
Here's hoping this sensor lasts longer than the first one!

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
345 Posts
How much is that sensor, if warranty doesn't cover you?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is the latest update after having my DQS sensor replaced. Today I went on a very, shall we say "spirited", ride thru the twisties here in NC. The DQS was again flawless, both up and down and at any rev range. And even though it doesn't make sense, it is absolutely smoother when shifting, and never "clunks" into gear versus when I got the bike new. Maybe some of that is because I have some miles on the bike??? My biggest regret is that I waited so long to take it in, it had to get to the point where I really couldn't trust or use it before I took it in.
Here's hoping this sensor lasts longer than the first one!
Mine booked in for Aug 2nd. Sounds very positive. Can’t believe it took me so long too! Will report back once have tested.

·
Registered
2022 Ducati Super Sport 950S
17 Posts
I haven’t even used my DQS yet but as I read the owner’s manual it won’t work correctly unless it’s fully released in either direction and doesn’t matter how quickly it’s done. I equate it to a semi auto pistol. If the trigger is not completely released it won’t allow a second squeeze of the trigger. Makes sense from a mechanical stand point. The release is the reset for the next time whether it’s being shifted up or down. I put my bike in sport mode and want to try the DQS and I want to float my front wheel a bit. I’ll be cautious of course.

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
345 Posts
Had an appointment on Thursday. They tested it, test drove it and reset the QS.
It feels a bit better now, although not fully cured. But unless the issue becomes really really prominent and spreads to other gears and load situations, if have little hope to get it replaced on warranty.

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
345 Posts
@Invincible When the dealer “reset” the DQS, does that mean the tech turned it off and back on at the dash or something else?
Idk but I don't think so, as he hooked the bike up via diagnosis port under the seat and then did the rest from a laptop.
He said that the QS software is a bit self-learning and adapting to the driving behaviour, but that sometimes this goes wrong and needs to be reset.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Supersport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
That's an interesting perspective from the tech. I've never heard of a DQS system "learning" the riders driving behavior. On some DQS systems it is possible to adjust the programming/timing of the shifts via software. I can also buy into the idea that the programming may need to be adjusted or reset, but not that the software is "self-learning". Then again I could be entirely wrong??? Anyone else heard of a DQS that does what Invincible's tech suggested?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have a similar problem in my 2021 SS. It rarely works properly from 1st to 2nd, when downshifting it doesn't always shift smoothly to a lower gear either. I recommend you use it at revs between 5k-6k down and 7k-9k up....
I kind of agree with this. On downshifts it mostly works at lower revs but to be sure it does, it’s better to be higher up in the rev range. Same for upshifts, they can be really clunky up to about 5-6k but above that it usually works a lot better. Then again, maybe we’re just picky. When I complained to the dealer about this on my 939 I had previously, the reply from the mechanic was that it was working as intended.

In any case, the smoothness is certainly hit and miss at lower rpms. Sometimes buttery smooth, sometimes very notchy, regardless of how the shift is performed. I haven’t found a way to get to consistently do one thing or the other.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts